Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm still looking for a 05 or 06 6 speed and found an 05 with 14K miles. I asked the dealer to send me photos of the undercarriage since the dealer is in snow and salt country. The salesman assured me it had no rust which I believe is true from the attached photos but something else got my attention. The rear end differential appears to have a seal leak which does not look that bad but would like some feedback.
Since miles are low I also wanted to check on the tires which the salesman assured me were fine. Looking at the photos he sent, I'm having difficulty determining the age based on the DOT date since the last four digits after 2000 are supposed to be the week and year of production. Before 2000, as we know, there was a different one but this tire does not appear to fit that either. The tire appears to be mounted with the DOT info on the outside so I don't think that's the reason or did the salesman not send the photo of the correct area?
Wannabe Florida John

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,272 Posts
Agreed, there does seem to be some dampness around the cover, might be as simple as cleaning it up and sealing it back up.

Tire info? I think he is mistaken on what to take pictures of. Usually the date info in on an oblong shaped outline and stamped, not a raised part of the tire as this is showing.

Good luck on the hunt if this one does not work for you.

Here is an RSA tire for sale that shows the oblong date code area -

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,801 Posts
I just went out and looked at my tire (not a Goodyear) and the manuf.date is stamped next to the tire serial number and consists of one letter (D) and four digits as you described. Certainly someone at the dealership should know where to look on the tires to get the correct date codes. You didn't say if this was a Chevrolet or GM dealer but I would think they could certainly repair the leak on the diff. if you were serious on purchasing the vehicle.
I bought my R from a Chevrolet dealer and since I was driving it quite a distance, I purchased an extended maintenance policy just for my peace of mind and I've already used it once at the Chevrolet dealer.
Good luck on your purchase.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I found out when I bought mine that I wanted to pretty stubborn in getting what I want. I may have paid $1k to $2K over one that I could have gotten by with. However, I planned on having it for quite a while.

I am not sorry that I did that.

IMO

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,064 Posts
Just for future reference the tire numbers on RSA Good Year are four numbers. The first two are the week and the last two are the year. My front ones are 0715. That would be the 7th week of 2015.

·
Premium Member
9,630 Posts
Hi,
I'm still looking for a 05 or 06 6 speed and found an 05 with 14K miles. I asked the dealer to send me photos of the undercarriage since the dealer is in snow and salt country. The salesman assured me it had no rust which I believe is true from the attached photos but something else got my attention. The rear end differential appears to have a seal leak which does not look that bad but would like some feedback.
Since miles are low I also wanted to check on the tires which the salesman assured me were fine. Looking at the photos he sent, I'm having difficulty determining the age based on the DOT date since the last four digits after 2000 are supposed to be the week and year of production. Before 2000, as we know, there was a different one but this tire does not appear to fit that either. The tire appears to be mounted with the DOT info on the outside so I don't think that's the reason or did the salesman not send the photo of the correct area?
Wannabe Florida John
Is this the Blur in Peoria at Uftring chevolet?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it is in Omaha NE..anyone near to take a look for me?
Florida John

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
Try to PM Dave Rasmussen, see post 5 above. I think he is in the Lincoln/Omaha area.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
No, it is in Omaha NE..anyone near to take a look for me?
Florida John
Not sure where in Nebr. that Dave resides. If he is not close enough to check it out for you, let me know.

I was born/raised there and still have family and fraternity brothers that live there. One is big time into cars and mechanics and if necessary, I could maybe get him to check it out for you.:wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts