Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here keep their SSR outdoors or drive it in the snow?
If so how much of a toll does it take on the truck? This would not be by choice.
New housing arrangements are limited to a 1 car garage. I can not in good
conscience let a 62 Corvette sit out an upper midwest winter. The SSR may be
my only winter driveable ride. Will it stand up to winter outdoors and still clean up nice
in the spring?

·
Registered
442 Posts
No SSR experience but a LOT of Michigan weather experience. First off, if you have chrome wheels, I have had some discolor quickly in the winter and that was WITH wax on them. They get what looks like a bronze tint in the recesses. I have my vehicles all rustproofed by OilGard (see their website) in Windsor, Canada and it is mostly oil and does a great job at preventing rust. If you have salt used in your area, you need to get it off your vehicle ASAP. I also would think you may want to consider another set of rims (rrs especially) and tires (taller and narrower) if you have much snow. Good news is you would enjoy the vehicle year-round.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

There is an issue with the windows in cold climates. Our windows drop 1/2 inch when open and closeing the doors. If you park out side and freezing rain hits your ride, you may have your window froze, in the up position. Then you have to force door open, as the window passes the rubber moulding. I parked it in driveway for a week last Dec. and this happened to mine. After that, she sits in the shop in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
No snow here!

Mine lives outdoors year around. The only problem I have with it being outside all the time is that the surroundings are croplands and new home construction. The amount of airborne dirt that those activities generate is huge.

·
Registered
407 Posts
mine sits outside all year and gets a healthy covering of snow and ice. i zaino it and the car holds up well. i try to take her to a manual car wash often in the winter in order to clean her up but there isn't any damage (other than to my heart for having to keep her outside).

R

·
0 Posts
I can't speak for the SSR, but I am from the Cleveland Ohio originally and have had several nice rides( 2-Mark VIII's and 3-Lightnings most recently) I have driven year around. I rinsed them in the winter daily at the local do-it-yourself wash, no soap, just water. That and good wax and I have never had any problem. I can see the windows freezing being an issue, and of course top operation would be questionable, but why would you drop the top in freezing weather. I plan on driving my SSR all year, but I am in Washington now and freezing temps are rare. Good luck, and watch the posi and high HP in the ice and snow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
SSR in Winter

Mueggelhopper said:
Does anyone here keep their SSR outdoors or drive it in the snow?
If so how much of a toll does it take on the truck? This would not be by choice.
New housing arrangements are limited to a 1 car garage. I can not in good
conscience let a 62 Corvette sit out an upper midwest winter. The SSR may be
my only winter driveable ride. Will it stand up to winter outdoors and still clean up nice
in the spring?
Remember, it's a truck!

My wife's SSR is always garaged but she drives it regularly. No weather keeps her from getting to a bridge game or going shopping.

Wash 'em, wax 'em, and generally maintain 'em. Most importantly, drive 'em. They are machines and that's what they're made for. Cleaning 'em up and detailing 'em is great recreation anyway. Like that '62 Corvette, it will die a slow death if you don't take it out and stretch its legs once in a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rebel is right, my windows froze last winter. They will eventually thaw if you leave the defrost on long enough but opening the door the first time is frightning. The traction on ice and snow is impressive to say the least. Cover the door windows so they can't freeze and I see no problems.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The tires were engineered with some snow traction, so that you can go in the snow. I had to drive mine a lot on salted roads. What happened to me and is possible for anyone driving with salt is some frame corrosion where the frame was spliced for the SSR. A production "e-coated" frame is cut apart and rewelded into a shorter wheelbase. Anti corrosion paint is reapplied, but it is never as good as the "e-coat". The rest of the vehicle has standard automotive corrosion protection including galvanized steel in the body.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
Mines Out

24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS AWEEK 360 DAYS A YEAR. YEAH THE MATH WAS RIGHT, cause once in a while if it's going to hail, i'll bring it inside. Or I may bring it in for a major detailing in the shop. It was out last winter even through snow storms. I did take it off the roads in January and Febuary due to the excessive amounts of corrsive chemicles they use around here.

So far, no problems from sitting out side, that a good cleaning won't take care of.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
dingbat said:
What's snow????

<- This snow....in avatar.

Driving in snow: Good.
How does it hold up: I'm afraid to look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts