Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this in the MotorTrend, with the Ford Mustang on the front cover. It was page 48, a SSR two tone black on the top Silver on the sides of the truck. It had side pipes, real cool, you got to check this 1 out. Does anyone know when GM going to build this 1. I want 1, this gets my motor runing... :ssr

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
jc/ssr: That's a show vehicle built to show off that company's (NOT GM's) capabilities and accessories. It's NOT a planned production model.

I like several features on that Diamondback too, including the carbon fiber hood and cargo cover. Imagine the weight savings.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Diamondback

IIRC, even the top was a carbon fiber shell, but a fixed one. All the wonderful mechanicals had been stripped out. Total weight loss was around 1000 lbs.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Just for laughs, I re-opened my custom software in which I had already modeled my 2004 SSR with its new 4.56 gearing, and applied a 1000 lb weight reduction.

The effects on acceleration were as follows:

0-60 mph time: - 1.2 sec

Quarter mile time: - 1.1 sec

Quarter mile terminal speed: + 7 mph

With the 4.56 gearing, a 6200 rpm redline, 230 lb driver, 14 gallons of fuel, and 1000 lb weight reduction, this meant final numbers of:

0 to 60: 5.48 sec

Quarter mile: 14.19 sec at 99 mph

This is with the 300 hp LM4 engine, NOT the newer LS2 390 hp engine.

This is before any engine mods (like a supercharger or turbo).

See what a 1000 lb weight reduction can do?

Jim G

·
Registered
579 Posts
Okay Jim, When are you going to do it?

JimGnitecki said:
Just for laughs, I re-opened my custom software in which I had already modeled my 2004 SSR with its new 4.56 gearing, and applied a 1000 lb weight reduction.

The effects on acceleration were as follows:

0-60 mph time: - 1.2 sec

Quarter mile time: - 1.1 sec

Quarter mile terminal speed: + 7 mph

With the 4.56 gearing, a 6200 rpm redline, 230 lb driver, 14 gallons of fuel, and 1000 lb weight reduction, this meant final numbers of:

0 to 60: 5.48 sec

Quarter mile: 14.19 sec at 99 mph

This is with the 300 hp LM4 engine, NOT the newer LS2 390 hp engine.

This is before any engine mods (like a supercharger or turbo).

See what a 1000 lb weight reduction can do?

Jim G
Okay Jim, when are you going to do it? When are you going to remove the roof mechanisms and get the carbon fiber hard top?

Don't tell me you are not tempted.

:seeya E :seeya

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I don't think I would want to lose the convertible top, BUT I sure would want to get that carbon cago cover and maybe the hood.

I think they had to do a LOT more than the hood, cover, and roof to drop 1000 lb! But, knowing what I know about the sensitivity of SSR performance to weight, I bet that cover and hood would make a tangible difference.

But, I haven't been able to find the source or pricing. Anyone out there have the contact info?

Jim G

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
weight.

Oh... I bet the roof and all the excess parts easily outweigh the hood and cargo cover by at least 1.5x maybe 2x.

·
Registered
347 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
I don't think I would want to lose the convertible top, BUT I sure would want to get that carbon cago cover and maybe the hood.

I think they had to do a LOT more than the hood, cover, and roof to drop 1000 lb! But, knowing what I know about the sensitivity of SSR performance to weight, I bet that cover and hood would make a tangible difference.

But, I haven't been able to find the source or pricing. Anyone out there have the contact info?

Jim G
I have talked to the guy that made the parts. I believe he was under contract to make them so the molds and tooling belong to them. He monitors this site. The cost of this stuff is for out of reach for most people.I hope it was o.k. to say this Doug I thought you wouldn't say anything to open a can of worms.
Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts