Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a lot of variation by dealer and region on price and am wondering if members might like to comment on price in their area.... (i.e in Houston the market seems to be moving SSr's @ MSRP less $2000 or more)

Over the past 6-8 weeks I have been researching/following transaction pricing for the overal market. To me, there are some obvious trends including:

> there are still a lot of 2003 SSr's in dealer inventory. Most dealers have given up and will sell their 2003 for MSRP or less but there are some that still think they should be at a significant premium. Given that there were only about 3500 made such that they should be all gone this is "perplexing";

> at the current rate of production, there should be 12 to 15 thousand 2004 SSr's manufactured. Most were ordered at or near full content (MSRP $45-46k) as greedy dealers tried to take advantage of what was thought to be a very strong market. Note that less than 2% do not have the 1SB package (which many of us have found to be a practical waste of $1900 unless you have to have heated seats). The few trucks with 1SA seem to have sold (particularly if the have the factory $895 Bedrug in back);

> dealers who are selling SSr's are now selling them at MSRP, and in most cases, for less than MSRP as they realize demand at the $45k plus level is no where near the 15 thousand units Chevrolet is likely to produce and it is getting late in the model year;

> the recent annoucement that there will be an "upgraded" SSr in 2005, with a more powerful engine, will cause many buyers to wait and see what 2005 brings such that, unless there is a significant price increase (unlikely as the vehicle would truly be too expensive) the value of the 2004 SSr's will drop materially as dealers rush to rid themselves of obsolete 2003/4's and GM is likley to have to provide incentives (not unlike what Ford ended up having to do with the Blackwood and Thunderbird after the bloom was off them thar roses, which will be good for consumers....... :thumbs

WTS, what is happening with prices in your area? This will help those who want to buy now get a fair market deal.....

:seeya

S

·
0 Posts
Southwest Washington
There are only 5 registered in my county out of 250K populatuion. I still have at least one person a day tell me it's the first one they have seen. Put the top down yesterday guy almost passed out!!!
The only one my dealer has had parked on his floor is mine & that's only because of our relationship, paid sticker for mine $46,250 fully loaded except chrome wheels. I have already talked to him about an '05; I am 1st on the list, he said he will give me what I paid and could turn it for an extra 2K in no time.

F

·
0 Posts
Ssrguy ....you Are Exactly Right

It's a supply and demand thing. Always is. SSR's are cool but you have to have 3500 buyers for a specialty vehicle in 3months and 15,000 more in a year. If they would keep supply just short of demand it would be great for resale, but they aren't. You are right on the money. There are SSR's sitting in inventory all around me here in Texas. Easy to get a discount at the "in tune" big city dealer's, but you are right most of the small dealer's are still dreaming...even at sticker prices. I bought a new 03 for $40,500.....right here in Texas. See, an additional problem is the dealers mostly order all the options with stickers at $46K ($47k now with chrome wheels). When you go to resell, they all pretty much bring the same. A person is better off with a 1SA for a sticker of $42,010 (mandatory $15.00 frt. lic. bracket in Tx). The best discount I have seen is $3000 off MSRP.....but they had a high MSRP ($46K) That is about $400 or so BELOW cost. I am looking for a $42,000 sticker with $3000 off that would be $39,000. But even at that, SSR GUY, you are right....there will more than likely be incentives before year end. You are correct in saying they will be exactly like T-Bird, PT Cruiser, Prowler etc.. I have known this all along. I think a lot of folks here are having a diffuicult time accepting this. My Yellow Prowler turns more heads than my SSR did. I know you folks here at SSR Fanatic may not believe it but I have driven both recently and for sure the Prowler gets more attention. You can buy a Prowler in the twenties. Sure it doesnt have a V-8 or a retractable top.........but it turns more heads.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tx Great, Pacific NW/Ca not so... feedback from the midwest PLEASE

Friend at GM mentioned to me last night that she thought Tx area was as good as any to buy right now because several of the city dealers (who actually sell a lot of trucks which is why they have the SSr's) were VERY long on SSr's and realized they were not selling well at all while the west coast, particularly in the Pacific Northwest, simply did not have a lot of product.

Many of the midwest dealers are below MSRP, as they see '03's sitting in inventory and 04's piling up behind them with an upgraded '05 coming soon. The issue that most midwestern dealers I have spoken with sugges is that they really wish they had ordered 1SA with only compartment trim trucks and then sold the other items (running boards et cetera) out of their parts departments. at a small discount, as accessories. This would have kept MSRP less than $43k and cost about $39k, allowed customers to get what they wanted and built goodwill while maintaining margins in most cases. Ever see the difference between the 1SA and the 1SB truck> there is no 'visual' from the road.... and that is what the SSr is really all about!

F

·
0 Posts
I Agree 100% Ssrguy

$1900 for 6disc and heated seats.......come on. Won't come back to you at resale. I say when trying to figure out the SSR's future value......REMEMBER THE T-BIRD. That's all you really need to know. It's a shame too because it is a cool vehicle but I can't enjoy driving with major depreciation. I sold mine in the nick if time. Now I'm waiting for the market to cool even further. You know you can buy a T-Bird with low low miles in the lower to mid twenties now. Maybe I can get two SSR's if i wait a bit :).

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
There is an ad in todays paper where a dealer in New Smyrna Beach FL is offering SSRs at $500 over cost. According to his web site he has 3 2003's and 1 2004 on the lot. This is a dealer that has tried to hold on to the 5-10 K markup over MSRP. Sounds like hes wanting to move these vehicles. I don't know if the ad is a come-on or not. I havent called. Cost might be what they paid for it from another dealer and not from Chevy.

·
Registered
601 Posts
In the washington, DC area that includes Maryland and Virginia. Dealers here are still holding on to the 10 to 15K markup. I think that by know that they would have given up on that. If I upgrade to the 2005 then I will go out of state to get my next one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was just at my dealer's (n. virginia) a few minutes ago - I paid msrp, now he has two new ones marked at 5K OVER msrp.
I don't think he believed me when I said prices are coming down...

·
Registered
601 Posts
KewlRide,

i bought mine from a dealer in MAryland and the last time I was there was a month ago and they three that were still 10k above sticker price. The blurple has been there since begining of Feb.

I guest that they think that know they can still get out rages prices for the truck when someone can go midwest and get it for sticker. :rant

·
Registered
54 Posts
yea - kinda upsetting actually - I was all impressed with him for actually selling at msrp - I think Cruzned got his there too (for msrp). now he's jumping on the greed wagon just like all the others. Guess I'll have to stop sending people over there. :)

F

·
0 Posts
KewlRide said:
I was just at my dealer's (n. virginia) a few minutes ago - I paid msrp, now he has two new ones marked at 5K OVER msrp.
I don't think he believed me when I said prices are coming down...
Even sticker (MSRP) is way too high in our Texas area. It pays to shop around.....it's amazing at the difference in prices. But I know one thing.....even at discounted prices there is no one beating the door down to buy what inventory is out there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
well i paid sticker for mine in maryland and i live in new york where they are still asking 10K over.

i have said before that this was a real gut reaction purchase as in "Darn i just have to have this car."

maybe I could have saved some money but i actually thought sticker was a bargain at least back in late January/early February.

if i had all the money i wasted over the years i probably could have bought that new ford racecar at $140,000+.

rick :lol

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Kewlride: Send the guys at our favorite dealership to this website. I was so stoked to get sticker in Nov. of 2003!! From a dealer in Va. no less....Sad to see they are going over the edge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
cruzned said:
Kewlride: Send the guys at our favorite dealership to this website. I was so stoked to get sticker in Nov. of 2003!! From a dealer in Va. no less....Sad to see they are going over the edge.
I did - haven't heard anything yet... :)
Next time I'm over there I'm gonna show them my nice running boards. :lol

F

·
0 Posts
Invoice plus $500 in NC

I offered invioce to a dealer that had 2 on his lot, a week later we agreed on $500 over invoice. I guess I got a pretty good deal although I wish it had more power! I had a Z06 vette I traded in! Fredfryguy :seeya :lol :flag

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dealer had one yellow and one purple 2004 for 5000 over list. The 03 they sold was listed for 10000 over MSRP. That one went to one of the dealers employees, so I don't know what the final price was. I ended up paying MSRP for mine and they still have the purple one on the lot. It has been there for at least 5 or 6 weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Just to show how the prices have dropped!

Bought my Redline almost exactly three months ago. Many were giving above MSRP and few were hitting the mark. I bought one with a list of approximately $43,980 for $42,500. Today I bought a silver one with a list of $44,740 for $41,718! :) The downside of this is that the resale on the cars will drop just as drastically! :( I still can't see them reaching the depths of the Tbirds. :nodno I am taking all bets that 2005 will be the last year of the SSR! :yesnod

·
Registered
28 Posts
In Ma

Here in MA near us, we have 2 dealerships. 1 was asking 15,000 more than sticker ( 2 months ago ). The other sold us our 2004 for $1,000 under sticker.

pays to shop.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Saw an ad today for 2004 SSR in Canada (prices here have been at least $15,000 more than in the US) for $55,588 Cdn which equates to $40,000 US. Looks like things are starting to crater.

·
Registered
83 Posts
SSR sales

Here is a link that shows GM's sales. The article states that May SSR sales are down 19.6 % from April 2004. It's only a matter of time before Chevy dealers have to drop pricing. Once the 2005 SSR comes out with all the upgrades I suspect that they will have to offer incentives to move the 2004 models off the lots. The 2004 SSR that was advertised for $3000 off MSRP in early May here if N. Texas is still not sold and another local dealer advertised $2000 off MSRP this past weekend.

http://www.lsj.com/news/business/040603_gm_1a-7a.html

:lurk :thumbs

1 - 20 of 36 Posts