Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the electric fan supposed to run ??
I understand their is an issue as to the temperature the the fan is programmed to kick in.
But
What is the big picture of the fans program ?
Is it supposed to kick on when you start the car ?
What is the actual cycle ??
I recently overheated and I'm waiting for a fan from Mike.
Since the overheat I'm reluctant to make more than very short errands.
When I start and run the car in the driveway, the fan doesn't kick on, even running almost up to temperature.
I'm guessing that this is the problem.
Thoughts ??
Thanks

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Do you know that the normal run temp on the R is between 210 - 220? This is set and you may think that is high but is not. If you fan is not on in this range that could be a problem. Sometime there is dirt in the fan motor and a gentle tap will dislodge the fan motor. There is another possible problem and that could be a stuck thermostat. So before throwing a lot of money at this take a little time to # 1 confirm that the temp is above normal. ( Owners Manual has info ) #2 tap fan if it is NOT coming on at this temp range ( NOT while motor is running ) Last when cool start motor and watch cooling system reservoir with cap open to see if there is flow in the tank.

"Long may you run" cool that is.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,182 Posts
Do you know that the normal run temp on the R is between 210 - 220? This is set and you may think that is high but is not. If you fan is not on in this range that could be a problem. Sometime there is dirt in the fan motor and a gentle tap will dislodge the fan motor. There is another possible problem and that could be a stuck thermostat. So before throwing a lot of money at this take a little time to # 1 confirm that the temp is above normal. ( Owners Manual has info ) #2 tap fan if it is NOT coming on at this temp range ( NOT while motor is running ) Last when cool start motor and watch cooling system reservoir with cap open to see if there is flow in the tank.

Emission Standard set by Gov has OEM V/W Fan "ON" setting to high. Plus the fan has square carbon contacts that "stick" thus "bang" the fan to run. Thermostat has rarely been a problem and be sure it is 187degree if you replace it, why? Engine computer doesn't turn on air/fuel mix until 187 degrees. DO not run with cap off reservoir, cooling system MUST have proper pressure (15psi) for ECM (Engine Control Module) to work.

RedHotSSR may be side of the road with fan problem, at least that's what most of us learned 12/14 yrs ago, unless you drive over 35mph all the time, fan shuts OFF over 35mph, NEW USA made fan with 30% more CFM plus changing the fan "ON" setting solved our over heat problem. 192 LOW speed/210 HIGH speed.

Read about the Cooling by Mike Moro on How to Library, all charts, part # are there.

It is up to you, Florida has installed 6 USA/Mike fans in the last month and have some on order. And USA fan from Mike is "half" the price of OEM V/W fan.

Dicktator

1. OEM fan by V/W
2. USA fan by Mike Moro aka https://shop.simple-engineering.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

Attachments

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,962 Posts
Last when cool start motor and watch cooling system reservoir with cap open to see if there is flow in the tank.
Don't leave the cap Open. Screw it down tight. Look at the 2 small tubes at the reservoir to see if there is coolant flow. It should flow all the time, it's a Closed System. It should free flow thru the tank.

Reactions: RedHotSSR

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,192 Posts
Bite the Bullet Silver Bullet besides replacing the fan with one of Mike's ( highly recommended) have your system flushed out, replace your upper and lower hoses, thermostat, and reservoir cap even if the cap looks good the O ring fails after so many years. Then when you have a chance get the temp. settings changed to start the fan at a lower temp.
Had same recurring problems with mine when I lived in Florida did all the things listed above and had it tuned by Jeremy 3,000+ miles later no more problems even running thru the hills up here in Tn. or when I run back down to Florida.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bite the Bullet Silver Bullet besides replacing the fan with one of Mike's ( highly recommended) have your system flushed out, replace your upper and lower hoses, thermostat, and reservoir cap even if the cap looks good the O ring fails after so many years. Then when you have a chance get the temp. settings changed to start the fan at a lower temp.
Had same recurring problems with mine when I lived in Florida did all the things listed above and had it tuned by Jeremy 3,000+ miles later no more problems even running thru the hills up here in Tn. or when I run back down to Florida.
Good advice
Had an oil change and coolant flush after the overheat. Good idea about the cap and thermostat. That covers pretty much the whole system (except for the pump)
Spoke to Dick today regarding when the fan is supposed to kick in. Ran it up to temp. (210*) in the driveway and it never came on.
After the new fan goes in Dick is going to hook me up with Jeremy to tweak the system.
Thanks for the input

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,319 Posts
Good advice
Had an oil change and coolant flush after the overheat. Good idea about the cap and thermostat. That covers pretty much the whole system (except for the pump)
Spoke to Dick today regarding when the fan is supposed to kick in. Ran it up to temp. (210*) in the driveway and it never came on.
After the new fan goes in Dick is going to hook me up with Jeremy to tweak the system.
Thanks for the input
If you are testing your existing fan, running it up to 210 will not give you any results. Main fan comes onto low speed at 226 and turns off at 219.

If you want to test the fan functionality in the driveway, it is best to use the AC part of the logic. When you have the engine running and you select A/C to the ON position and turn the fan speed on, the cooling fan will start running as soon as the system comes up to pressure. Usually takes about 10-15 seconds. It should run at LOW speed.

If you do the above test and it does not come onto low speed right away, but goes to high speed after about 45-60 seconds, you have either a bad dropping resistor inside the fan motor or a bad low speed relay. The high speed function is there in case the head pressure becomes too elevated.
Hint: I would suspect the dropping resistor about 50 times more often than the bad relay.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are testing your existing fan, running it up to 210 will not give you any results. Main fan comes onto low speed at 226 and turns off at 219.

If you want to test the fan functionality in the driveway, it is best to use the AC part of the logic. When you have the engine running and you select A/C to the ON position and turn the fan speed on, the cooling fan will start running as soon as the system comes up to pressure. Usually takes about 10-15 seconds. It should run at LOW speed.

If you do the above test and it does not come onto low speed right away, but goes to high speed after about 45-60 seconds, you have either a bad dropping resistor inside the fan motor or a bad low speed relay. The high speed function is there in case the head pressure becomes too elevated.
Hint: I would suspect the dropping resistor about 50 times more often than the bad relay.

Hope this helps

Mike
Thanks Mike
Speaking with Dick he also mentioned how to check the fan by using the AC system. It seems the fan is as dead as a doornail whatever the AC is set on.
Surprised to hear that the fan kicks in at 226. Before I had this issue I don't recall the gauge going much north of 210 ever.
Sounds like it may be the relay as you mentioned.
BTW When I ran it up to 210 I also banged on the motor with a rubber mallet with no results.
I see the fan has shipped. Thanks, looking forward to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts