Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope to have the wiring done tomorrow and install the driverside cover. I will start on the coil relocation after that, it will probably be after this weekend. We have plans to be in a Hotel on the San Diego Harbor for the new years weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am back from a small break for New Years, we got a hotel on the San Diego Harbor. We had a chance to go to the San Doego International Auto Show, it was real nice to see GM there in force. Gm had the largest display area there, it was set up nice and they were giving a Supercharged Cobalt SS away on Sunday.

Now I will be getting back under the hood of the SSR to finish the wiring, it would scare the hell out of someone to see the mess of wires under the hood right now. I have to extend the harnesses for the Coils to reach the relocation point. I also have to shorten some other harnesses. Once I am done with all the modifications to the harness I can start with the heat shrink to finish it up.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,127 Posts
Are you using the corrugated material for wire loom? The "high temp" stuff is actually nylon and can be identified by the grey stripe running lengthwise. I recommend shrink tubing on the ends instead of tape.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am using shrink tubing for the harness on the engine. I need to purchase another harness that I can build seperate from the SSR to shrink tube entirely. I want to send a complete harness to Nelson Performance so he can replicate it for members to purchase. Right now I just want to get the SSR back up and running.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have the part number for a complete engine harness for a 2005 SSR 6 Speed and is it the same as the auotmatic. I understand that the crank trigger changed for the 06 SSR, can anyone confirm that?

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Cross-over

2005SSR6Speed said:
I am back from a small break for New Years, we got a hotel on the San Diego Harbor. We had a chance to go to the San Doego International Auto Show, it was real nice to see GM there in force. Gm had the largest display area there, it was set up nice and they were giving a Supercharged Cobalt SS away on Sunday.

Now I will be getting back under the hood of the SSR to finish the wiring, it would scare the hell out of someone to see the mess of wires under the hood right now. I have to extend the harnesses for the Coils to reach the relocation point. I also have to shorten some other harnesses. Once I am done with all the modifications to the harness I can start with the heat shrink to finish it up.
Anything new from GM strike your fancy? They are suppose to bring out some new crossover vehicle's in the next 18 months. :cool

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They had the normal lineup with all the SS vehicles in line to include the new TrailBlazer SS. I really like the TrailBlazer SS, LS2 and all wheel drive are a great combination (now just wait for the 6 speed automatic).

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
The SSR may be "down hard" but its going to look Da*m good when you are finished:thumbs

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have the part number for the engine wiring harness on the 05 6 Speed? I will be visiting the dealership tomorrow to order it and do the modifications on it seperate from the vehicle, it is just too hard to work with the harness under the hood. Rainy weather makes me real sore with 3 Titanium plates in my neck. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pulled the part number for the wiring harness yesterday #15281305 at a cost of list $1433.53 and dealer cost at $817.11. I have decided to change the design to make it easier to mount the new covers and coil relocation brackets. The coild relocation brackets will be smaller and mount on the valve covers to aid in installation without a new wiring harness. The brackets will be offset on the new valve covers and the valve covers will be engraved with SSR right above the brackets. I have included a picture of a valve cover with a template for the relocation bracket and 1 coil mounted. This is to give you an idea of how it will look when done. The wiring harness is a bear to work with as it is and I am trying to make it easier.

The picture below ilustrates what the setup will look like. The coils will mount right next to each other on the relocation bracket. The paper template will have all 4 coils mounted.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Sounds like a good idea - keep it simple. Less parts and changes = less things to go wrong.
I look forward to seeing all this in person.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts