Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a website to get a price quote on a SSR Blackbird. I saw a picture in a car magazine and I think it really looks sweet! The added HP also helps ;) Have ya'll seen anyone of them?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to the webpage, but I am unable to find a price on it. Do you have any idea as to how much more than a 2005 SSR? I like the upgrade of the Vette engine for the '05.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Here's the text and pics

ASC Chevrolet SSR Blackbird 425
Not Just For Fun

By MIKE SUTTON

AutoWeek | Updated: 08/16/04, 12:00 am et

As cool as Chevrolet’s retro-cruiser might look, critics of the SSR point to its excess weight, saying it’s under-powered and lacks the handling ability expected of a sport truck. American Specialty Cars, having worked with Chevy to design, develop and build SSR, is uniquely suited to take this truck to the next level.

The Blackbird 425 features a host of performance and aesthetic changes that address many of the stock SSR’s more mundane characteristics. Named after the U.S. Air Force’s SR-71 Cold War spy plane and for the 425 hp underhood, this SSR’s stock 5.3-liter V8 gets forced-induction help from a Magnuson Roots-type supercharger rated at six pounds of boost. The cold-air intake integrated with the stock hood and the dual exhaust system (with custom tips) increase airflow through the powerplant, dramatically improving throttle response and overall thrust.

Though weighted by its stout—and very cool—retractable hardtop, the Blackbird is spirited and light on its feet compared to the standard SSR. All of which makes us look forward to the 6.0-liter, 390-hp V8 and six-speed manual combo slated for the 2005 SSR.

ASC uses Bilstein shocks and shorter springs to give the Blackbird an aggressive stance. This suspension modification limits most of the SSR’s body roll. With Z06-style wheels from Davin wearing Michelin 245/40R-20 rubber up front and 285/35R-22s out back, handling improves. However, never once during a cruise along chuckhole-laden highways did the Blackbird’s firm ride become overly harsh or unsettled. To match its acceleration, massive 15-inch Brembo disc brakes are installed up front, with 12.8-inch units in the rear.

The performance improvements are signaled by a host of body and interior modifications. ASC uses carbon fiber for the nonfunctional hood scoop, as well as for the rear splash guards and a new rear fascia that incorporates custom exhaust pipes. A low-profile composite spoiler is added to the tonneau cover, and body-colored rocker panels take the place of running boards.

Carbon fiber trim on the gauges, door panels, instrument cluster and center console adds to the Darth Vader look—and replaces the shiny, cheap-looking stock plastic. Titanium-colored pieces accent the seats and door panels, while a Blackbird 425 badge between the seats reminds that you’re not in a normal SSR.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts