Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the store last night and when I came out there were 2 gentlemen looking over my SSR. We got to talking and one of them said he had seen the concept at an invitation only concept evaluation show about 7 or 8 years ago. One of the questions on his evaluation sheet was: If we built this truck/roadster and put it on the market for $15,000 to $20,000 would you buy it. Of course he answered yes. I guess by the time they decided to build it they changed their mind and raised the price slightly. LOL

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Prices

I decided to buy the SSR when I read that the price was going to be in the $32-35k range. I guess they raised the prices more than once.....

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
The "Price Vs Business Case"

I thought perhaps some of our SSR friends here would enjoy hearing at least some of the reasons why our SSRs are much more $$$ than orginally was planned/expected.

A quote from the book "SSR AN AMERICAN ORGINAL" Chapter One, GM Chairman and CEO, Rick Wagoner talking at a August 9, 2000 management conference, he candidly admitted that not every "i" was dotted or every "t" crossed or "every detail buttoned down." That might have been the understatement of the year.

Fact was, the SSR's "business case"--the plan involving how many be built at what plant, to be sold at what price, on what platform and with what content and componentry--was far from compelling or complete.

Given the high investment in the facilities, equipment and tooling necessary for any new vehicle and the hight costs of unique low-volume parts and components, small-volume specialty vehicles are notoriously difficult to build and sell at a profit. Since they must command high prices for any hope of turning a profit, most that survive for more than a few years are ultra-performance, ultra-prestige or both. Chevrolet's own Corvette, despite its 50-year legend and sales success, has narrowly escaped cancellation many times during periods when GM could ill afford non-profitable products.

Wagoner and nearly everone else at the GM wanted badly to build this beautiful roadster/pickup as a "halo" vehicle for Chevrolet and a strong statement that the company was back in the auto excitement business--but they could not afford to lose a lot of money doing it..."

Thus early thougths of between $15,000 - $30,000 were merely a pipe dream by some that were wishing/hoping for a much more afforable roadster than reality would bring to the consumer. I for one actually think having it more closer to a vettes price is much more desireable for many reasons that I can not print at this time. So enjoy the fact Chevrolet decided to build this dream machine for people like us.
:flag

1 - 3 of 3 Posts