Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking to buy an 06 and see a few with "Wings/Spoilers" and many posts on where to buy/paint/install but can't find anything on any pros/cons. Besides looking cool (in some owners opinion) is there any aerodynamic or other benefit? Also any good or bad brands to stay away from?
Would appreciate all views..
Thanks,

Wannabe Florida John

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,738 Posts
The big negative for me at least is having to drill holes in the deck to install and the fact I like that long "flight deck" looking back from the "cockpit". LOL

Dave

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I personally doubt if you get any real aerodynamic benefit from one at the speeds you will mostly be driving you R on the streets.....as far as the cool factor thats up to the individual, for me I like the stock look on back...just my $.02

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
I personally doubt if you get any real aerodynamic benefit from one at the speeds you will mostly be driving you R on the streets.....as far as the cool factor thats up to the individual, for me I like the stock look on back...just my $.02
Agree completely. Spoiler on the front looks great. I used the Kaminari because it made the front end look wider.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,322 Posts
Like so many different accessories the spoiler / wing is a personal preference. I think they look pretty cool and purchased one this Fall but need the winter to build up the confidence to be drilling holes for it in the Spring! I believe vetteman has stated before that he has one that does not need any drilling! Not sure what it looks like. Several different styles to choose from. Just make it your own!
:grin2:. :blue:

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
don't forget makes the lid heavier and more difficult to open. You will probably need new heavy duty struts.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
It is a looks thing mostly. Performance wise by the time it comes into play you have out run the speed rating on your tires. Most tires are only good to about 130 MPH. Most SSR drivers try to stay under that.:yellow:

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
How do you date an SSR?

I think entirely a looks thing. I like to keep my SSR as retro 50's as I can. That means no spoiler on the rear.

I do like the look on others, but keep mine as pure as I can except for the scoop that is relatively period correct.

IMO

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
You will like frt spoiler, until you hit curb or scrap going in a low drive way and you have to do repairs. We got potholes here on TN. that tear them up.

I was doing the math.
Front Splitter/ Spoiler around $400.00
Delivery to body shop about $100.00
Sand and paint and install about $500.00

So you have about $1000.00 or more in it and pray you don't damage it. That is what kind of scares me off right now. I am going to do it just got to get the courage and the money up.:yellow:

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
43,755 Posts
I got my spoiler from MPD 1 it bolts on the tailgate and I like the looks.
Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,902 Posts
Its just personal aesthetics, It adds nothing to performance or aerodynamics under 120 mph.
Unless its mounted to the Tailgate like the ASC spoiler it adds weight to the cover and you will need Simple Engineering struts to pop the lid enough to open it.
I personally like the clean look of the OEM deck. Others like the spoilers. It's a personal choice and if you want it and can afford it go for it!
Greg

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,318 Posts
On the other hand, won't a spoiler give you kind of a lift handle other than your finger if you have stock struts? Just a thought....

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,903 Posts
Here is the one mine came with and I really like the look.:yellow:

Attachments

Reactions: HUAW
1 - 20 of 32 Posts