Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 2004 SSR on a Dealers lot so went over to check it out. I took it for a test drive and was not impressed.

Specifically: The Steering Wheel felt like the Power Steering was out. I really had to haul on it (they do have
Power Steering don't they ??).

Next, when I stepped on the gas, it really didn't respond like I thought a V-8 should.

Next, when I hit the brakes, it stopped, eventually !! I thought they should be better.

Now, is this what one should expect from an SSR or did I really find a dog ??

Thanks for any info.

Regards,

Richard S.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,380 Posts
I saw a 2004 SSR on a Dealers lot so went over to check it out. I took it for a test drive and was not impressed.

Specifically: The Steering Wheel felt like the Power Steering was out. I really had to haul on it (they do have
Power Steering don't they ??).

Next, when I stepped on the gas, it really didn't respond like I thought a V-8 should.

Next, when I hit the brakes, it stopped, eventually !! I thought they should be better.

Now, is this what one should expect from an SSR or did I really find a dog ??

Thanks for any info.

Regards,

Richard S.
I would say you might have found a problem child. The 2004 has a 5.3L V-8 with 300 hp so it should respond unless it has a problem. The truck is roughly 4800 pounds so performance must be weighed in that regard as well a braking. It does have power steering so all in all your description sounds like a truck I would avoid unless it was a really good price.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
The power steering is not a one finger deal like my '89 Chevy pickup, it's designed to be more effort for safety and feel.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Sounds like someone traded in a troublesome Puppy to that Dealership. My 04 has no problems accelerating and the steering is just fine. Hope You find a good one if that is what Youre looking for, but I would pass on that one, unless, like was said...it is a deal too good to pass up?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
When you stepped on the gas was it at take off or were you already rolling along down the road? If it was say rolling along at 40 and in fourth gear and stepped on it they can be sluggish at that point. Now if you stomped on it, it should have kicked down and took off.

The steering takes more effort than my wife's HHR or my Duramax. Part because of the tire size and weight of the truck.

Braking should have been firm and nothing to be alarmed about. If someone put performance brake pads on it and did not break them in right they can be a little iffy when you first go to stop with them. Once they heat up they should be more like normal.

Just some thoughts of what could be going on with it.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
2004's are not a rocket. 300hp with 3:73 gears pushing a 5000 pound hog down the road leaves a little to be desired. Why do you think Chevy put the LS2 in the '05's and 06's? With that said, a rear end gear swap and a performance tune can make a boat load of difference. They become quite fun with those simple updates. And a few other tweaks can add even more to the enjoyment.

Steering... yup, they're heavy all right. When I bought mine I asked the dealer to check out the power steering just to be sure. All was ok and once I got used to it, I kinda like it!

Brakes... again, 5000 pounds. enuf said. Upgraded brakes can be added if you feel the need.

Remember, a stock '03 or '04 is basically a crusier, not a real hot rod. But for a few extra $$ you can make an '03 or '04 lots of fun. Or, pay the extra for an '05 or '06 and get the stock 390 hp.

Just my $.02

wizzr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts