Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone feel that maybe the drop top on our SSR's could have been offered as an option and the hard top as standard equipment for say maybe 15k less? I have had people tell me they like the SSR with the top up. Maybe more so here in the northern climate. Could this have helped sales with a lower price option?
Just a thought,:cool

Scott 0168 :ssr

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
I also like the looks with the top up, but without the drop top, I wouldn not have been interested.

Ray

·
Registered
153 Posts
Scott 0168 said:
Does anyone feel that maybe the drop top on our SSR's could have been offered as an option and the hard top as standard equipment for say maybe 15k less? I have had people tell me they like the SSR with the top up. Maybe more so here in the northern climate. Could this have helped sales with a lower price option?
Just a thought,:cool

Scott 0168 :ssr
:bs :bs :bs

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,648 Posts
Hardtop/ Convertable best of both worlds!

Scott 0168 said:
Does anyone feel that maybe the drop top on our SSR's could have been offered as an option and the hard top as standard equipment for say maybe 15k less? Scott 0168 :ssr
Scott I do love the look with the top up but what really made me want the SSR was it's "retractable" hard top feature the most. :cool

·
Registered
643 Posts
Topless is Always Preferred, but...

I beg to disagree! The Ford Ranchero and Chevy El Camino were both huge successes. A hardtop SSR would have been considerably less weight (arguably the biggest issue with the vehicle). Every road reveiw I've ever read criticizes the ridiculous weight of this vehicle. I drive a Ford Triton V8 Dual-Axle Stahl walk-in box truck with tool drawers outside for work and it weighs less! There's a particular local bridge that is closed to vehicles with an excessive GVW, I laugh every day to work that I can drive across, but on weekends I cannot in my SSR.

At last year's televised Barrett-Jackson Arizona auction, Brock Yates was asked his opinion of a black El Camino on the block and would it be succesful to reserrect as a modern vehicle - he said Chevy has with the SSR, but it's downfall was the "crazy hydraulic roof", which at the time I thought was an ignorant response, but in hindsight, I'd have to agree... I just would have used a little more class in how I said it.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
GM marketeers are in the dark . . . . .

If GM would option the hardtop, use that space to store it as part of the bed giving close to 6' 5" with the gate down, drop in a dependable and efficient V-6, drop the price to $35k, they'd sell like hot cakes to the people that originally made the El Camino such a hit - Constuction Workers, wannabee ranchers, and Contractors ! ! :)

But NO ! ! , they'd prefer to go down in flames. :eek

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Would not have even gone to the showroom to see it if it didn't have the retractable roof.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
I admit I would not have purchased the Truck without the top the way it is. HOWEVER, depending on the price point it could have been made as a Hard Top and could have been very popular. I also think sales would have been better if GM could have made the truck a little lower and sleeker looking kind of more ElCamino than Truck. The H/T version could have also had a larger cab as a selling feature of its own.
I also think the Truck in any form should have been named ElCamino SS for better brand awareness

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
The benefit of the weight savings alone not to mention the extra room in the cab would be hard not to consider even here in Southern California where you can go top down 99% of the year.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm confused....

The "if only" and "what if" musings make me wonder. We bought these as a finished vehicle that fit a need we all had - or want, if you don't want to be needy! IF GM had done it differently, would you have wanted one? You can alter it all you want - your choice after you buy it - but to play "what if" at this point really confuses me as to what your expectations were (or are). Just me $.02 - go ahead and take your shots....:leaving

1 - 20 of 30 Posts