Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

SSR FAMILY MEMBER
Discussion Starter #1
My truck would over heat after driving only 3 miles! We had to haul it on a U- HAUL TRUCK and trailer 550 miles to our home in Michigan. I brought it to a speed shop who puts super chargers on for Berger Chevrolet and any one that wants to pump up their horsepower! His place is called CUSTOM HORSEPOWER and has a dino to fine tune your vehicle plus he has his own cars that he races! The first thing he did was to pull the exhaust manifolds and spark plugs to look inside to see if water got into the motor. He found to my surprise that no water got into the firing chambers, so that was good news that the head gaskets had not blown! He found that my lower radiator hose had a small leak and when you turned off you motor it would suck a little air into your engine each time. The air will build up in your water pump and cause a air block because your thermostat is lower than the water pump! The air will not go down and move into your radiator so there is no water moving through your engine! Fix is to purge the air from the water pump. He said all LS motors have the same weakness. Older motors have thermostat on top and water flows to top of radiator, not down to bottom!

Premium Member
My truck would over heat after driving only 3 miles! We had to haul it on a U- HAUL TRUCK and trailer 550 miles to our home in Michigan. I brought it to a speed shop who puts super chargers on for Berger Chevrolet and any one that wants to pump up their horsepower! His place is called CUSTOM HORSEPOWER and has a dino to fine tune your vehicle plus he has his own cars that he races! The first thing he did was to pull the exhaust manifolds and spark plugs to look inside to see if water got into the motor. He found to my surprise that no water got into the firing chambers, so that was good news that the head gaskets had not blown! He found that my lower radiator hose had a small leak and when you turned off you motor it would suck a little air into your engine each time. The air will build up in your water pump and cause a air block because your thermostat is lower than the water pump! The air will not go down and move into your radiator so there is no water moving through your engine! Fix is to purge the air from the water pump. He said all LS motors have the same weakness. Older motors have thermostat on top and water flows to top of radiator, not down to bottom!
Good News Marv, so did you get a super charger while you were there!

Premium Member
@downshifter , i don't think you understood the guy correctly.
Yes an air pockect behind tstat will prevent it from opening. I have yet to see an automotive cooling system on any car or truck pull coolant from top of radiator regardless of tstat location. This would include the LS engines.
Think off the tstat as a varaible valve. It controls the movement of coolant beyween radiator and engine. Whether it does it as coolant LEAVES the top hose as on older engines or as coolant enters the engine on lower hose as on the LS.

Hopefully someone else thst knows will chime in and agree. Like @Mike in AZ or @Topspin Or someone else.

I would bet besides low on coolant and air pocket it might have had a bad tstat which i assume they replaced which is my SOP anytime car has gotten real hot.

Premium Member
Marv
That is great news. But what about all the water that was being blown out the exhaust?
That couldn鈥檛 all be condensation?

Supporting SSR Hobbyist
@downshifter , i don't think you understood the guy correctly.
Yes an air pockect behind tstat will prevent it from opening. I have yet to see an automotive cooling system on any car or truck pull coolant from top of radiator regardless of tstat location. This would include the LS engines.
Think off the tstat as a varaible valve. It controls the movement of coolant beyween radiator and engine. Whether it does it as coolant LEAVES the top hose as on older engines or as coolant enters the engine on lower hose as on the LS.

Hopefully someone else thst knows will chime in and agree. Like @Mike in AZ or @Topspin Or someone else.

I would bet besides low on coolant and air pocket it might have had a bad tstat which i assume they replaced which is my SOP anytime car has gotten real hot.
The surge tank in the SSR is the highest point in the system. It is fed from two lines..... one from the top of the radiator (air purge line) and the second from the cylinder heads (steam vent line). The two lines are always providing positive flow into the tank and the bottom of the tank feeds out to the inlet of the water pump. The loop that is provided by that tank is designed to eliminate air from the system.
The water pump in the LS engines are self-priming and also have a positive priming loop through the heater core. That loop takes engine output water and forces it through the heater core into the water pump inlet. It is in that inlet where the heater core loop, surge tank loop and radiator water (through the thermostat) are mixed for a good, continuous supply of water into the water pump and, in turn, the engine.

I hope this can help clear a little up....

Regards,

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts