Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2004 SSR last 5 vin 12772 Ultra Violet
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedometer and other gauges are not working properly. I'm afraid to take ULTRVLT to local dealer. The last time they didn't even know what an SSR was. Any recommendations for a mechanic in the Denver area? (Pic from Sante Fe rallly)
Sky Car Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

· SSR Believer
4,219 Posts
My speedometer and other gauges are not working properly. I'm afraid to take ULTRVLT to local dealer. The last time they didn't even know what an SSR was. Any recommendations for a mechanic in the Denver area? (Pic from Sante Fe rallly) View attachment 627344
Not that unusual... but agreed, I wouldn't take it to a dealer. It sounds like one or more of the stepper motors in your gauge cluster are failing. It's likely a fairly easy fix but before going any further, go ahead and post as many details as you can. For instance, when you start it up do all of the gauges in the dash sweep all the way to the end, back again and then begin working normally? If not, which ones are not working correctly? Is there anything else not working normally?

There are a number of folks here that can either walk you through the repair or at minimum give you the info needed to have someone else do it.

In the meantime, have a look at this DIY library. Look for "Cluster Removal":

Repair Procedures and Solutions – Simple Engineering, LLC

Nice photo by the way! (y)

As soon as you post additional details folks like @Dicktator, @Autoprof and others will be along to help you get things good as new.

· Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,661 Posts
I will add this to what @richsadams listed above
this is a list of people who offer repair services including steppers across the country.

· Premium Member
7,045 Posts
@ULTRVLT, Good info above. I had our UltraViolet done around 2018. The only regret I have is NOT changing the Face Plates to White with Red needles, so it could be seen during the day with Sunglasses on. Also it shows you joined in 2013, Soooo --- Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 https://www.ssrfanatic.com/threads/help-us-help-you-update.253718/#post-4337597

Click here for parts, help and tips--Simple Engineering, LLC – Chevy SSR Aftermarket Parts, Accessories and Repair SolutionsOwner Pinmap locate other owners and let them locate you. Go to last page to add your information.

Nick & Kathy

· SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 19yrs. Start 9K, now 166K miles
14,976 Posts
I do clusters. Many, many of them.

Stepper Motors - $60.00
Faceplate - White, Yellow, Red - $130.00
RED Needles - $75.00
LED bulbs (three times brighter)
Calibrated ready for install.
Postage $15.00

Pick and choose what you would like. Normally turn around is next day.

Ship Cluster too: (See Picture)
Dick Bellville
PO Box 14655
Clearwater, Florida
33766-4566

Email: [email protected]

PayPal: [email protected]

OR Include check in package.

Cluster Removal on My SSR How to Library: New folder - OneDrive (live.com)

Look up: CLUSTER REMOVAL 82019.pdf - Microsoft Word Online (live.com)

Dicktator

Picture 1. Just mail this part of Cluster.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2004 SSR Red
98 Posts
Not that unusual... but agreed, I wouldn't take it to a dealer. It sounds like one or more of the stepper motors in your gauge cluster are failing. It's likely a fairly easy fix but before going any further, go ahead and post as many details as you can. For instance, when you start it up do all of the gauges in the dash sweep all the way to the end, back again and then begin working normally? If not, which ones are not working correctly? Is there anything else not working normally?

There are a number of folks here that can either walk you through the repair or at minimum give you the info needed to have someone else do it.

As soon as you post additional details folks like @Dicktator, @Autoprof and others will be along to help you get things good as new.
I also used dragon2u. It was a bit time consuming to remove but it can be done. Great instructions on the forum.

· Registered
2004 SSR last 5 vin 12772 Ultra Violet
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

As soon as you post additional details folks like @Dicktator, @Autoprof and others will be along to help y

Oh no!! A wench with a wrench. I bought the fan from Simple Engineering when I first bought my SSR. I haven't had to do anything else since then. I find taking off the dashboard a bit daunting and I'm afraid I'll get started and not have the right screwdriver. Oh well, its winter and there is snow on the roads, so perhaps I'll give it a go. If not I'll just keep driving at whatever speed traffic allows!
ou get things good as new.

· SSR Believer
4,219 Posts
Oh no!! A wench with a wrench. I bought the fan from Simple Engineering when I first bought my SSR. I haven't had to do anything else since then. I find taking off the dashboard a bit daunting and I'm afraid I'll get started and not have the right screwdriver. Oh well, its winter and there is snow on the roads, so perhaps I'll give it a go. If not I'll just keep driving at whatever speed traffic allows!
ou get things good as new.
So I didn't see any additional details. Are you sure it's the stepper motor(s) that needs replacing? If so, it's not that difficult to pull the dash and the instrument cluster.

I was reluctant to remove the dashboard the first time as well. I've had it off three times now - first time to replace the stereo, then to replace all of the dash vents with new ones and the third time to remove the dash cluster and have @Dicktator replace the stepper motors, faceplate (with white), the needles and install LED lights. It's really not difficult at all once you get into it. There are no special tools required just a few metric sockets, Phillips screwdrivers and one of those inexpensive sets of auto trim tools.

It's best to do it all when it's warm-ish though. Most of the parts are plastic, much of it connected with metal and plastic clips and the whole thing is a lot more cooperative when it's flexible. If needed, you can warm things up with a heat gun or hair dryer as you go. (Put a little silicon lubricant on the clips before reinstalling and they'll slide right into place.)

Follow @Dicktator's DIY guide, take your time and you shouldn't have any trouble. Look for "Dash Removal" in the same place as you found the "Cluster Removal" DIY here:

Or here:

Quick tip: The only tedious part about pulling the dash is removing the passenger side air bag. It'a mounted with four bolts, two on the top and two on the bottom. As you'll see in the DIY guide, the two on the top are tricky to get to. Turns out the original owner of our SSR had the dash cluster replaced under warranty (stepper motors) and the mechanics that worked on it were kind enough leave the two top bolts out. I found this out by disassembling things a little out of the DIY guide's order. I emoved the glove box first which gives you access to the air bag's two bottom bolts. When I removed them (and the disconnected the electrical connector), the air bag came loose and slid right out. I'd see if that's the case with yours. It'll save some time and effort if so but if not, it's not that hard to do anyway.

Otherwise, if I can do it, you can do it! Just give a shout if you get stuck anywhere along the way... I and others here are always happy to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts