Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kwik lift rated for 5000 lb. I know that the SSR weights in near that amount. I am reluctant to put the R on the lift and was wondering if anyone has done it and feel safe.

·
Premium Member
9,314 Posts
I want to get a four post lift, and won't settle for anything less than a 9000 lb BendPak lift.

Even with extra bracing to make sure it doesn't collapse, I would have a hard time trusting a lift system so close to maximum. If you have anything in the trunk, or even a full fuel tank, you're probably over the edge.

I would at minimum have the SSR weighed with a full fuel tank, and normal load.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
The Kwik Lift has telescoping ramps to adjust the length, I would be most concerned about those with the weight right at the rating. Manufacturers always factor in a safety factor when providing the max capacities mainly for liability reasons. I suspect the ramps are sturdy enough for the SSR but personally I don't care for the way they are made. The telescoping ramps could easily get tweeked and bind which would make future use very difficult. You still need a minimum 2-1/2 ton rolling hydraulic jack with a 19" min lift to raise the back of the ramp and drop the legs.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I have had one since 1997 and have had 3 SSRs on them and they all had headers, gears, and transmission work done on it. My present 03 is sitting up on it waiting for me to come home, working out of state, to install headers on it. I am (was) 6'4 and 260# and I still crawl under it to do my work. I feel it is a good product. You asked and my $.02. I have a neck problem and can't work under a 4 post lift. This is why I left Chevrolet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not questioning the kwik lift capabilities to work on other cars. I love my kwik lift and have had many of my cars on it including my corvettes, c/10 stepside, and my 37 Ford coupe. I was just concerned about the SSR because of its weight. Thanks for the replies.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
I want to get a four post lift, and won't settle for anything less than a 9000 lb BendPak lift.
Even both my BendPak HD-9 (9000 lb) extended length lifts just barely meet the 75% down rated capacity for the SSR's 116 inch wheelbase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts