Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to put together a video on how to program FOBs for the SSR using the ThinkDiag scan tool, but as I've documented in another thread on this site, the ThinkDiag software has some problems with that feature right now.

I've used my Autel MaxiSys MS906 scan tool to program FOBs for the Chevrolet SSR on several occasions. That scan tool's process to program FOBs for the SSR works!

The SSR is capable of having up to four (4) FOBs programmed for use with the vehicle. The order in which they are programmed is what determines the "Driver #" displayed/associated with the FOB.

One thing I want to mention is that the key for the SSR has absolutely no security chip! The SSR has no chip reader in the steering column ignition switch area to trigger and read any sort of security chip in a key. The black plastic at the top of many of the keys for the SSR is just that, black plastic. I have a plain metal key that works with my SSR without any problem. Of course, each set of metal ignition switch keys for your SSR should have a unique keying and only work with your SSR's ignition lock cylinder.

The FOBs (remotes) are the only thing the SSR recognizes with regard to arming or disarming the security features of the SSR.

I have the original two (2) FOBs for my 2004 SSR. Both of them have a number on the back cover of the FOBs to indicate which "Driver #" the FOB is programmed into the SSR.
  • FOB with "1" on the back cover
    • Part number 15184352
    • FCC ID KOBLEAR1XT
  • FOB with "2" on the back cover
    • Part Number 15184353
    • FCC ID KOBLEAR1XT
The number on the back cover is informational only. There's nothing in the FOB's electronics that requires it to be that FOB/driver number.

For an upcoming video on my YouTube channel, I wanted to demo the programming and use of the four FOBs with the SSR.

I purchased a FOB from one vendor on Amazon and then I ended up returning that FOB. I purchased two FOBs from a different vendor on Amazon and ran into the same problem I had with the first FOB I ordered.

The problem was not one that was visible to the user of the FOB or SSR, but one that you could see when scanning for trouble codes (DTCs).

I was able to successfully program the aftermarket FOBs into the SSR. The FOB buttons all worked (FOBs 1&2 all four buttons work / FOB 3&4 cargo lid button is disabled). You're asking yourself, then what was the problem?

The problem was that the SSR's "Remote Function Actuation (RFA)" module would generated a "B3109 Keyless Entry Transmitter Low Battery" DTC after each third button press on the new/aftermarket FOBs. I thought the problem was simply a low battery. Nope, I replaced the battery and the same problem occurred. I tried programming the new aftermarket FOB(s) as #1 or #2 and it still generated the low battery error.

I called the vendor and they stated that they had observed that problem with a different FOB with a different GM vehicle, but not the SSR. The first vendor sent me a replacement FOB. The replacement FOB also had the same issue. I returned those FOBs to the first vendor.

I found a second vendor on Amazon that sold FOBs with a different FCC ID that was reported to work with the SSR. I purchased those FOBs. Those too had the same problem of generating the B3109 DTC every third button press.

fob_3_low_battery_status.jpg dtc_b3109_keyless_entry_transmitter_low_battery.jpg

The B3109 is not a fatal error nor would it trigger a check engine light, but a scan of the modules would always reveal the B3109 DTC.

I returned the FOBs from the second Amazon vendor.
  • FOBs that generated B3109 DTC errors
    • FOB from vendor one: Keyless2Go 2AOKM-GV3
    • FOB from vendor two: KeylessOption
Finding OEM FOBs with the original part numbers for the SSR is not possible at this point in time. I decided to look for some used OEM FOBs similar to the "new" FOBs. On eBay, I found two used OEM FOBs with a part number 10443537 and FCC ID KOBLEAR1XT. Today, I received the used OEM FOBs and I was able to program them into the SSR and they did not generate the low battery events like the aftermarket FOBs did.

gm_10443537_front.jpg gm_10443537_rear.jpg gm_10443537_info.jpg

I know that 10443537 FOBs don't have the SSR cargo lid image on the lower right button, nor do they have a "1" or "2" on the back cover. The "1" and "2" are only informational so that isn't a technical reason not to use them. I'd rather have a FOB that works but might have the incorrect image on the cargo cover button.

If you're looking for any FOBs for your SSR, I would suggest finding new OEM part number 10443537 or good condition used OEM part number 10443537 FOBs. The OEM FOB has a FCC ID of KOBLEAR1XT just like the ones originally supplied with the SSR.

I hope that helps someone looking to replace or add a FOB to their SSR!

·
Premium Member
2005 Aqua Blur 6 Speed
88 Posts
If you want the buttons to look like the SSR ones look for a Saturn Ion key fob. For some reason they used the truck for the trunk on the fob. I'm not sure if this fob would work for the SSR but you can change out the button part of the fob.

·
SSR Believer
2,281 Posts
If you want the buttons to look like the SSR ones look for a Saturn Ion key fob. For some reason they used the truck for the trunk on the fob. I'm not sure if this fob would work for the SSR but you can change out the button part of the fob.
Agreed. The buttons on our Driver #1 key fob were pretty worn so I ordered one of the Saturn Ion key fobs on eBay and swapped out the rubber button part with the "new" one. It was one like this:

Although the "trunk release" image is correct, the code on the back is completely different than the one Robert posted and the ones we have.

For anyone that follows and just wants the correct "trunk" image, make sure the key fob you're ordering has it. Even though the photo on eBay showed the SSR image, the first one I ordered ended up being the standard car image. I had to send it back to get one with the SSR trunk image.

I saved the Saturn fob I ordered and will try to dig it out to look at the code on the back. I suspect it isn't the same as the SSR's.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I've been seeing on the eBay listings for the Saturn Ion FOBs, the FCC ID is N5F250738 and the GM / ACDelco part number is 10357131. Since the FOB casings I was looking at were used OEM casings, I would believe that the FOB transmitter itself would not work with the SSR since the FCC ID is not KOBLEAR1XT, but I have not tested myself to be 100 percent certain.

Agreed. The buttons on our Driver #1 key fob were pretty worn so I ordered one of the Saturn Ion key fobs on eBay and swapped out the rubber button part with the "new" one. It was one like this:

Although the "trunk release" image is correct, the code on the back is completely different than the one Robert posted and the ones we have.

For anyone that follows and just wants the correct "trunk" image, make sure the key fob you're ordering has it. Even though the photo on eBay showed the SSR image, the first one I ordered ended up being the standard car image. I had to send it back to get one with the SSR trunk image.

I saved the Saturn fob I ordered and will try to dig it out to look at the code on the back. I suspect it isn't the same as the SSR's.
Most of the eBay listings for one Saturn Ion FOB had a price that was double that of the two used FOBs I purchased for my testing that are compatible with the SSR, but have the incorrect button image for the cargo lid button.

·
SSR Believer
2,281 Posts
Most of the eBay listings for one Saturn Ion FOB had a price that was double that of the two used FOBs I purchased for my testing that are compatible with the SSR, but have the incorrect button image for the cargo lid button.
I noted that too Robert. Even the various listings for the Saturn Ion fobs with the SSR cargo lid button image are priced wildly apart. Saw one for $99! :oops: Folks that are good with the standard trunk release car image should just buy one like you've recommended in your first post to be sure they'll work.

Here's a photo of the front and back of the Saturn Ion fob I bought on eBay along with one of our SSR key fobs. The Saturn fob looks just like the rest that are being sold there. It does NOT match the SSR fob part or FCC numbers. I cannot say for certain either, but I'd wager the Saturn fob could not be programmed to work with an SSR.

As mentioned, my goal was to have an "authentic" looking SSR fob with buttons that weren't worn down is all. Our OEM fobs work fine. So the "hack" was to buy a Saturn Ion fob with the SSR cargo lid button image and swap out the little rubber sleeve with the one in our working SSR key fob.

SSR and Saturn Key Fob Rear 1.jpeg SSR and Saturn Key Fob Front 1.jpg

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chevy SSR FOB Programming Info

I discuss FOB (wireless remote) programming for the Chevrolet SSR pickup. You can have up to four FOBs programmed for use with the Chevy SSR.

Aftermarket FOBs I tested would program successfully, but two different brands I tried resulted in low battery events with every button press and eventually a B3109 DTC.

YouTube: Chevy SSR FOB Programming Info

·
Registered
241 Posts
My Driver on Transmitter worked for many years. Now the clip holding battery broke loose. Now it don't work at all. I saw that the Ebay transmitters don't work. The seller insists that his will work. Just needs programed? Dealer in my area have no idea what a SSR is. I was at dealer Friday. The VIN for my SSR came up as a Astro van? Then I explained that I own a SSR. Told him to go to parking lot to see my SSR. Still parts person thinks I have a custom built truck on Astro PCM?? I need a new or gently used driver one fob transmitter. Ant help would be appreciated, Yes I own a 2004 Chevrolet SSR. This is the dealer that said I have a Astro & Banned me from all all Chevrolet shows
SSR at Dave White Chevy Show..jpg

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Driver on Transmitter worked for many years. Now the clip holding battery broke loose. Now it don't work at all. I saw that the Ebay transmitters don't work. The seller insists that his will work. Just needs programed? Dealer in my area have no idea what a SSR is. I was at dealer Friday. The VIN for my SSR came up as a Astro van? Then I explained that I own a SSR. Told him to go to parking lot to see my SSR. Still parts person thinks I have a custom built truck on Astro PCM?? I need a new or gently used driver one fob transmitter. Ant help would be appreciated, Yes I own a 2004 Chevrolet SSR. This is the dealer that said I have a Astro & Banned me from all all Chevrolet shows
I purchased new aftermarket FOBs. I used my scan tool to program them into the SSR. All of the buttons worked. So, you're wondering what was the problem?

The problem I discovered was a "hidden" one. Using my scan tool, I would monitor the live data for the "Remote Function Actuation (RFA)" module in the SSR. The RFA module is the one that has the data for the FOBs. Every third button press on one of the aftermarket FOBs, a low battery voltage event was being triggered in the RFA module by the FOB. As it was explained to me, the FOB itself is the one responsible for generating the FOB "low voltage" event when a FOB button is pressed. That info is sent to the vehicle and the RFA module will note a "battery status" of "Low" after three button presses on that particular FOB which has a "low voltage" event sent by the FOB. After the three button presses take place, the RFA modules creates a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B3109 which is defined as a transmitter (FOB) battery status low event for transmitter 1. It did not matter what FOB position I programmed the aftermarket FOB in, it would always result in this same error. I verified the battery was fresh and had proper voltage, swapped the batteries and even tried a second FOB sent by the seller. Again, the buttons worked, but the DTC would be registered after the third button press of the aftermarket FOBs.

I would not have suspected anything was "wrong" if it were not for the scan tool showing me that the RFA module had the DTC B3109 present. I believe it should have presented some soft of message on the driver information center (DIC) at some point as well, but I did not observe that in my testing.

When I found and purchased the genuine GM / ACDelco FOBs, I was able to program those FOBs using my scan tool and those FOBs never caused the low voltage events and worked just fine.

I ended up purchasing GM (or ACDelco) part number 10443537 with FCC ID KOBLEAR1XT. Those are available on eBay used and I found a few on eBay for around $20 each. That FOB does not have the same image on the cargo cover release button, but that's only a cosmetic difference. You could swap over the rubber button cover from your FOB to that one if you really want the SSR version of the button images.

The dealership you're working with sounds like they need an education on what a SSR is and how to properly use their part search/ordering system.

·
SSR Believer
2,281 Posts
Thanks Robert, excellent follow up!

How (or did) you deal with the “Driver 1”, “Driver 2” designations? Or is that lost with the replacements?

IIRC the same MY Corvettes also used the driver designations. Wonder if they could be programmed accordingly.

TIA and keep up the great work. 👍

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Robert, excellent follow up!

How (or did) you deal with the “Driver 1”, “Driver 2” designations? Or is that lost with the replacements?

IIRC the same MY Corvettes also used the driver designations. Wonder if they could be programmed accordingly.

TIA and keep up the great work. 👍
The "Driver #" is assigned by the order you program the FOB into the SSR. I demonstrate that in the video and I show that FOBs 3 and 4 are both mapped to "Driver 3". The "Driver 3" FOBs end up having the cargo cover button press ignored. Only "Driver 1" and "Driver 2" FOBs have cargo cover button presses that result in the cargo cover being opened.

·
SSR Believer
2,281 Posts
The "Driver #" is assigned by the order you program the FOB into the SSR. I demonstrate that in the video and I show that FOBs 3 and 4 are both mapped to "Driver 3". The "Driver 3" FOBs end up having the cargo cover button press ignored. Only "Driver 1" and "Driver 2" FOBs have cargo cover button presses that result in the cargo cover being opened.
Completely missed that... but there it is. Thanks!

Now I think I remember a Fanatic using some kind of engraver to add the driver designation to the back of his replacement fobs. The creativity here never ceases to amaze me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts