Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a potential source for SSR headers that if they do indeed build them they will have the CARB OE certs and I will push for them to fit the 6 speed. I'm a little curious about the level of interest so I can forward to them to help sell the idea to their marketing folks.
We have until the beginning of February to come up with an interest level before they give the :) or:nodno to the project.

That's all the detail I have for now.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I will give conditional interest. They need to be at least 1 3/4" primary and 3" collectors, I would prefer 1 7/8" primary and 3" collectors. If you can do it and have them made from stainless steel it will be a hit. I dont believe that CARB will approve long tube headers so I am sure they will be shorties. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Zack - Where have you been?

JBA is interested in starting on the headers for the SSR and they do CARB approval for all of their headers. CARB will not approve long tube headers to date. The JBA Headers are the short style but still flow better then stock. below is an e-mail I received from them. Maybe we can get alot of members to contact them, they are a local company too.

Joseph:
We do not have a header/exhaust for your vehicle. We are interested, however,
at this time it is not a high priority for our R&D. We are very interested in
using your vehicle for R&D, but I can not give you a time frame as to if and
when it will happen. I have your contact information and would like to contact
you in the future.
Thanks again,
Jon Towers
Product Manager
JBA Headers

·
Registered
172 Posts
Texas

2005SSR6Speed said:
Zack - Where have you been?

JBA is interested in starting on the headers for the SSR and they do CARB approval for all of their headers. CARB will not approve long tube headers to date. The JBA Headers are the short style but still flow better then stock. below is an e-mail I received from them. Maybe we can get alot of members to contact them, they are a local company too.

Joseph:
We do not have a header/exhaust for your vehicle. We are interested, however,
at this time it is not a high priority for our R&D. We are very interested in
using your vehicle for R&D, but I can not give you a time frame as to if and
when it will happen. I have your contact information and would like to contact
you in the future.
Thanks again,
Jon Towers
Product Manager
JBA Headers
LET's all make our voices heard and get them to build us the headers!
Joe I've been in Texas visiting family. Let's get together. I've got a friend with a supercharged lightning that wants to line'em up. I think I can take him. Got any suggestions on where we might be able to drag? Zack

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Zack - I can think of a few good places for coffee, give me a call this week. Dont worry about those lightnings, if he beats you then I will play with him. Lightning are faster then they feel, and very consistent on the strip.

I do think JBA will attack the CARB Headers if they get enough calls to justify the R&D cost. CARB will not approve long tube headers but the shorty headers will have to flow better then the stock manifolds.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Phone number?

Joe,
Can you post their phone number so we can call them?
I took a ride in the lightning and every time he got on it the tires would go up in smoke and the rear would drift to the right. If I take him I think it'll be on the launch. I've gotten to where I can launch pretty hard without wheelspin....I would love to see you line up next to him. He's got an upgraded pully and a chip.
I'll call you next week.
Zack

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the JBA angle didn't pan out is there any other interest for SSR headers with the CARB EO blessing on them?

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
JBA is the only one that is interested in doing the CARB Headers. All the other manufacturers are not interested in CARB approval. We just need to stay on top of JBA to get it moved up on the priority scale. I can let them use my SSR any time after the Tri-State Run.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2005SSR6Speed said:
JBA is the only one that is interested in doing the CARB Headers. All the other manufacturers are not interested in CARB approval. We just need to stay on top of JBA to get it moved up on the priority scale. I can let them use my SSR any time after the Tri-State Run.
That staement is untrue as the manufacturer I'm talking with get CARB EO on all their products and even has their own emissions lab for testing prior to going to CARB for their certification.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Headers

2005SSR6Speed said:
Who is it? I would like to know so I can look at their current offerings.
It's a 'little' aftermarket company in Torrance called Edelbrock. Current offerings for the SSR are nil but there is a new product in the works if we can stir up enough demand - braided steel brakelines (to replace the flex portion). I have a set on my SSR right now and was planning to do the big unveiling etc at Laughlin. After that I will post pictures and some contact info so we can push them into producing them for everyone who wants them.

Headers - I'm working with the R&D manager there on the headers. We need to get a show of interest before Feb 2 so he can have some ammo to help get the project started.

·
Chevrolet Nut
1,420 Posts
I don't think the CARB will have aproblem with headers as lomg as they allow the installation of the stock CATs and O2 sensors. But you will to check with them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts