Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there from Germany,

may I ask the SSR community for help? We’ve had a gearbox repair a few weeks ago and since than speedometer doesn’t work precisely anymore. For example: speedometer shows 20 mls, real speed is 28 mls, checked by GPS.

Over the whole range of speed there is a difference of approx. 7 - 10%. Does one has an idea to help and support us to find the fault?

Looking forward for your answer. Thanks a lot

Burkhard Bechtel, Cologne, Germany

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
gearbox

When you say gearbox, do you mean the rear differential gears? If you changed ratios, you will need to program the computer.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
The 03-04 is very easy to do a speedometer change to due to a rear end gear change or a tire size change from stock, most hand held programmers and any tuner can do it.

The 05-06 is a little tougher, user "topspin" mentioned this issue not long ago, here is his input -

"For Speedo corrections, here's the latest info as of today (March 2016). I just spoke to Keith @ PCM for less. He can and does do the needed corrections - he claims to do several per week. The cost for a general performance tune, along with the speedo correction, is $265. You can send in your ECM or travel to their location in Stow, OH. Their # is 724 349 4431. If you send your ECM to them, expect 7-10 day turn around time."

There may be other tuners that can do it now, but modifying the speedometer section for the 05-06 SSR was not an easy thing to do. It took quite a few years to figure a way to do it.

If you know someone who has the "LS2 Edit" program or the "HP Tuners" program locally, those programs can also change the speedo. To date, I know of none of the hand held programmers that can change the 05-06 like the 03-04 and due to the age of the SSR I doubt that anything will change.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,106 Posts
“Gearbox” = Transmission

Hi there from Germany,

may I ask the SSR community for help? We’ve had a gearbox repair a few weeks ago and since than speedometer doesn’t work precisely anymore. For example: speedometer shows 20 mls, real speed is 28 mls, checked by GPS.

Over the whole range of speed there is a difference of approx. 7 - 10%. Does one has an idea to help and support us to find the fault?

Looking forward for your answer. Thanks a lot

Burkhard Bechtel, Cologne, Germany
The sensor for the speedometer is located in the output section of both the automatic and manual transmission. If assembled incorrectly, the gear on the shaft and the sensing coil could be out of position, yielding a weak or inaccurate signal.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts