Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there certified SSR mechanics? I undertand that Corvettes have specially trained mechanics.

Reading some of the challenges encountered by other owners and not being mechanically inclined (it took me awhile to figure out why rotating the tires was funny). Are there any other "red flags" that would indicate I shouldn't leave the Roadster?

Kim

·
Registered
221 Posts
redheaded willi said:
Are there certified SSR mechanics? I undertand that Corvettes have specially trained mechanics.

Reading some of the challenges encountered by other owners and not being mechanically inclined (it took me awhile to figure out why rotating the tires was funny). Are there any other "red flags" that would indicate I shouldn't leave the Roadster?

Kim
I have found that the Chevy Dealerships around here, have one tech. who works on the Corvettes, if you make it clear that you only want the Guy or Gal who dose the Corvettes to work on your SSR you may be OK.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
SSR Techs

JRYS said:
I have found that the Chevy Dealerships around here, have one tech. who works on the Corvettes, if you make it clear that you only want the Guy or Gal who dose the Corvettes to work on your SSR you may be OK.
I'm told that there are specialty techs, for each task of a maintenance.
IE: Tire techs, Oil & Lube techs, Suspension, etc.
There is no particular SSR tech, that I know of, in any dealership in our area.
Perhaps a dealership in this area could garner all the service business, if they looked into establishing that type of Service.

·
Registered
178 Posts
GM has several different levels of mechanics. I am fortunate to work at a dealership that employs 2 of the 50+ "World Class" mechanics in the country. That's 2 out of all the thousands of GM mechanics working at all the GM dealerships around the country. My SSR is in quite capable hands.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Good Hands

Coz said:
GM has several different levels of mechanics. I am fortunate to work at a dealership that employs 2 of the 50+ "World Class" mechanics in the country. That's 2 out of all the thousands of GM mechanics working at all the GM dealerships around the country. My SSR is in quite capable hands.
COZ,

Does that mean there is one tech whom your dealership might assign all tasks of any maintenance, for my SSR?

·
Registered
178 Posts
You could certainly ask. I don't lnow if they would use a world class mechanic to change your oil or rotate your tires, but I wouldn't trust my drive train to anyone else.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Don't believe the GM game they just call someone who works beyond a certain time at GM a Corvette Tech. It's a play on the Viper Techs who really go to the factory. I now drive a C6 and it's my 7th vette over the last 20 years and there are NO Corvette techs. I also had an 04 Viper another great american car but very crude so like 75% of Viper owners I dumped it within 3000miles. I now want an 05 SSR six speed even though I know the mechanics at GM work on anything and everything. Is this crazy YES but the Forums keep me informed so I can guide the service writers and mechanics, Sad but true Ill let you know when I find what I want

·
Registered
487 Posts
Someone you can Trust!!!

I have been looking for a dealership to handle the warranty work on my SSR.

All of you who met Dale King at the Tire Pros Event in Corona know what a great, knowledgeable guy he is. I found out the other day that Dale had reached the highest mechanic position obtainable with GM long before he opened his Tire Pros store. He was the guy who the other GM mechanics would go to with questions.

Dale offered to personally call and set up any warranty work I need with with the mechanics he knows and trusts. I don’t know what dealership yet, but I’m getting my list together.

I’m sure he would be helpful to anyone in the area.

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'am the only one at my store that works on SSRs. But other than the top,the SSR is nothing more than a trailblazer. The only thing that GM trains us on for the SSR is the top, and it isn't that hard to work on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mechanics

Thanks for the posts, its helpful to learn what is out there.
The biggest help is this forum, not only are there lessons learned, there are solutions provided (so the radio reception wasn't my imagination).

I also so EE OOR(spelling) today on highway one. I think my third sighting of an SSR.

Kim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts