Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone recently sent me their speedometer to replace the steppers and take a look at why the DIC readout was blank. I did some research before getting the unit, many of the similar era Chevy Trailblazer and truck speedometers were known to have issues with resistor solder joints. I did not remember our circuit board layout but thought our speedometer would be similar in design so that is what I expected upon arrival.

But, as is the case with most things associated with the SSR, when I took apart the unit it was quite obvious that the design is NOT similar to these other vehicles. We do not have that resistor cluster located above the speed stepper motor. What I did find was a quite evident problem, a blown transistor in the display driver area. After sourcing and replacing the component and the steppers, all is good, yay!

I just wanted to pass this along in case someone was reading the numerous Youtube and other postings about this being a possibly "easy" repair. Sadly, our truck is again different from most of the others of the era and needs different attention.

Before and after pics, up and running like new again ........

Attachments

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,414 Posts
You are our "Mister Wizard" when it comes to the electronic ins and outs of our SSRs. :smile2:

images-5.jpeg

Thanks for keeping us going down the road, Mike! :smile2:

==============
David :black:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,496 Posts
Thanks----for continuing the search to keep us going!!

Nick

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts
I suppose the question now is "why did that component take such a catastrophic turn?" Looks like it took quite a voltage hit. Any clues in the schematic?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts