Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a 2005 SSR with 78000 miles from a dealer up north and when I first start it up it has a loud engine noise for about the first 10 minutes. I have read this is normal but when the whether just got a little cooler here I noticed its quite a bit louder and I find it hard to believe this is acceptable to other owners. I was a Cadillac GM Tech for 28 years and retired in 2004 but in all the years I was in the business I never heard a knock like this that was normal. I haven't changed the oil yet but I was told by the Chevrolet dealer I purchased it from said they changed the oil with a synthetic blend recommended by GM and I do see a Delco oil filter on it. The local dealer I brought it to said its not worth tearing it down because they may not even find anything on it and all the 5.3's and 6.0 have this.

Any advise?

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,234 Posts
Nick, From another Nick, I don't think it is normal, but can't give more advise. I'm sure others will! Meantime----Welcome from Forney Texas!!!-----Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi Nick -

Welcome to the Forum from North Texas.

I have a :yellow: '06 with 67K miles on it and I don't have engine noise when I first start. I wouldn't think this is normal. Something else, as I read your post - Chevy dealer did an oil change with synthetic blend recommended - Mobile One is the preferred oil and it is a full synthetic and not a blend.

Just my .02 cents and it won't even buy a cup of coffee.

Greg

Hello,

I just purchased a 2005 SSR with 78000 miles from a dealer up north and when I first start it up it has a loud engine noise for about the first 10 minutes. I have read this is normal but when the whether just got a little cooler here I noticed its quite a bit louder and I find it hard to believe this is acceptable to other owners. I was a Cadillac GM Tech for 28 years and retired in 2004 but in all the years I was in the business I never heard a knock like this that was normal. I haven't changed the oil yet but I was told by the Chevrolet dealer I purchased it from said they changed the oil with a synthetic blend recommended by GM and I do see a Delco oil filter on it. The local dealer I brought it to said its not worth tearing it down because they may not even find anything on it and all the 5.3's and 6.0 have this.

Any advise?

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Filter bled off?

My truck had a "clatter" at start up and lasted about a mile after. I changed to a good filter with a good checkvalve, no more start up clatter. What you are describing sounds much worse but it would cost $10 to check.

Jack

·
Crazy Horse
659 Posts
Hello Nick!

Welcome.

Two things. 1. A knock is usually a piston. 2. A ticking sound that quiets down is usually a valve lifter. If it's knocking get it back to the dealer you bought it from because eventually it's going to fail. You could crack a block or damage a head.

If its ticking, run mobil1 for a few thousand miles, change the oil and filter again. If hasn't stopped then, you can have the motor flushed then put Mobil1 back in. Mine is quiet now but did have a noisy lifter.

My own experience.

Mike Garner AKA Light Show

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I agree with several of the above who recommend you change the filter. A/C makes filters with check valves and some without. Get the A/C part number and compare it to the specs on their website, then you will be sure.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,906 Posts
My 2005 has 40,000 miles on it and it has minor modifications and a super dyno tune and the engine is very quiet. These trucks sit still a lot especially in the winter so they can get gummed up.
1. If it makes noise on start up but goes away it may be a lifter, or not the right oil, or not the right filter, or not full enough.
2. To start with the cheapest cure my recommendation would be to drain oil, and change filter and put an extra 1/2 or full quart in with MOBIL ! oil and MOBIL 1 filter. These engines have an odd oil pan and suffer from slosh when hard acceleration or braking or cornering so we put more oil in then called for. The engines are also very picky about filters and bypass valve pressure and that is why run MOBIL 1 filter only.
3. Drive it a little and do this procedure in #2, two or three times to drain the the sludge out. Even if it cost $50 each time and works it is much cheaper then a rebuild.
4. If the sound is still there it may in fact be a piston slap and a rebuild would be a lot cheaper then waiting for it to come apart. Get a second or third opinion. The shop that said they all do this is wrong.

Good luck and a big hearty welcome from SUNNY STURGIS SOUTH DAKOTA!!!!!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Cold start piston slap is common in the 5.3L and 6.0L. Whether an LM4, LS2 or the cast iron full size truck engines.
GM states this is several bulletins over years.
One member has over 220k miles SSR on his 2003, and the piston slap is consistent, even when warm. It still runs fine, just sounds like a knock.
Unless you frequently do 6000 RPM shifts, I would not be too concerned.
As suggested, dump the semi-synthetic (NOT correct oil for the LS2) and put in 7 quarts of a good FULL synthetic Mobile 1 or AMSOIL, or Royal Purple and a high quality filter.
Check the oil level ever 1000 miles ( 2005 LS2's sometimes have vanishing oil issues)
Drop the top, and enjoy. :smile2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
My corvette sounded loud with slap all the time I owned it. I guess it did no harm as it ran just as good 7 years later when I sold it as it did when I got it... and still had the slap. Used mobil one in it..

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Piston slap/knock was considered normal on my 2002 Avalanche. The colder it was the more you heard it. Still the same all of these years. I will let it warm up when it is really cold BUT nothing like you are telling us? The tech in you seems to know this in not normal. After all you are an expert after 28 years. I'd have to get other tech opinions and that is hard to do as they need to hear the noise from a stone cold engine & that takes up a lot of time & is a p.i.t.a to accomplish. I wish you good luck.......

Bird

·
DFW TX Crew
1,435 Posts
Nick, you say you were a GM tech for 28 years then I'd think you'd know what sounds normal and what sounds excessive. I'd go with your gut on this one, yes a little slap is supposed to be normal but if you think it's more then a little you might want to have it checked out...

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Welcome from northeast Texas I had a 04 and when I first started it there was lots of noise at 125k so I would keep oil changed drove it to 161k sold it and it still noisy when it first start I bought 05 with 98k it has some noise not like 04 so i drive it now has 113k going to take it on 3500 mile trip starting in 6 days. You have done this stuff for a while do what ever you would tell your customer keep us updated

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
slap

There are some good videos out there where the reason for the piston slap occurs. It is actually a poor design issue. I believe it had to do with shortening the piston skirt due to the need for more rotating stroke room / clearance.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that this was inherent to the design of the LS2. Pistons are slightly, (microscopically,) figure 8 shape with the "waist" at the wrist pins. This results in a slight rocking of the piston upon cold startup, but, as the engine warms to operating temps, the 8 shape rounds out and the slap disappears. Just my 2 cents. I'll stay tuned for more expert input.

:yellow:
Willie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much for all the input, advise and welcomes!! I really like this forum and site and have been looking on as a guest for years. I always wanted an SSR but the timing was never right until recently. As you can tell I am a newbie and will update my profile soon. :)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Thank you so much for all the input, advise and welcomes!! I really like this forum and site and have been looking on as a guest for years. I always wanted an SSR but the timing was never right until recently. As you can tell I am a newbie and will update my profile soon. :)
If you worked on Cadillacs for 28 years, the SSR should be child's play.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts