Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While coming home from a car show my speedometer was running about 20 mph more than actual speed. I went on the forum and it appears it might be a stepper motor. I did the reset as was mentioned in the forum and all is right now. Will occur again or with greater frequency. I don’t want to get into a new gauge set unless Inhave to.

·
Daily Driver
8,948 Posts
The stepper motors are the weak link. Fortunately they are cheap whereas a new instrument panel is not and has to be reset for your truck.

The best bet is to go to the instructions on removing the cluster.
Then have Dragon2U fix it for a pittance. He will accept tips however, to entertain his better half into allowing the time he spends saving our butts and bank accounts. :yesnod

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
If a stepper motor is bad it is bad, either that or the mother board is bad, but 99% of the time it is the steppers. Not sure what you did to "reset" it other than to recycle the key a few times. That step really does nothing, could be bad again the next key turn or could be good until another week or few months.

You do not need to replace the entire cluster, the steppers are pretty cheap and there are tons of people that can replace them. Probably a few locals for $100 or so, as well as I and a few others on this forum offer the same service. As Bruce mentioned, take a look at the "how to" section of the forum and read how to take apart the dash. There are also some Youtube videos on how to remove the SSR speedometer and also how to replace the steppers.

REMOVAL

INSTALLATION

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I got my SSR my speedo was bad. Sent off instrument cluster and had all 5 steppers replaced. Watched the youTube video on how to remove/replace, was really pretty easy to take off and replace.

·
Super Moderator
13,974 Posts
You want to do this fairly quickly
When I swapped 3:73 to 4:56 it took me a couple years to get my odometer set up correctly
The upshot of this is Kate's odometer shows 5k+ more than actual

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank all of you for your input and comments! Wednesday I took my SSR to a local technician to be fixed. I’m 72 years old and have Parkinson’s. I was charged $305 to replace all stepper motors and replace all dash lights with white LED’s. Being local, I have someone too go back to easily, if I have any follow up problems. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,295 Posts
I want to thank all of you for your input and comments! Wednesday I took my SSR to a local technician to be fixed. I’m 72 years old and have Parkinson’s. I was charged $305 to replace all stepper motors and replace all dash lights with white LED’s. Being local, I have someone too go back to easily, if I have any follow up problems. Thanks again
Good choice and in my opinion good price !!! I'm too old too, 78 + to mess with this intricate "stuff" tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,883 Posts
That to me sounds like a very good price if you don't have any further issues. I don't relish getting into repairs as much as I used to, so for that money I'd be all over that.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts