Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
FatherLarry said:

What you are asking is do you like to cruise or go fast. The good news is that if you own an SSR you can make it go a lot faster. The bad news if you own a lightning is that you'll never be able to put the top down and cruise.

But the real answer is you have to have both :confused because otherwise everyone would be driving the SSR :lol

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,841 Posts

let's not start any wars ... people buy what they like, and the rich can have it all. I was born chevy in a chryco family. The SSR "roof up" look does it for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have both a 2004 ssr and a 2004 lightning... i drive the lightning everyday it is the most fun i ever had driving a car.. the ssr is fun but it is only fun if the top is down. if it is going to rain or the weather is bad it is no fun to drive. the lightning is fun to drive all the time.. if i would of bought the lightning first i would of never bought the ssr.

2004 ssr
2004 lightning
1982 el camino
1967 camaro

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This is an easy question to answer...

You can hop up an SSR, but you can not make the Lightning into a cool hardtop convertable. :ssr

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
REBEL said:
let's not start any wars ... people buy what they like, and the rich can have it all. I was born chevy in a chryco family. The SSR "roof up" look does it for me.
No wars intended, just starting conversation.. BTW..you have a nice website. I too, was in the auto body business, now retired. We were a father and son team, my dad and I. When I got out of Nam in the late '60's, I built a '57 Chevy Canary Yellow E-gaser, and was a Grand National winner at National Speedway in Islip, NY, which is now closed down. I also did some custom work for Joel at Baldwin Motion Performance where I worked on the conversions for their Motion Corvette, Camaro, and Vega. Those were great times and building and racing a car was much more affordable than it is today. Growing up with my father and his six brothers, there was no way I could not love the American automobile. Here's some pics of the rest of my cars and family. As you can see, I'm breaking them in from young. Also, I'm lucky enough to have my wife, who I've been with since I was twelve yrs old, and married now 34 years.. She has always supported my trade and hobby. :flag

http://www.fatherlarryscorvetteshop.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?threadid=1778

http://www.fatherlarryscorvetteshop.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?threadid=1779

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,841 Posts
larry

I have had three 57 belairs, this last one is sticken till death due us part. It's great to have a wife that let's us pay ... (typo play) :thumbs

·
Registered
197 Posts
:agree i see an ssr i still say damn!!thats cool!!
i see a lighting and i say man its a ford looks like the last one i seen!! :yawn
gt 40 yeah wow!!!!!maybe if i sell my house :ssr

G

·
I don't want to start any wars either. Having owned a '94, '00 and '04 Lighting, and now an '05 SSR I feel pretty comfortable with comparing. As others have said it really is all in what you like, what are you looking for? These are two very different trucks. First off there are no new Lightings and I am not sure when or if Ford will make another having dismantled thier SVT team! There are pluses and minuses to everything, end of producton can work both ways. Next, the Lighting is an F-150 and pretty much looks like one, albeit very nice. The SSR is much less truck, and more retro roadster. Niether can haul or pull much, but the lightning is an F-150 and can be used like one to a point, the SSR, wellll, I'm not why we have a bed, more like a big trunk, lol. it also provides space for the top. The L is supercharged, last model rated 380hp. It sucks gas like a pig when that boost gauge rises, but it also hauls some major butt. The SSR is rated at 390hp, naturaly asperated, but our trucks weight waaay more, making us a bit slower. Conversly our ride is smoother and softer, a true road mobile. The L corners like a mustang, but again we have "ride". Then there is the top, well, no comparison, and it is no little matter. Frankly, there is no comparison in looks IMHO either, but the L is a great truck.

The L is like a mustang truck, the SSR is a convertable roadster, quite different IMO. I would re-evaluate what you want: the fastest best handling truck, an L; a very fast super cool convertable roadster, an SSR.

Many ways to view it. Lets see how many PU trucks are there out there versus how many roadsters? I would love to have both, but the SSR is for me. Oh ya price, got my '04 L using a Ford X plan, 30k, so they are much less expensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I traded in a beautiful '02 Lightning in on my SSR. My own opinion is the Lightning is a mean looking, take no prisoners, tough full size truck.....that can actually be used for one if needed. It had no issues at all that I could find....it seemed nice and tight, and ran like a rapped ape. I got my '04 SSR and have really liked it. The retractable hard top is cool as well as the style. It felt pretty portly to drive besides quite a bit of interior squeaks, rattles, and rubbing noises. The interior is very cramped compared to the Lightning. I recently added a Magna Charger to the SSR and boy did it wake it up. It makes that same cool sound that the Lightning made, and really feels a lot more nimble than it did, besides it now runs like a rapped ape. I was really pleased with the out come from the supercharger. Now I miss my Lightning but am really liking my SSR a lot more now than before and feel like I want to keep it forever. One thing I do have to mention... I never had any cooling issues with the Lightning...As you can read by the posts on the forum....Engine and Tranny heat is a major screw up on the General's part, and I'm hopping that one of our forum buddies will come up with a real upgrade idea to fix this problem........my 2 cents :thumbs

·
Registered
904 Posts
Easy question, If you have to ask should I buy a SSR or a ??? then you don't need a SSR, A SSR finds you, You don't find it

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks for introducing me to the Lightning. I checked out the web site and it's just a regular pu. No comparison to our SSR's in styling, power or our convertible feature. My impression is, why bother.

Sarasota Joe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Joe Schuhriemen said:
No comparison to our SSR's...power
I beg to differ on that point. With the roots blower (380HP and 450 TQ) the motor has a mile wide powerband. These trucks are not to be trifled with.

I do like the SSR's style. And the convertible aspect is very cool. My wife planned to get one to replace her 2000 Lightning and the T-bird, but is now out of work. So we will wait until she finds a job and then start looking again. I may get rid of my '95 Lightning instead of ehrs, but I like the "old school" pushrod motor (factory 351W w/GT40 heads and intake.)

As you can see in my sig, I have Ford and Chevy power. :)

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Check out the times that the Magazines have been getting with stock 2005 6 Speed SSR's. They can be pretty fast in just stock form, I have respect for the Lightnings but love my LS2 6 Speed SSR.

I will take care of my appearance mods first then on to the drivetrain. Plans for my build will be a stroked and forged high compression short block with AFR 225 heads. Then maybe a little shot of funny gas (200 Shot). I will have to wait till after the new year to start on the engine.

G

·
Joe Schuhriemen said:
Thanks for introducing me to the Lightning. I checked out the web site and it's just a regular pu. No comparison to our SSR's in styling, power or our convertible feature. My impression is, why bother.

Sarasota Joe
I agree Argo, he hasn't reallllly gotten to know a Lightning, :lol

I would also agree my biggest gripe is space. The Lightning had a cab, but this is more sports carish. I can live with it, lol. I also agree that the SSR with an SC would be the ticket to living up to the look. Another 100 ponies would be perfect, maybe when the warrenty is getting closer to expiring. Truth be told a new redone Lightining would have gotten my attention first, but it never happened. Now I love my SSR, it suits me, I was ready for an upgrade, ooops, lol.

Two totally different rides: What do want from life, a babies arm holding an Apple? (Tubes; 1978sh)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts