Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is all but official, my 2004 Yellow SSR will be enroute from Vermont to California next week! Yeah! Anyhow, curious what you all use for a cover - factory, aftermarket...?? Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks. JEff

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
Cover

I prefer to have it in a secure garage with plenty of lights, heat/ac, and a refridgerator full of refreshments.

Second choice would be a tri-bond cover from Covercraft. Would have to check their website to see if they have on for the SSR yet. Just haven't been able to put myself to covering up this beauty.

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Not At All!!

copcarcollector said:
Well, it is all but official, my 2004 Yellow SSR will be enroute from Vermont to California next week! Yeah! Anyhow, curious what you all use for a cover - factory, aftermarket...?? Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks. JEff
Hey Jeff

My SSR is garaged and was told by a guy that does custom work not to cover my truck!! Reason is Chevy clear coat scratchs very easly. A good wax job and a duster will keep it like new :thumbs Welcome to the fam.... :cool

Happy :ssr ing
:seeya Tony

·
Registered
137 Posts
I Cover Mine

I agree with both FUZZY and Tony, but if you have to leave it out side, You really should cover it. I am on my 2nd Gm cover that has the SSr logo, which means you spend all the money for it. They are too expensive. I have not had any trouble with scratches yet. I have covered it for 14 months and it still looks good. NOw, the sad thing is that I have a 3 car garage and don't use it for any cars. California living sometimes is not all it is cracked up to be. There, I'm done.
steve

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,610 Posts
GM Cover

steve said:
... I have not had any trouble with scratches yet. I have covered it for 14 months and it still looks good.
I have a GM factory cover too. However I would recommend it for indoor use mostly. It is very nice custom fitting cover and is made of high quailty fabric materials too.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Same Here....

Garage, no cover..........:ssr

RickSSR :cool

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here is the cover that I have from CarMotorsports. It is a great cover with a lifetime warrenty. If you are going to use your cover outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Garage and Loose Fitting Cover

I keep mine garaged and a loose fitting (oversized) cover on top keeps the dust down and no scratches on surface. Also since I keep other things in the garage (tools, bike, general storage) It helps revent any scratches if I lightly rub against the SSR when accessing some of my other stuff.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

·
Registered
256 Posts
Certain car covers can hold moisture and create swirl marks or scratches. The old cliche...you get what you pay for...holds true with car covers. And, not only do you have to have the right car cover, but the proper care of the car cover and the extra effort to protect the car finish is necessary before putting the car cover on.

I find a lot of people, after detailing and polishing their cars, showing it at a car show all day, and while at the car show are wiping it down with that static free mop that everyone swears by, are actually causing those fine scratches and swirls. They are very hard to see under certain lighting conditions. That mop is one product you should stay away from. It holds fine particles that cling onto the mop and redeposit themselves when you use the mop again. When I'm ready to go to a show, I get a moist cotton cloth and wipe the car down lightly, followed by a dry cloth. After driving the car to the show, through pollen, bugs, fallout, exhaust fumes, road dust or any other particles floating around, I wipe it down with a clean moist cotton cloth again. You would be surprised what you can see on a white cotton cloth that you won't see on the mop duster.

When I get home, I do the same thing before I put the cover on. If you don't, the cover can pick up all the dust particles like a sponge. If you repeatedly neglect to wipe the car down before putting the cover on, the build up on the cover will eventually cause fine lines.

Most waxes that contain carnuba,also act as a magnet to dust while driving and will soak in particles that will do harm when you wipe the car down. Especially on very hot days. The particles actually bake into the carnuba wax. I don't have this problem since I switched to Zaino, being a synthetic product. I also wash my car covers every six months in dawn dish soap.

I feel the right choice and proper care of a car cover, and the proper prevention measures taken before covering your car, will save you from the annoyances of swirls or fine scratches.

Unfortunately, with all the restrictions that the government has put on the U.S. manufaturers, the clear coat is much softer than the previous clear coats used years ago in the U.S. , and our foreign competition doesn't have to deal with environmental regulations, so naturally their paint jobs are superior and hold up better to the damaging elements.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Brownhornet said:
Here is the cover that I have from CarMotorsports. It is a great cover with a lifetime warrenty. If you are going to use your cover outside.
That's a nice cover! Can I ask how much it cost?

We keep ours in the garage, but are thinking about getting a cover to use at the hotels on the Power Tour.

Thanks! :seeya

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
Here are some pictures of my car cover from Covercraft. It is an outdoor cover, but I use it in doors. Before I put it on, I usually wash and dry the car before putting it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
vettegirl said:

We keep ours in the garage, but are thinking about getting a cover to use at the hotels on the Power Tour.

Vettegirl,

It cost $200.00 from carmotorsport. I love it and it light weight. So it is easy to take off and put on.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
vettegirl said:

FWIW: One item that might rule out the GM cover for the Power Tour is that even when carefully folded and rolled, it is the size of a carefully wrapped sleeping bag. Just bunched up and tossed into the back, it takes up a lot of volume.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts