Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the North American International Auto Show in Detroit earlier this week, Ed Welburn, GM's vice president of global design, said the SSR was not a failure.

"Those who were involved in creating the vision of the vehicle always saw it as a very low-volume vehicle, and I think it has totally fulfilled that," he said.

"Sure, you would like to see it continue in production," he said. "But that's part of what a low-volume vehicle is. It does its job, and you move on."

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060113/NEWS03/601130332/0/special

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dream

So...unless GM pulls a St. Patrick's Day miracle - my dream of an SSR-Z (AWD/LS7), ain't gonna happen.

At the least, we all can "Love the One you're with."
:party

·
Registered
262 Posts
love the one you are with

wildcat66 said:
Good point !! Congrats on your first post!!!! Welcome to the family!
glad to see that the folks at gm see the ssr as a success.
glad to be a small part of that success
glad to have mine !
i think we are all lucky to have our ssr's early in their life, having fun with them, sharing them with others etc. i didn't get mine real early, but i'm glad i didn't
procrastinate any longer cause it is the most fun vehicle i've ever bought !
circlek u/violet 04 from kentucky

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
GM is so full of crap sometimes. If this were the true end GM was planning for the SSR then why are they not building the "Spring Edition" that was planned months ago.????????

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
In my lifetime I've had more cars than I care to admit to. I can say that my 06 Black Tie has been one of the most enjoyed cars by me that I've ever had; even my first new vet in 1974.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Good point !! Congrats on your first post!!!! Welcome to the family!
Thanks! I've been watching you guys/gals "from the outside" for a long time. There's no doubt in my
mind that sales for these rigs would've been way better, if only more potential buyers had at least taken them for a test drive. But I have to admit, it took the
LS2 - the other changes for '05 - and a dynomite deal on a low mileage "strippo", to get even me to try one.
Well...I was hooked before I even got all the way off the lot! I feel guilty for how little I paid, compared to how much most of you "pioneers" did.

But, I'm trying to make up for it by being almost obsessed with the desire to add a Magnacharger. Yes, it'll be great on the open road, but, I'm afraid that I'll have to drive it like a pooch around town, just to keep from lighting up the tires. Sure hate to screw my baby up!

Anyway - glad to be here - and sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sparky2

I see you live in Wisconsin. Is the weather letting you have any driving time?
Mine is rain tight here in Washington so I can drive mine.

Driving a Hot Rod
Skip

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love The One Your With

circlek454 said:
glad to see that the folks at gm see the ssr as a success.
glad to be a small part of that success
glad to have mine !
i think we are all lucky to have our ssr's early in their life, having fun with them, sharing them with others etc. i didn't get mine real early, but i'm glad i didn't
procrastinate any longer cause it is the most fun vehicle i've ever bought !
circlek u/violet 04 from kentucky

:agree I love it when I'm with my Redline Red SSR :ssr
I get teased all the time because I just can't call it a car,truck, or vehicle.....when I refer to it .......it has to be called an SSR :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good to Go in Wisconsin

SA13355 said:
I see you live in Wisconsin. Is the weather letting you have any driving time?
Mine is rain tight here in Washington so I can drive mine.

Driving a Hot Rod
Skip

I was able to get a sweet deal on mine in November
from a dealer who didn't want to plow around it for the next 5 months. I figured I would get hardly no quality time with "Miss Silver" until spring, and that it would be sane and practical to just park it. Well, the first time the roads got bad, I was "forced" to take her out and remind myself just how bad it would be. Nobody
could've convinced me that it would be "driveable",
much less safe or fun. I'll be damned - it is!

Just like we've found that it's not "bad" in the rain, those of us who've had the chance to try it on snow packed roads can agree that it's not "bad" there either.
I never dreamed I would take her out in the salt - but
there is no way I'm going to leave her sit when she
behaves this good. She's been so good and willing to
please in all but the worst conditions, I'm going to reward her with a Magnacharger. I can hardly wait!
(My wife of 26 years was initially displeased, but she's
getting a new bed spread - so the universe is back in balance.)

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Sparky 2 said:
from a dealer who didn't want to plow around it for the next 5 months. I figured I would get hardly no quality time with "Miss Silver" until spring, and that it would be sane and practical to just park it. Well, the first time the roads got bad, I was "forced" to take her out and remind myself just how bad it would be. Nobody

Just like we've found that it's not "bad" in the rain, those of us who've had the chance to try it on snow packed roads can agree that it's not "bad" there either.
please in all but the worst conditions, I'm going to reward her with a Magnacharger. I can hardly wait!
Bead spread for an SSR! Sounds like a good deal to me.

:grouphug​

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I wouldn't call it a failure. Sure ,it didn't sell like the Silverado, But to me that is half the fun of it. There aren't many of them on the road and just about everyone looks at it and wants to know what it is.On top of that you can go Topless!
And not to mention all the great people I have come into contact with on this board.
It'll never be a failure in my eyes:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good deal all around

SS My R said:
Bead spread for an SSR! Sounds like a good deal to me.

:grouphug​
Yah! Actually, the wife likes the SSR - the bed spread
was to make up for the blower. (She doesn't think the
Magnacharger is necessary - but that just shows that she just doesn't quite understand...)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Sparky 2 said:

WHAT?!??! you drove it in the snow?

Yeah, I thought it did well too.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Welcome Sparky 2

QUOTE Thanks! I've been watching you guys/gals "from the outside" for a long time. There's no doubt in my
mind that sales for these rigs would've been way better, if only more potential buyers had at least taken them for a test drive. But I have to admit, it took the
LS2 - the other changes for '05 - and a dynomite deal on a low mileage "strippo", to get even me to try one.
Well...I was hooked before I even got all the way off the lot! I feel guilty for how little I paid, compared to how much most of you "pioneers" did.

Yea, But us Pioneers have been enjoying the SSR for over 2 years now. So it was worth every extra penny!

By the way if you really want to keep the wife happy be sure to check out
www.windsuppressr.com :seeya

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Bought my First New Vet in 74 too

SS My R said:
In my lifetime I've had more cars than I care to admit to. I can say that my 06 Black Tie has been one of the most enjoyed cars by me that I've ever had; even my first new vet in 1974.
I'm still enjoying both of them, my '74 Silver Mist Convertible (ordered from the General in '73 and delivered in May of '74) and my '05 Silver SSR.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts