Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Spirited driver!
1,102 Posts
Costco will take the return even after ear removal. It just so happens that I have personal experience with this. :whistle:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,656 Posts
You have to trim the extra material off the ends that is used for the handle/strap carrying thing. If you get a size 78 (or 100) battery that doesn’t have the extra flange on the top, it will drop right in. I’ve installed about 20 of them and trimmed about 18 batteries...... just part of the program. The limiting dimension is always the length of the battery.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Skip
When I changed mine in November I pulled out a "78" took it to Costco and picked up another "78" I too have the spare tire kit and relocated battery box. I found easiest to drop the box out to ground to exchange the battery. I used a floor jack to lift the new battery and the box back up to align the slots and then once it started on the slide rail then manually push it up to a locked position.

Let me know if you need assistance.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bill
Thanks for the offer. Did you cut the "ears" off the battery?
I still have an issue with my shoulder after the rotator cuff reattachment surgery so going to get someone to do it.
My mechanic buddy told me to bring it on by he would do it. I want to check all the ground connections while its on the rack.
It was too wet today didn't want him to work under a wet truck so probably will take it in tomorrow.
Again thanks.
Skip

·
SSR Believer
911 Posts
No the Interstate battery I bought at Costco "78A" ( what the A stands for I have no idea) fit into the box with a little bit of room on each side. No trimming was necessary.
Interesting. So this one fits in Mike’s spare tire kit battery box with no modifications?

This one didn’t have the carry handles or anything else on the outside edges that might need to be removed. Looks like the one to get.

That’s the only one they had. Didn’t see a 78”A”. Wonder if there’s a different one?

TIA!

8283017F-EF70-4828-A3C3-0C57B2830769.jpeg

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No the Interstate battery I bought at Costco "78A" ( what the A stands for I have no idea) fit into the box with a little bit of room on each side. No trimming was necessary.
My Costco only had the 78, no 78 A. I had to cut the "ears" off. My mechanic installed it for me today at no cost. Good to have a friendly mechanic.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
A correction is in order

This is what happens when I try to remember, but I could not locate the Costco receipt when I wrote the original note.

What I replaced was a ACDelco 78A (the 'A' stands for Advantage; strictly a quality grade which after further research is their lowest level) I installed a 78 Standard from Costco. I apologize for any misrepresentations.

And no I did not need to trim it to fit.

·
SSR Believer
911 Posts
A correction is in order

This is what happens when I try to remember, but I could not locate the Costco receipt when I wrote the original note.

What I replaced was a ACDelco 78A (the 'A' stands for Advantage; strictly a quality grade which after further research is their lowest level) I installed a 78 Standard from Costco. I apologize for any misrepresentations.

And no I did not need to trim it to fit.
If that's the worst thing that happens today, it's a good day! :LOL:

The one at Costco pictured above seems like it wouldn't need any mods since there are no "ears" or carry strap or anything on the sides. Guessing that's what you must have gotten. (y)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts