Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I expected the thing just to roll. Spent $200 so far (jack and the dollies) and the car has not moved an inch. I didn't think I was a "girly man" but can't move the thing. My wife is laughing at me. I guess I need a few people to help, eh?

C

·
0 Posts
Its tough to get one rolling. I use dollys for one of my 64 Chevys, but it has a bumper thats easy and safe to push and pull on. The SSR has few places to push on, unless you want dented fenders. Be very careful where youre pushing, I'd say the best place on the SSR would be one of the rear wheels.
Your floor has to be really clean too. The smallest rock will stop you.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you mean it's do-able with just myslef? I was thinking about reselling the dollies on Ebay since I was not able to move the car.

C

·
0 Posts
Its probably not gonna work by yourself. I have to have help to move my car. Once its rolling its easy, but getting it started is a pain.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Car dollies

Hey, I don't know what brand u guys hav but this site may help with sum of ur ?'s. http://www.tireskate.com/

Hope it helps ya'll.

:cool

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about putting it on the doilies and use the jack positioned in the middle of the car to push it? Would that work? This car is a heffer....

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ssr17of25 said:
Hey, I don't know what brand u guys hav but this site may help with sum of ur ?'s. http://www.tireskate.com/

Hope it helps ya'll.

:cool

got the red ones. There is no problem with the dollies, it's just that it's too heavy to move.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Being in the heavy machinery moving business maybe this will help:

1. Larger wheels turn easier than small ones. Good quality casters are a must. As an example, good casters that can carry 1200 pounds or so would cost about 50.00 each. Also a smooth clean floor is a must. You'd be surprised what will stop a wheel. Think of a wheel chock.

2. When you set the dollies, remember the "trailing wheel" theory. Look at the dolly wheels when they are empty and you move the dolly. Typically the wheel must spin around so that the wheel trails the caster. If the wheels are not pointing in the right direction it takes a lot of effort to get them pointed (spun around) prior to even moving in the right direction. When you set the dolly always make sure that the last movement is in the direction you want to travel.
This is hard to put into words. But look at the dolly wheels when you move them empty to see how the wheels react and you will see what I mean.

Hope this might help.

Mike

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks mile. It makes sense. i'll try this Wednesday again. Will post results (if any)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Red,

Any luck in moving that beast??

Mike

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike, I did try it again with the wifey and the kids and it was a no go. Next is my brother-in-law and if that fails, I'd have 4 almost new dollies for sale :banghead

1 - 12 of 12 Posts