Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All the Mom and Pop vendors at Sturgis that sell and sew on any patches that represent Harley in any way have to pay a royalty fee or they had to get rid of all of them. Harley corporate people and lawyers were out in force and served the papers during the world famous Sturgis Rally on every one of them. The list of what they call infringement is long. The words Harley Davidson, HOG, Bar and Shield, Etc. Seems like some companies take it more seriously. I guess if you pay the fee you can sell all day long. Most vendors are on a shoestring budget so they probably can'afford to pay and surely can't afford the lawsuit.
I maybe wrong on this but, the people that manufacture the patches pays the copyright fee. Middle man selling them and sewing them on does not have to. If you embroider the Harley logo that's copyright.

·
BAD BOW TIE
9,504 Posts
They were told could not sell them either. Probably patches made in China or some place they never paid the fee.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Harley is one of those companies that takes trademarks more seriously than most. I could understand vendors that are selling non-licensed product. But I'd be interested to understand about the bar/tavern tavern comment. What exactly are they doing?
:rolleyes:
Well, a few years back out on Rt. 9 from No. Myrtle Beach and/or Little River, there was a famous biker bar that brought in huge crowds during Spring and Fall Bike Rally events. At first, the owners big outdoor sign called the place H.D. Spokes. Harley came after him considering that an infringement I guess and he altered the sign to read H.G. Spokes as I recall. The owner had cancer and died many years ago, and his family tried to keep it going but were basically clueless as to how to run it.

He brought in named bands and the place rocked big time during the Rallys, while not all that much in crowd size other parts of the year, the guy made out BIG TIME $$$$$ during those Rallys and covered the whole years operation.

Now the site sits vacant.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
:rolleyes:
Well, a few years back out on Rt. 9 from No. Myrtle Beach and/or Little River, there was a famous biker bar that brought in huge crowds during Spring and Fall Bike Rally events. At first, the owners big outdoor sign called the place H.D. Spokes. Harley came after him considering that an infringement I guess and he altered the sign to read H.G. Spokes as I recall. The owner had cancer and died many years ago, and his family tried to keep it going but were basically clueless as to how to run it.

He brought in named bands and the place rocked big time during the Rallys, while not all that much in crowd size other parts of the year, the guy made out BIG TIME $$$$$ during those Rallys and covered the whole years operation.

Now the site sits vacant.
I can see that. If there is a chance people would think it's a Harley affiliated business then yes, H-D would pursue. It wasn't like he just hung a lighted Harley sign on the wall.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts