Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,055 Posts
Cool, but who are Ted & Shirley Robertson - credentials please about the SSR
Maybe I am an engineer - HaHa!
What did he or she do?
It seems he may be a current GM employee that knows a bit about the SSR?

·
Spirited driver!
1,669 Posts
His Bio"

A registered professional engineer, Robertson retired from General Motors in 2002 and joined ASC as vice chairman for product development, leading the design of the Chevrolet SSR. His career at General Motors spanned more than three decades and included a variety of engineering management positions and awards. In 1998 he became chief engineer of mid-sized trucks and won the Motor Trend Sport Utility of the Year Award for the GMC Envoy and Truck of the Year Award for the Chevrolet Trailblazer. Named chief engineer for Global Luxury Vehicles and all rear-wheel-drive cars in 1995, Robertson was responsible for designing the next generation of Cadillacs, including the CTS. He also served as the chief engineer for Camaro Firebird and as chief engineer for General Motors of Canada, where he began his career in 1968. He also worked in the Buick Motor Division in emission control design.

If you Google search "ted robertson" ssr you will see multiple references to him as the Chief Engineer for the SSR.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,633 Posts
SO------There ya go!! As usual---Ask and you shall receive!!! Thanks

Nick

·
Super Moderator
14,055 Posts
His Bio"

A registered professional engineer, Robertson retired from General Motors in 2002 and joined ASC as vice chairman for product development, leading the design of the Chevrolet SSR. His career at General Motors spanned more than three decades and included a variety of engineering management positions and awards. In 1998 he became chief engineer of mid-sized trucks and won the Motor Trend Sport Utility of the Year Award for the GMC Envoy and Truck of the Year Award for the Chevrolet Trailblazer. Named chief engineer for Global Luxury Vehicles and all rear-wheel-drive cars in 1995, Robertson was responsible for designing the next generation of Cadillacs, including the CTS. He also served as the chief engineer for Camaro Firebird and as chief engineer for General Motors of Canada, where he began his career in 1968. He also worked in the Buick Motor Division in emission control design.

If you Google search "ted robertson" ssr you will see multiple references to him as the Chief Engineer for the SSR.
Thanks Lance, I keep seeing data about people that take credit for the design of the SSR - we are getting into the dozens
It is stuff I need for the Heritage Centre - never heard of Mr Robertson
It seems he was part of ASC, so not a GM Design guy when the SSR was built
ASC played a huge part in the development of the SSR, but not considered part of the SSR design team in my opinion
It seems as Mr Robertson was at ASC as the SSR was built. and much of the SSR build was done at ASC
Certainly sounds like a guy that would have been very much involved in the SSR development - and thanks - I would love to talk to Mr Robertson

I'm not disputing anything here, just stuff I don't know

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
I was surprised when I looked at Doug Ungemach’s LinkedIn page. He was never a GM employee but he was an ASC employee at the time he drew the “Slammer” concept. I’m wondering if ASC had even more to do with the SSR design than GM is willing to admit.

·
Super Moderator
14,055 Posts
I was surprised when I looked at Doug Ungemach’s LinkedIn page. He was never a GM employee but he was an ASC employee at the time he drew the “Slammer” concept. I’m wondering if ASC had even more to do with the SSR design than GM is willing to admit.
As you guys know, I have a lot of opinions, not all of them correct
I did not know that Ungemath was not a GM employee, but I do consider him as the guy that drew up the SSR on a diner napkin, so the story goes

For sure, ASC had a ton to do with the build - check out ASC in the Heritage Section, a Thread of mine
I'm sorry, I just do not know who this fellow, Ted Robertson, is from ASC

We have Paul Wilbur who was the CEO of ASC that had the Lambo Orange custom done for himself - but #17466 left LCC as Smoking Asphalt
It went back to ASC and was custom painted
The #301 6sp LS2 totally custom Bonneville Salt Flat Push Truck left LCC as a black automatic LM4
It took me a long time to figure out which one this was - magazines kept calling it a 2004, but it was a MY2003, one of the very first out of the gate, probably #2.
There we had it, a 6sp LS2, but custom done by ASC, California Customs and GM
The ability to do the 6sp LS2 was there from day 1.
There were others custom done out of ASC, but at the end of the day, every SSR left the gate out of the LCC
And again, I have to do this Exception clause that I continually have to do when discussing the SSR, - I think 5 Signatures were built at ASC before LCC was up and running

Ooosh!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
If Mr. Robertson was involved with SSR, it would have been nice to pick his brain on how to increase rotor diameters and a conversion to five (5) bolt mounting using existing parts for economy. WSK

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,667 Posts
Me Thinks J.E. Ted Robertson is a Canadian Boy!!!! How about that! Here is his bio from University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada//

Ted is one of Canada’s pre-eminent automotive engineers. Throughout his career, he has held the most senior engineering
executive positions in his profession, and has been responsible for multibillion-dollar annual budgets and for the design and
production of 15 million vehicles on the road.

He began his engineering career in 1968 at General Motors (GM) of Canada Ltd. There, he rose to the position of Chief Engineer
before moving to the U.S., where he took on senior leadership roles which culminated in his appointment to Chief Engineer at
General Motors Corp.

He was then promoted to Chief Engineer for mid-sized trucks and was responsible for a $2.2 billion engineering budget and $15
billion annual revenue. In 2002, Jack Smith, Chairman of GM, gave Ted the title of Chief Engineer Emeritus upon his retirement.
He was the longest serving Chief Engineer at GM and is the only person to be awarded the title of Chief Engineer Emeritus in the
corporation’s 100+ year history.

Following his retirement, Ted served as Vice Chairman of ASC Inc., and then President of SAE International, where he was the
first automotive leader from Canada in that prestigious role. He then joined Magna International Inc. in 2006 as Executive Vice
President, and was later promoted to Executive Vice President and Chief Technical Officer.

Ted is now Vice Chairman & President, North America, of Magna E-Car Systems, and Chief Technical Officer the Americas for
Magna International. He leads Magna’s activities in electric vehicle propulsion, including the highly promising Ford e-Focus
program.

His honours include:

Outstanding Younger Member of SAE, 1979
Donald B. Scolville Award for Outstanding Governing Board Member of SAE, 1981\
Fellow, SAE, 2010
Green Car Vision Award, Ford, 2011

·
Super Moderator
14,055 Posts
Ted is a great guy and engineer but he was not the SSR Chief Engineer.
I was the GM Program Manager and Chief Engineer for the SSR. When I have a moment I will write up who did what on the SSR. Right now I am at the Woodward Dream Cruise.
Hi Ed, great to hear from you and to know you are checking in on us! :thumbs

And thanks 240Gordy for the Bio on our fellow Canadian Ted Robertson - very interesting :thumbs

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
I was the GM Program Manager and Chief Engineer for the SSR. When I have a moment I will write up who did what on the SSR. Right now I am at the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Hi, Ed

Great to see you are still checking up on us. Hard to believe it's been 14 years since you helped me out with the flipper hinge issues on my 03.

Any additional information you can supply regarding the history of our favorite truck would be much appreciated. Every once in a while, someone is inserted into the mix as a critical piece of SSR production, engineering or design, and except for the Signature Series scapbooks and the hardcover book SSR An American Original there isn't much documentation available to us.

Ray

Reactions: Marc NY

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,650 Posts
I am coming late into this thread and I had emailed Ed earlier to ask him about Ted Robertson because I had known that Ed was indeed the GM Program Manager and Chief Engineer for the SSR.

Certainly our members will be waiting to hear more from Ed very soon! :thumbs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts