Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a lot of variation by dealer and region on price and am wondering if members might like to comment on price in their area.... (i.e in Houston the market seems to be moving SSr's @ MSRP less $2000 or more)

Over the past 6-8 weeks I have been researching/following transaction pricing for the overal market. To me, there are some obvious trends including:

> there are still a lot of 2003 SSr's in dealer inventory. Most dealers have given up and will sell their 2003 for MSRP or less but there are some that still think they should be at a significant premium. Given that there were only about 3500 made such that they should be all gone this is "perplexing";

> at the current rate of production, there should be 12 to 15 thousand 2004 SSr's manufactured. Most were ordered at or near full content (MSRP $45-46k) as greedy dealers tried to take advantage of what was thought to be a very strong market. Note that less than 2% do not have the 1SB package (which many of us have found to be a practical waste of $1900 unless you have to have heated seats). The few trucks with 1SA seem to have sold (particularly if the have the factory $895 Bedrug in back);

> dealers who are selling SSr's are now selling them at MSRP, and in most cases, for less than MSRP as they realize demand at the $45k plus level is no where near the 15 thousand units Chevrolet is likely to produce and it is getting late in the model year;

> the recent annoucement that there will be an "upgraded" SSr in 2005, with a more powerful engine, will cause many buyers to wait and see what 2005 brings such that, unless there is a significant price increase (unlikely as the vehicle would truly be too expensive) the value of the 2004 SSr's will drop materially as dealers rush to rid themselves of obsolete 2003/4's and GM is likley to have to provide incentives (not unlike what Ford ended up having to do with the Blackwood and Thunderbird after the bloom was off them thar roses, which will be good for consumers.......

WTS, what is happening with prices in your area? This will help those who want to buy now get a fair market deal..... :thumbs

S

·
0 Posts
I agree with your comments. Doing a little search of dealer inventories in WI I have located several SSR's still on the lots. The dealers thought they would fly off the lots.
The dealer in my town got one in and it went out right away as it was spoken for. His second unit (soon to arrive) is not spoken for so far. He did not tell me what it sold for, but originally he was looking to get $5k OVER sticker! The dealer in a bordering town has a yellow one on the lot right now for a $2k premium over sticker.
Pretty steep to add to an already $45,000 vehicle. Dealers got away with that on the PT Cruiser because it was "only" a $20,000 vehicle to start with, and the economy was much better when that buggy came out. But with the cost of an SSR you start to weed out a lot of buyers.
Sometimes the dealers can be their own worst enemy.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Prices in Canada are falling too. Saw an ad in yesterdays paper for a new 2003 reduced from $80,335 to $63,995. Works out to $46,000 US or close to your MSRP. Not a bad deal considering we had a $15,000 premium to US pricing a few months ago. Still expensive and I bet by late summer our prices will be down a lot more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SSR dealer prices- Flint, MI

The dealer I took delivery from (in the Flint, MI) area, has 4 SSR's sitting on the lot. The salesman told me they're not selling well, and many folks think 45k is too much for the mediocre performance, when compared to the 'vette. My salesman said they will sell for GMS pricing, which knocks about $5,000 off the MSRP, depending on options.

S

·
0 Posts
I was just at the West Bend, WI chevy dealer. They have a blurple one there with an ADP (additional dealer profit) of $4995.00 over sticker price! I hope they choke on it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are they Smoking out there

A dealer with the audacity to ask $5k over MSRP..... what are they growing out behind the dealer's place of business...... :lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wonder what GM is getting for the red SSRs that were at the Indy 500? They were really sharp with the flag decalls on both sides and the the Indy logo on the tail gate. Must have been at least twenty of them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts