Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck was in a minor rear end collision and the insurance company and body shop colluded (I think) into requiring the rear cross member be replaced.
I've inspected it closely with a magnifying glass looking for cracks or deformation and can't find any. I have not mag particle inspected it or have not had that done.
You are welcome to come and inspect it if interested. I'm in San Jose Ca. Let me know if you need one. I'm guessing they are no longer available from GM parts direct.
Dennis

·
Spirited driver!
1,330 Posts
Hi Dennis,

If you are referring to the crossmember that is the tube that bolts to the frame under the seat area, many of us have upgraded to a much stronger 4-bolt version from Simple Engineering. Where are you in San Jose? There are few of us Fanatics here and we would love to meet up with you some time.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,587 Posts
I would suspect it is most likely bent or misaligned or something. Can't envision a body shop replacing something and an insurance company paying for the repair for no reason. Guess I would ask the body shop why they replaced it before I would try to sell it and pass a possible problem on to a fellow Fanatic Family Member. Just a thought.

Reactions: richsadams

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,254 Posts
Hi Dennis, If you are referring to the crossmember that is the tube that bolts to the frame under the seat area, many of us have upgraded to a much stronger 4-bolt version from Simple Engineering.
===========================

True that. Good call Lance.

(y)

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,297 Posts
my truck was in a minor rear end collision and the insurance company and body shop colluded (I think) into requiring the rear cross member be replaced.
I've inspected it closely with a magnifying glass looking for cracks or deformation and can't find any. I have not mag particle inspected it or have not had that done.
You are welcome to come and inspect it if interested. I'm in San Jose Ca. Let me know if you need one. I'm guessing they are no longer available from GM parts direct.
Dennis
A picture would be a good idea to help the question of what is being discussed.

Between this and the Battery Box you also have for sale, I would suggest that you take Lance (Poker Guy) up on his suggestion of a get together. I can see no down side, but I am a trusting sole and live too far south to help out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would suspect it is most likely bent or misaligned or something. Can't envision a body shop replacing something and an insurance company paying for the repair for no reason. Guess I would ask the body shop why they replaced it before I would try to sell it and pass a possible problem on to a fellow Fanatic Family Member. Just a thought.
Hi, thanks for the reply and comment. My intention here was not to palm off damaged goods on a SSR Fanatics member, but make it available if anyone could use it. The body shop said it was an insurance company requirement in rear end collisions. However, it was a low speed bump the tail gate was not damaged, just the lower plastic piece below the tail gate. This part is no longer available at GM parts direct.com. This frame member is straight with no visible weld cracks or damage. Since it is no longer available and parts for SSR's are becoming fairly scarce, it seemed a shame to just put it in the scrap pile. Also, like I said, it can be further inspected for straightness and mag particle inspected if desired. Hope this helps and clarifies the condition of the rear bolt in frame member. I can post pictures in the next few days.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
HA... I had a truck stolen a few years ago... and the repair facility wanted to replace MANY parts that were not damaged in any way... and the insurance company did not even question them on most. I raised hell with both, and was told by both... that this is just the way it is. The truck was not wrecked, but was filthy from a joy ride in the mud. They wanted to replace all the glass, saying it was possibly scratched and the insurance company just said ok without even an inspection. So.. my two cents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dennis
I'm adding several pics, hopefully this will give a better idea of what the part is and its condition IMG_E3829.JPG IMG_E3828.JPG IMG_E3830.JPG

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts