Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
189 the LAST blur
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at the suggestion of a Bluestreak meeting a few weeks ago, the wife and I decided to make the trek from Palm Desert to Kingman for the Spring Fling. Nice turnout. Some impressive rides, met some fellow Canadian snowbirds and shared some interesting concerns with fellow owners. Speedie Dave was so kind to give the wife a deck lid strap and enough installation advice she might put it on herself. One thing is certain, we have differing opinions on show and go mods/accessories after seeing them in real. Unless I missed one, there was no 6 speed there. Owning a black R we gravitated to Steve and Helen Tidder and compared some stories, notes and received a helpful tip. Surprised there we few :black: R's in attendance and surprised how many:yellow: ones present AND all clustered together. Like a family!! Would have liked a shirt but Gord was cleaned out by the time I got him. Trader Dick was displaying a new 2 tone acquisition and we shared some value observations as I'm not in 100% yet. I still got a lot of Corvette in my blood and it's tough to loose. After spending 8 hours driving to and from, the 3 hours at the show went by waaaay to fast. Thought we would follow a tail end group back to the hotel but the silver supercharged R in front of us left us in the dust after the Rt 68 cutoff. Really Nice afternoon and looking forward to either Thousand Island Tour and/or Chocolate Bridge Run if I still have ours by then. Well Alex, I made it at least to a 1 Rally.

·
Spirited driver!
1,658 Posts
I was there as part of the Yellow cluster. Not planned, it just happens. I think the others like it that way as the :yellow: trucks draw the bugs away from the others. I too enjoyed the show and talking with everyone although the time goes way too fast. Can't wait to do it again somewhere else.

·
BLU SSR
3,537 Posts
Well at the suggestion of a Bluestreak meeting a few weeks ago, the wife and I decided to make the trek from Palm Desert to Kingman for the Spring Fling. Nice turnout. Some impressive rides, met some fellow Canadian snowbirds and shared some interesting concerns with fellow owners. Speedie Dave was so kind to give the wife a deck lid strap and enough installation advice she might put it on herself. One thing is certain, we have differing opinions on show and go mods/accessories after seeing them in real. Unless I missed one, there was no 6 speed there. Owning a black R we gravitated to Steve and Helen Tidder and compared some stories, notes and received a helpful tip. Surprised there we few :black: R's in attendance and surprised how many:yellow: ones present AND all clustered together. Like a family!! Would have liked a shirt but Gord was cleaned out by the time I got him. Trader Dick was displaying a new 2 tone acquisition and we shared some value observations as I'm not in 100% yet. I still got a lot of Corvette in my blood and it's tough to loose. After spending 8 hours driving to and from, the 3 hours at the show went by waaaay to fast. Thought we would follow a tail end group back to the hotel but the silver supercharged R in front of us left us in the dust after the Rt 68 cutoff. Really Nice afternoon and looking forward to either Thousand Island Tour and/or Chocolate Bridge Run if I still have ours by then. Well Alex, I made it at least to a 1 Rally.
Hold on till a full fledge rally! A three hour get together is fun , but three days gives you time to immerse yourself in the SSR World and get to know more of the great family that comes with ownership . Maggie Valley is in May and might be an option also , great area and usually close to 100 SSR'S . As a former Vette owner I understand your attachment to them but , there are 65 years of Corvettes and only 3.5 years of SSR production --- Vettes are a common sight , with only 24000 SSRs total , owning one makes you a member of a very special group entrusted with the care of a rare vehicle .
I hope you decide to keep your R but whatever you decide WELCOME to the family and hope to see you soon at one of the bigger gatherings coming up. (you know it is ok to have BOTH a Corvette and an SSR!):wink2:
:00000732: :blur:

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,665 Posts
Tom, Thank You for your observation of the "Spring Fling"! A 4 hour Show N Shine does not make a Rally. I think you only got to see the tip of the Iceberg. I take it you weren't at the meet & greet at the Loading Dock Lounge in Laughlin on Friday Night, or the "Sonic Run" on Friday Night? We also had a banquet on Saturday night at the Rio Vista Room at the Laughlin Edgewater...which in my estimation was a lot of fun! I was busier than a dog scratching flea's, as I was part of the organizing committee. I wish I could have got to spend more time with you! SSR Fanatic's are a wonderful brotherhood, if you are ever in the Edmonton area, you've got a nice clean room and bed, I'll even leave the light on for you! Anxious to see you again!

·
189 the LAST blur
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe next time.

Replay and Gordy,
I knew this was going to happen. After Dwight talked me into coming for a look-see bring the Mrs along as well, she would get to see admittedly a small part (tip of the iceberg) of what this community is all about. I enjoy this site by myself so taking the Enterprise Nissan PacBlue rental on the Sonic run was not going to happen. Ditto for the other functions. Ya, I know we missed some fun and socializing and 3 hours was not enough. I have a dilemma keeping me from going whole hog. I'm stuck chasing points in ncrs, have been for way longer than there have been R's around and am committed to several events this year. Being down to only 2 corvettes now and my 1st R makes this decision awkward and hard to enjoy both going forward. But at least she gave her opinion of what her ideal R would be and its very close with a few exceptions to the one in our garage that she really enjoys going out in....ocassionally. This may change when we get home and it's out on the road. Thousand Islands run is looking good with the "vettetruck". BTW The Salerno's truck was my wife's fav! so far.:puzzled:

·
189 the LAST blur
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well done job

Tom, Thank You for your observation of the "Spring Fling"! A 4 hour Show N Shine does not make a Rally. I think you only got to see the tip of the Iceberg. I take it you weren't at the meet & greet at the Loading Dock Lounge in Laughlin on Friday Night, or the "Sonic Run" on Friday Night? We also had a banquet on Saturday night at the Rio Vista Room at the Laughlin Edgewater...which in my estimation was a lot of fun! I was busier than a dog scratching flea's, as I was part of the organizing committee. I wish I could have got to spend more time with you! SSR Fanatic's are a wonderful brotherhood, if you are ever in the Edmonton area, you've got a nice clean room and bed, I'll even leave the light on for you! Anxious to see you again!
Wonderful event appeared well organized and enjoyed from the little we seen. Some people take for granted the work required to put a get together on. Ask me how I know. Even a small thanks will do with our ncrs local chapter and another corvette club cccc takes on a life of its own. Nor counting trying to get some Sponcers to buy in. Thought the each person $20 gift idea was thoughtful and a nice touch. Congratulations again and thanks for the open offer at the six. :smile2:

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
Tom, When you're in the Fanatic Family, It Doesn't matter what you Drive while you're there. Many have flown in and come to gather in a rental... No Sweat, no Harm, No Foul! Even, After you sell, you're Still Family. You're Not judged by What you drive... hence, Family ! We're more a Support Group rather than a "Club".... You've seen that, and it holds true at All Fanatic Rallys and local dinners as well. Get on those Aloha Shirts, shorts, and flip flops.... relax, you're in Good company now. Welcome and Thank You for coming out and supporting our yearly Rally.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Two things Tom like Yellow Bear said even if you fly in for a rally or drive a Yugo rental car just hanging out with everyone checking out the other trucks and learning about your R is worth it. Last year I flew out to Dennison Tx for the rally and had a great time only thing would have made it better would be to have my truck there.
Theres a rally at Watkins Glen you should plan on going to that one hell its just a run down the interstate from Niagara Falls.
As far as the yellow R's always parking together there are a couple thoughts on that I for one lean towards them always parking together in the school lot to pick the kids up or parking together waiting for someone to call for a cab. Hope to see you at a rally maybe even Watkins Glenn this fall, right now packing up for Daytona.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts