Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my Magnaflow Catback Exhaust to go with the dynatech headers that have been sitting in the garage for a few months.

Opened the box like a kid on Christmas morning--to find they came with a DUAL SPLIT EXHAUST!! Can this be right??? I was kind of looking forward to the dual "cannon" look of the 5" tail pipes I have seen posted on other Fanantics rides! I can't imagine how the split tail pipes would look exiting the rear fascia!!

Has anyone else got these??

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Maybe if you could post a picture...oops I just realized that I have never posted a picture of my Magnaflow exhaust in the gallery....maybe I will fix that later.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Just so no one misunderstands: This exhaust is NOT a true dual exhaust. It merely has dual exhaust pipes OUT of ONE muffler. ALL the catback exhaust that I am aware of for the SSR, except the MTI Dual Shotgun true dual exhaust, are NOT "dual" exhausts.

In the Magnaflow case that Kevin is talking about, apaprently each of the two outlet exhaust ipes is further split at the tip into 2. I can't see how this can look good given the semicircular shape of the rear fascia on the SSR.

Kevin, I would ask if they sent you the wrong exhaust. This does not sound right.

Jim G

·
Registered
541 Posts
Dual mufflers

The Stainless Works chambered cat back has two mufflers. I consider it like a slightly over-sized x-pipe where the stock mid pipes come together at the flange and then split back to the dual mufflers. As close to true dual as you can get. And the x-pipe is a good thing, too.

Diggs

P

·
0 Posts
Kevin Honolulu said:
Just received my Magnaflow Catback Exhaust to go with the dynatech headers that have been sitting in the garage for a few months.

Opened the box like a kid on Christmas morning--to find they came with a DUAL SPLIT EXHAUST!! Can this be right??? I was kind of looking forward to the dual "cannon" look of the 5" tail pipes I have seen posted on other Fanantics rides! I can't imagine how the split tail pipes would look exiting the rear fascia!!

Has anyone else got these??
Kevin,

I have the Magnaflow system on my '03 and the tailpipes aren't split - they are bazookas. Did they send you the wrong system?

If you get the right one you'll be rewarded by a beautiful exhaust tone...

- psy

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
501 Posts
pipes

Hey Kevin,

Iv'e got an 03 that I had my freinds at Insane Exhaust install for me.I was going to order the kit from Magnaflow,but I got a much better deal with these guys.I had them use the 14" SS muffler,they made me a larger inlet pipe from 2.75 to 3",and re used my stock tips.This all saved me about $500-$600!It's a bit louder than the 18" muffler but sounds cool, and looks stock.
This really opened up the exhaust by splitting the system at the muffler with two 2 1/2" outlets and getting rid of that choked down single outlet with the split at the axle.the dynamaxx headers are awsome and you'll love them.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,209 Posts
vettegirl's exhaust

For most of us, the exhaust mods are the first step in personalizing our ride. The result is a sound that unique to each vehicle. This will be my first step (not yet taken) also.

I have looked carefully at the photos of the system that was installed on vettegirl's SSR. I believe that it has excellent system design that is worth consideration. The installation concept seems to replicate the standard corvette design and actually splits the system after the x-pipe. How do you think this compares to the standard Magnaflow system?

I'm curious about the difference in sound (both cabin resonance and rear tone)with two separate mufflers.

Your opinions??????

Mike

Attachments

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Mikem-2005: The 2 photos show a system very similar to what I have from MTI. You don't show the whole system, but a good exhaust will have the following features:

- Good headers designed for the LS eries engine (visually compare good headers like the Supermaxx ones to the stock manifold and you won't need to ask why!)

- All 4 oxygen sensors

- Good cats (the factory ones are pretty good, but the Supermaxx headers are availabe with the Dynatech fi flow cats, and they perform and fit very well)

- Some form of crossover or short shared larger diameter pipe to expose both exhaust volumes to each header/cat

- Two separate exhaust pipes with separate mufflers

- Good mufflers that flow well but are not obnoxious (obnoxious noise level is completely unnecessary)

If the system you pointed out has those features, it sounds good to me.

Jim G

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,209 Posts
JIm,

I have to assume that all three photos made it onto the thread....

If you look carefully at the first photo, you will see that the "y" pipe connected to the two cats is split in two. The second and third photos are for reference, as they show that the installer chose to put the mufflers as far to the rear as possible. Perhaps this eliminates a little cabin resonance.... or maybe it was a clearance problem.

Anyway, I think this is as good as it gets without headers..... Agree???

Mike

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Mikem-2005: My computer has for quite some time now consistently failed to show the FIRST photo in any posted array, including ones I myself post. I haven't had the time to troublehsoot this interesting but stupid problem.

After you alerted me to the presence of THREE photos, I randomly clicked in the vicinity of the two "dashes" that do show on my computer display (I don't see thumbnails, but rather a simple dash for each photo posted, except the first). That did bring up the first photo.

The crossover looks to be WAY down the line from the manifolds. Usually, it is considered best to have the crossover soon after the correct length of headers has been tarversed by the gases. I am curious as to why the installer did the crossover this late in this case. Since I am not a qualified exhaust resonance and expansion theory guy, I can't knowkedgeably comment on his deviation from the norm.

Jim G

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,209 Posts
Jim G-

If we were to only split the duals at the "Y" pipe just downstream of the cats and have true dual exhaust, the left system will have to travel farther to exit the pipe.... The X-pipe nulls out that unequal length very nicely, I'm sure. The only issue I can see is the distance of the X-pipe from the exhaust manifold. Do you know of an expert that could recommend a correct x-pipe placement for both the stock and header installations? Both installations will have a compromise position between the exact correct length for the left bank and exact correct length for the right bank. If it works out, we could establish a "standard" x-pipe installation position for optimum HP gain........ Is it worth the effort?

Temp measurement stuff has not arrived at my doorstep yet. Will let you know when it does.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts