Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess it was going to happen sometime. My speedometer has started acting up. I guess I need to replace the "speedo" motors.

Are there any instructions out there on how to do this?

Is the best place to get replacement speedo motors at the dealership?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
7,702 Posts
Matt, it does sound like your stepper motors are "going south". :crying:

When you do replace them be sure to replace all five of them. The motors are cheap but the labor to remove the dash, solder connections, etc. is NOT cheap. So do them all at once. :wink2:

Hopefully there is a fellow Fanatic near you that can help you with this without 'breaking the bank.' :laugh:

Good luck.

===============
David :black:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure I can figure out how to take the dash part and what-not with the instructions posted on "the drive"

Its replacing the motors that I need some help with, lol

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,419 Posts
I'm sure I can figure out how to take the dash part and what-not with the instructions posted on "the drive"

There are several guys that solder and replace them on this site. Be patient and one of them will respond I am sure. Good luck.

·
Slingshot Rules!
61,412 Posts

Your best bet, Matt . . . contact Mike, aka: Dragon2U, for advice and/or assistance. He is in Atlanta which is not too far away.

As for the dealer . . . avoid if possible unless you want to spend the Big Bucks. Many years ago I had The Doophus's Stepper Motors replaced at my local Chevy Dealer and the bill was just shy of 1500 bucks.

Thankfully, the warranty covered the entire bill.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a company locale that will completely rebuild it for $192.00
Is that a good deal or am I getting burned?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Parts are $20 for all 5 motors with lifetime parts, I charge $20 for installation, you pay shipping........yeah, $200 is a little steep unless they will remove the cluster for you.
Well they told me they also replace some other stuff and totally rebuild it...But yea if its that cheap that's still a little high.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Parts are $20 for all 5 motors with lifetime parts, I charge $20 for installation, you pay shipping........yeah, $200 is a little steep unless they will remove the cluster for you.
So you charge $40 plus shipping to change all 5 out? (or is it $20 install per motor, so that would make it $120)

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Dragon2u have done things for me he is one of many on there who has knowledge Be careful who you let work on your cluster because simple thing if they use to hot of a iron to install the motors and damage the board then there is a bigger issue just my 2 cents worth.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,740 Posts
Just send cluster like picture .....
Dicktator
I do not suggest sending cluster as pictured above, I ask that you send it with the clear cover and surround attached. The reason is for needle issues during shipment. If the package has an impact there is a chance that the needle could move out of calibration from where it was set prior to shipment if there is no needle protection. The clear cover and surround prevent this possible hazard. You can ship this way, but I would prefer it come more complete.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I had mine done by someone in Lincoln NE while I had it out to fix the actuators. It almost immediately started acting up again. Does anyone ever get a defective stepper or an improper installation? You opinions?

Dave

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,740 Posts
I had mine done by someone in Lincoln NE while I had it out to fix the actuators. It almost immediately started acting up again. Does anyone ever get a defective stepper or an improper installation? You opinions?

Dave
If he is using the suggested steppers, the ones in the white cases and not the black case ones, then it is more likely there is a bad solder joint or something similar going on. I cannot guarantee 100% that there are never issues with the replacements but I have used hundreds of them and never had an issue.

Some people have used the cheaper black cased ones on their truck and friends trucks and had issues soon after installation. There is really no way to determine what ones you have unless to take the speedo completely apart and view the components. Having an improper or cold solder joint can sometimes be harder to tell, I always use a high quality solder with flux at each point. Lack of using a flux can cause a cold or improper joint too.

Could also be a deeper problem on the board or maybe the traces got too hot and and started to lift. I have seen where a soldering gun was used instead of a temperature controlled soldering station and destroyed the delicate traces that the steppers are soldered to. I have repaired more than a handful from people that tried to repair the steppers themselves and got too much heat on the traces. I have been able to repair the signal path that allow them to work properly again.

But, all this is hearsay without seeing it and examining it. Could be an issue not related to a stepper .... what exactly is the problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can someone comment/confirm my systoms & diagnosis?

Greetings All,

Driving home from work tonight I stopped for gas, A max fuel fill up (low range). Getting back on the highway all of a sudden I noticed I was doing 85, but it didn't feel like 85, and people were passing me. At the next light I was stopped and the speedo bottomed out at 15 MPH (not 0 mph). So as we rolled back to highway speeds the 70 mph became 85 and so on... I confirmed this with my GPS.

When I got home I turn her off and waited a minute and then restarted. Now the speedo jerked around some and then landed on 50 mph. Two more times with the same erratic movements, and I'm doing 140 in park. The speedo does not go successfully go through its min to max to min power on test.

Is this the servo problem? Or did I glitch a computer cal table somehow?
Do I need to do a system reset via battery disconnect??

Thanks in advance...

Zeke Grandview Texas.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
17 Participants
Ripshift
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing