Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working on putting an L33 engine into a 1980 amc amx with an M10 T56 transmission from an SSR. From what i've researched, the LS7 clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder setup will work with the my combination, but am stuck on master cylinder and pedals. Do i need to match the master cylinder to the pedals i choose ie ssr pedals with ssr MC or corvette pedals with corvette MC? Or can i mix and match? I also see no pedal assemblies online for sale for an SSR or on a search from the wrecker yards online. I can't even find part numbers. I did find a master cylinder though. On the other side, i've found lots of corvette pedals and the MC is much cheaper to buy. The SSR MC i did find looks a lot beefier than the corvette one so thats why im curious if you can mix and match. I don't want a tick adjustable MC because of the added stiffness to the clutch pedal, which i can't find for sale online anyway.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Differences in master cylinder are going to be the bore size of the master cylinder. It is going to make a difference in what calipers you are using and if you are running power brakes or manual brakes. Wilwood brakes has some good information about sizing master cylinders and brake pedal leverage or at least they used to on their web site. I used all Wilwood parts on a Chevelle and their tech people were great at helping me get everything I needed. One other thing will also be the proportioning valve and sizing it for your project.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Differences in master cylinder are going to be the bore size of the master cylinder. It is going to make a difference in what calipers you are using and if you are running power brakes or manual brakes. Wilwood brakes has some good information about sizing master cylinders and brake pedal leverage or at least they used to on their web site. I used all Wilwood parts on a Chevelle and their tech people were great at helping me get everything I needed. One other thing will also be the proportioning valve and sizing it for your project.
:|
Maybe I am misreading the orig posters comments, but I think you may have made a (wrong turn) in your reply. Appeared to me he is focused on the master cylinder for the (clutch) setup and not for the brakes.:nerd:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:|
Maybe I am misreading the orig posters comments, but I think you may have made a (wrong turn) in your reply. Appeared to me he is focused on the master cylinder for the (clutch) setup and not for the brakes.:nerd:
Yes focused on the clutch master cylinder right now. Corvette's is $100 cheaper and i cant even find SSR pedals, even aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Yes focused on the clutch master cylinder right now. Corvette's is $100 cheaper and i cant even find SSR pedals, even aftermarket.
Should be no problem using a clutch master cylinder from another brand. Looks like they all use the same fitting to join the two components. The LS7 actuator has worked on multiple SSRs.

Same generation Caddy CTS-V uses the same stock flywheel and clutch, and is able to use the LS7 components. I don't know if any GTOs were built with a 6 speed, but if so, that would work as well.

I would also check on components used on the 2010 or newer manual transmssion Camaros. There would be a bunch more wrecks available for parts sources.

If you're switching to the LS7 components, have a read of this post on a thread I started a couple weeks ago. I have a link there to a Hinson remote bleeder.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/4206831-post12.html

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Thanks Moscooter I was looking at Master Cylinder and thinking brakes. Being an automatic guy I didn't think about the clutch set up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should be no problem using a clutch master cylinder from another brand. Looks like they all use the same fitting to join the two components. The LS7 actuator has worked on multiple SSRs.

Same generation Caddy CTS-V uses the same stock flywheel and clutch, and is able to use the LS7 components. I don't know if any GTOs were built with a 6 speed, but if so, that would work as well.

I would also check on components used on the 2010 or newer manual transmssion Camaros. There would be a bunch more wrecks available for parts sources.

If you're switching to the LS7 components, have a read of this post on a thread I started a couple weeks ago. I have a link there to a Hinson remote bleeder.
So i can join the SSR MC to corvette pedals? Or CTS-V/2010+ camaro pedals etc.

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
So i can join the SSR MC to corvette pedals? Or CTS-V/2010+ camaro pedals etc.
I can't confirm the pedal to MC relationship, but likely you would want the pedal and MC to be a matched set. I was thinking of the hydraulic connection between the MC and actuator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts