Chevy SSR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
I just found a letter that I had received from Bob Walczyk that answered questions that I had asked him to answer for all of our SSR family. I received the letter back in July of 2009 and he did answer the questions from our members on our SSRFanatic.com website.
  • The Final SSR count was 24,180 but the last VIN# ended in 24,112 ?
  • How many Pace Vehicles were produced for the 2003 Indianapolis 500 ?
  • Is Rick Mears' SSR VIN #3B000026, is there anything special about it other than it was his ?
  • What is the unique VIN# sequence for the Signature Series Vehicles ?
  • Was there a special SSR produced as a commemorative Pace Vehicle for this Penske Racing Museum in Phoenix ?
BW 2009 Letter1.jpg BW 2009 Letter2.jpg BW 2009Total SSRs.jpg
NOTE: VIN# 50 SSR was specially made for Rick Wagoner for his 50TH Birthday, because his wife wanted to surprise Rick with an Ultra Violet SSR.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,350 Posts
Here are some from my photo collection . . .

Blast

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Flassh said:
EDIT: SORRY, I had forgotten about TIM OLSON's webpage that is still active and has all the photos located here and more. Ray "Flassh" had already posted this link back in 2012 to Tim's website. Visit --> Tim Olson's SSR Website I will stop uploading photos here. Please visit the website for more information and photos.

I have located a CD that I got from Tim Olson who was kind enough to share so many of his SSRs early documentation photos. Many accessories were really great but a lot of them never actually made it to final production. Like the silver hood liners, custom engine cover colors, customized color accented floor mats or custom shift lever balls etc.
Acessories01.JPG

Acessories.jpg Acessories1.JPG Acessories02.JPG Acessories2.JPG Acessories3.jpg Acessories4.JPG Acessories5.JPG Acessories6.JPG Acessories7.JPG

Many more photos coming. Thanks again to Tim Olson!

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
More from Tim Olson's CD - Design & Styling

Design2.JPG
ASC

ASC1.JPG ASC2.JPG ASC3.JPG ASC4.JPG ASC5.JPG

Please visit the website for more information and photos. Tim Olson's SSR Web page
Flassh said:

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Just found a few more photos of the Last Day of SSR production on March 17, 2006. I was invited along with a friend of mine to go to the LCC FINAL DAY of production ceremonies. So I drove up to Detroit to met up with "HotRodGIrl" Debbie & Bob Walczyk to join the caravan ride down to Lansing. Bob surprised me by asking me to drive the Pacific Blue/ Smokin Black SSR 6 spd to Lansing. Of course I said YESSSS! :D You can see my Hummer in the side reflection of the SSR.

Hmmm I wonder who owns that beautiful SSR today?
LCC Last Day1A.jpg

3 Beautiful Pacific Blue SSRs were siting inside the LLC Plant. There was a raffel for one lucky UAW worker who would win one of the 3 SSRs
LCC Last Day1.jpg
Everyone talks about VIN # 24112 but here is the 2nd to last SSR built on that Final Day.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,660 Posts
Marc,
You need to write a book about all the special activities you got to participate in because you had the nerve to ask someone a question no one else dared ask, even though many would have liked to. You relally have led a charmed life with your SSR and we all appreciate you sharing it with us. Keep finding MORE!!!

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Marc,
You need to write a book about all the special activities you got to participate in because you had the nerve to ask someone a question no one else dared ask, even though many would have liked to. You really have led a charmed life with your SSR and we all appreciate you sharing it with us. Keep finding MORE!!!
Dwight, WOW yes indeed I really could write a book about a lot of my exciting days working at GM for over the last 48.2 years. Yes, even my SSR ordering turned into a wild journey that led me to be able to change my order at least 3 times while it was at the plant. I even had an engineer who wanted to Pedigree my SSR for me and I didn't even ask him to do that.

Perhaps I will get back to working on at least writing a short story all about some of my great SSR experiences soon. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
I would highly recommend reaching out to Dale "Cash". 👍
Hey Marc - thanks for the kudos.
Nathan, I have expended great effort trying to sort out the MY2003 WD1 Pilots, including a ton of hours on your personal request about #317
Contact Gary Witzenburg? The Pilots were being built during the information in SSR: An American Original
I phoned WBRP - I doubt they can add anything I haven't provided. I spoke with the owner and he was very congenial, but this was 7-8 years ago.
I have done all the research on #317 that I am prepared to do.
Hope to see it in Penticton though, if we can get through this mess.

Attachments

·
xs-cash
2,738 Posts
Hey Marc - thanks for the kudos.
Nathan, I have expended great effort trying to sort out the MY2003 WD1 Pilots, including a ton of hours on your personal request about #317
Contact Gary Witzenburg? The Pilots were being built during the information in SSR: An American Original
I phoned WBRP - I doubt they can add anything I haven't provided. I spoke with the owner and he was very congenial, but this was 7-8 years ago.
I have done all the research on #317 that I am prepared to do.
Hope to see it in Penticton though, if we can get through this mess.
Ya Cash I greatly appreciate all the info that u have provided on #317 , just reaching out to Marc, he seems to have so much information on our ssr’s , Cash you are our numbers guy !

·
Registered
162 Posts
Over the years I have seen photos of at least two SSRs painted to resemble the flame pace trucks. Some may recall one that was a promotional vehicle for a hair cutting salon. Looking very closely at the photo of this truck, it has an aftermarket Plexiglas windscreen installed- one with an SSR logo. As Gary and John have pointed out, the authentic pace trucks do not have raised wing style spoilers nor yellow seat inserts, at least in any photos I’ve ever seen, and all of the pace trucks I’ve seen have black upholstery. Neither does the truck in the photo appear to show any graphics from any race on the door. In all GM promotional photos of these cars on display, graphics from the current or last race paced were installed. Consistent with Marc’s editorial comment, it would appear this is not an authentic pace truck but an SSR customized and personalized for its owner. A closer visual examination to determine if it had pace truck features like the strobe lights, suspension modifications and the like would confirm this, but to the best of my knowledge from the folks who did the modifications for GM, there were only eleven SSR pace trucks built. This truck would be a true outlier if it had any of those modifications.
These pictures from Woodward Ave dream cruise are the 2 Pace Trucks at Indy. These SSR's were only 2 official trucks to pace Indy. One is from GM Heritage collection. The other is a private owner. This is first time they were together since race. Not sure if the detail can be seen of Pace only options.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,660 Posts
These pictures from Woodward Ave dream cruise are the 2 Pace Trucks at Indy. These SSR's were only 2 official trucks to pace Indy. One is from GM Heritage collection. The other is a private owner. This is first time they were together since race. Not sure if the detail can be seen of Pace only options.
View attachment 576048 View attachment 576049 View attachment 576050
I remember there was a lot of excitement making that happen. Gm brought theirs out and word made it to the bank parking lot and things started happening. Mike in AZ was definitely involved.

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I little more history about the 03-04 5.3L SSR engines. Back in April of 2004 (a month before I got my SSR) I went to a Suggestion Plan meeting in Romulus Michigan. I met a great guy name Dave. C. who was their UAW Suggestion Plan Administrator. After the meeting I asked Dave if he wouldn't mind taking me down on the Production floor to show me around. These photos are from my visit that day at the Romulus Engine Plant. Romulus made I believe three versions of the 5.3L engines. One of them was the 2003-2004 5.3L Aluminum Engine made for our SSRs.

Below photo is myself with John S.

On the left is Dave C . & myself The Yellow SSR was the image that Romulus used for their SSR Engine pins that I shared with members while I was at the WDC events. Who still has that Pin?
Romulus Visit2.JPG Romulus Visit1.JPG Romulus SSR.jpg
Engine Displays: the below 5.3L cut-away engine is not the SSR motor
Romulus 5_3 Engine Display1.JPG Romulus 5_3 Engine Display2.JPG

Assembly Line running but not SSR engines at the time I was there.
Romulus Assy Line1.jpg Romulus Assy Line.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I just found my Romulus Hat Pin that they had handed out to their employees. I believe that I had handed out a couple of dozen back in the ole days of WDC 2005.

Who still has there's?
SSR Pin Sm.jpg

61 - 80 of 91 Posts