Chevy SSR Forum banner

sponge foam around air cleaner

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  big-daddy 
#1 ·
saw a 05 with black foam around the edge of the air cleaner looks like it seals the cleaner housing with the hood do all 05 have and if so will the foam work on a 04 to direct the air into filter :flag

#2 ·
#5 ·
Purple Penelope: I have been calling Vararam's designer at least weekly since last spring.

They have had one issue after another in tyring to develop a good air intake solution. Two weeks ago, they were close but the uderhood heat was softening the plastic on some of their parts! They have since had the parts made from a more heat resistant plastic, but then had to evacuate because of Hurricane Rita!

They have now promised to send me a prototype kit to test, but I have not yet actually received it.

This lastest design borrows a lot from their C6 kit.

Jim G

#8 ·
Your parts guy made an error on the prices of the foam pieces if you got them all for $65! As I recall, the GM price for them was aboiut $29 EACH x 4 pieces or so.

I have never seen a price for the plastic side pieces, maybe because they have not actually bee made available yet? In which case, the foam pieces without them are not much good . . .

Jim G

#10 ·
Jim,
Do you recomend the Vararam over the K&N, Airaid or Volant systems
i have an '05 :ssr
Bard

#11 ·
It's hard to "recommend" a product that isn't even available yet!

The other products you mention all have fatal flaws in my opinion. The Vararam solution, if it actually works and ships, would be the first one that actually addresses the issue of working in a hot underhood environment.

If the Vararam solution does not hip or has a problem when it finalyl does, I would halfheartedly recommend the K&N Aircharger kit. That one makes at least some effort to surround the air intake with a shield to try to force inductino of more OUTSIDE air (from the grill area), but that big oversize off center hole that they run the air duct through makes their upper edge sealing efforts laughable.

K&N only claims around a 4hp gain for the system, but that's probably as much as you are going to get without going to a true cold air intake. And, that increase, and much more power to boot, disappears as soon as you get into hot ambient temperatures.

The vararam solution would work better, but I will not endorse a product that I have not actually used myself or at least seen credible results for.

I've often said that too many people that sell speed parts are one step above drug dealers. Some say it's a small step. Both types of dealers prey on two of man's oldest and more persistent weaknesses: the desires for more power and a different reality than the actual reality.

Jim G

#12 ·
JimGnitecki said:
It's hard to "recommend" a product that isn't even available yet!

The other products you mention all have fatal flaws in my opinion. The Vararam solution, if it actually works and ships, would be the first one that actually addresses the issue of working in a hot underhood environment.

If the Vararam solution does not hip or has a problem when it finalyl does, I would halfheartedly recommend the K&N Aircharger kit. That one makes at least some effort to surround the air intake with a shield to try to force inductino of more OUTSIDE air (from the grill area), but that big oversize off center hole that they run the air duct through makes their upper edge sealing efforts laughable.

K&N only claims around a 4hp gain for the system, but that's probably as much as you are going to get without going to a true cold air intake. And, that increase, and much more power to boot, disappears as soon as you get into hot ambient temperatures.

The vararam solution would work better, but I will not endorse a product that I have not actually used myself or at least seen credible results for.

I've often said that too many people that sell speed parts are one step above drug dealers. Some say it's a small step. Both types of dealers prey on two of man's oldest and more persistent weaknesses: the desires for more power and a different reality than the actual reality.

Jim G
Ok, that's fair enough. Since your responses are so quick, I have another question.
I also want to install, when they become available an upgrade to the computer. The choices I have come across are, Diablosport's Preditor, Hypertech III and Superchips. With your experience and knowledge, which brand might you recomend. :leaving

#13 ·
stock snout?

Jim,
With the stock intake box, cold air is being drawn from the opening under the "Chevrolet" badge on the hood. If the box is sealed, as on the 05, and the opening on the box is enlarged by cutting out the slots , wouldn't this accomplish clos to what Vara-Ram is doing?( assuming you have a high performance filter)

#14 ·
Big-Daddy: If you think that 05 induction system is really drawing all cold air, I have a bridge I would like to sell you . . . :) . It's betetr than the stock 03 and 04 setup, but definitely a long ways from what it needs to be.

DetTweety: Answering your question here would take WAY too many webpages! Two suggestions:

1. Do a search on this website using "microtuner" as a the search key. That will bring you all the overly lengthy postings I have ALREADY published here this year (I am NOT going to do it yet again!! :) )

2. Subscribe to my e-book. This topic will be covered bigtime and without space limitations in chapter 17 of the book.

To ensure that you do not make a mistake just because you are impatient, I will say this much here right now: the question is NOT merely which microtuner should you get, but rather should you get:

- A microtuner, or
- Tuning software, or
- A dyno tune that uses tuning software to reprogram your PCM

It's a lot more complicated question than you think it is!

I haven't written Chapter 17 yet, but when I do, I wll be absolutel stunned if it comes out at less than 10 to 15 pages or so.

This is THE big decision to make when preparing your menu of modifications (Chapter 12 in the book).

Jim G

#15 ·
Already have one

Thanks Jim, I already have a couple of bridges :lol
seriously I 'm trying to understand the advantage that vara-ram is bringing. It seems that its a matter of creating a better seal to force the intake of cold air only and then its a matter of air flow right? I've seen other vararam units and would like one, but I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever see one for the SSR. You wisdon is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.