Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
I have a 1975 big block Chevy luv drag truck and I was thinking of putting a ssr body on it , anyone have a ssr body lying around anywhere ? What do you think ?
I think it would be a nightmare! The cage would never fit and the track width has to be massively different - the Luv is very narrow and the R is really wide! Sell the Luv and build a new chassis for the R, if you're going to attempt it. Also, SSR body parts are getting rare and expensive!

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,560 Posts
There's an outfit in Oregon that makes fibreglas SSR Bodies/Panels specifically for Dragsters, and Puller Trucks. Google them. PM me if you can't find them.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Id look for a flooded or front end damaged R that's been totaled you could pick up cheap, your going to probably tub it, tear out the interior, etc anyway so it won't matter. Keep us posted on your project will be interesting to see how it turns out. Check out Vin's of Deceased R's there's info on ones like this.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Here's a fiberglass drag SSR that used to be owned by a guy in Bloomington, IL.
Don't know who owns it now.
As far as I know, the nose is fiberglass and the rest is steel. I spoke with builder many years back, and remember him saying it took four O.E. quarter panels to make them more aero friendly.
Not sure if he still owns this SSR or not. I think only CASH (Dale) is in contact with him.

Here is a link to the build..http://www.fastestssr.com/ssr_build.html

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
That orange SSR was built by Rich Gephardt in Springfield I think. The guy is a great fabricator, he did the rollcage in a Chevelle I own that someone else had him do.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Building a race version has been in mind already but man it would take some serious work. I think getting it low enough and the tires to fit would be the problem. If I find one cheap enough I may take on the challenge of building a neat 9 second truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts