Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I feel pricing on the SSR is getting close to what I'm willing to pay. :lurk However; reading about all the problems SSR owners are having I'm having second thoughts. I have a 2001 SLK320 that has no problems whatsoever. The roof works flawlessly and doesn't rattle, it doesn't overheat, transmission works great, and the A/C gets really cold. But, on the other hand I really love the SSR. So maybe you current owners can help me with a few questions.

1.) How many of you have experienced overheating? I live in Texas where it can get really hot.
2.) How many have had trouble with the roof not working properly or rattling?
3.) How many have had trouble with the transmission?
4.) Does the A/C cool well in hot climates?
5.) Given all the problems, would you buy another SSR?

I hope you SSR owners can help me with my decision. I would really hate trading in a perfectly good SLK320 only to get an SSR that's in the shop all the time. Thanks for any help ya'll can give me. :flag

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
If you want perfect stick with what you have already. There are known problems but not everyone has the same ones.
I live in Texas and haven't experienced any overheating. The Top saga is still continuing, and I had the drive shaft replaced at 5000miles. But I love my truck and would buy it all over knowing what I know now.
Come meet some of us SSR owners at the Texas Motor Speedway Aug28 at the car show.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
1. Blown Fan Fuse, no failures since replaced.
2. none
3. none
4. none
5. Only if they made a Panel SSR. with a spare tire, till then Just keep the 1 I have.

RickSSR :cool

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
problems

Even with all the problems I've had, I would buy a 2005, manual, aqua blur SSR if I had a spare 50k.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Problems

Maybe I'm too much of a "realist", but when you buy a newly designed vehicle (first of its kind), I think you need to expect some issues. If you want total perfection and reliability....go with a Lexus, not an SSR.

If you want individuality, a high "wow" and "fun" factor, a ride that takes you back to the "good ole days", and just pure open air excitement....buy the SSR.

I've always took the risk to be the "first on the block" with the new toys (1997 C5 Corvette, 2001 Z06 Corvette, 2003 Hummer H2, 2003 SSR, etc. and have always experienced some sort of "issues"..............but the fun always outweighed the headaches.

Again, if you want pure reliability, quality and luxury.........go for the Lexus and miss all the fun.

This is truly a toy for big boys and girls. Hope this helps your choice. Drive Safe.

CARNUT

·
Registered
277 Posts
SLK320SSR said:
Well I feel pricing on the SSR is getting close to what I'm willing to pay. :lurk However; reading about all the problems SSR owners are having I'm having second thoughts. I have a 2001 SLK320 that has no problems whatsoever. The roof works flawlessly and doesn't rattle, it doesn't overheat, transmission works great, and the A/C gets really cold. But, on the other hand I really love the SSR. So maybe you current owners can help me with a few questions.

1.) How many of you have experienced overheating? I live in Texas where it can get really hot.

I hope you SSR owners can help me with my decision. I would really hate trading in a perfectly good SLK320 only to get an SSR that's in the shop all the time. Thanks for any help ya'll can give me. :flag
I've only 3,400 miles on my SSR so it's a bit early to say, "it's a trouble free truck". I live in Southern Cal and it gets hot, especially idling along on the freeway. I've made two trips to Vegas in temperatures exceeding 100 degrees and the SSR and I stayed cool. I've had none of the roof issues I've read in the threads. I've stopped the roof near the closed position countless times during shows and was able close/open it when I was ready to leave. I'll wait to pass judgement on my SSR after I've put on 50,000 miles, but at the rate I'm going it could take many years. For now, it's looks can't be beat, it's an attention getter and that is most of the fun. I didn't buy the SSR because I needed transportation, I bought it for exactly what it is, an overpriced attention getter, and I'd buy it again.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Some more answers

1. No problem overheating and I'm in Houston
2. Couple of roof problems - I expected them and they fixed 'em.
3. No tranny issues
4. A/C is a little funky, but all of them are since freon went away. Drove to South Lousiana and back this week and froze my a$$ off unless I turned it down.
5. If I were possessed of unlimited resources (and I'm definitely not) I would not only buy another one - I 'd buy you one. Come see us at Topcats.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also own 98 SLK

I thought the SLK was cool, and it is built well, but we always drive the SSR. Wifes car has a complex now, just driven to work. I have 7200 miles never been back to dealer, works perfect. Driven to las Vegas,Reno for hot August nights, no problems. I plan on selling SLK for 500SL but the new slk ag looks pretty nice. The SSR is by far the coolest car on the road.
Ted :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ditto

CARNUT hit it on the head. When u play with the Big Toys it's an ego/enjoyment thing. :thumbs

U either enjoy the crap outta it or u go on living a dreadful, boring life 4EVER!!!! :yawn :yawn :yawn

:cool

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
CARNUT, I could not have said it better. GM will never recoup the costs they have engineered into this vehicle. Thank Rick Wagner from GM for this great vechicle.

Scott 0168 :thumbs

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts

Temp does run warm on this critter, but it does not seem to overheat (NorCal central valley temps 100+).

My roof has had several problems but most were due to the improper installation of replacement tonneau cover hinge brackets. I have a rattle in the roof and GM is starting to have the local service dept state "you should expect some rattles with a hard top vehicle". Then I guess on the days it doesn't rattle I'm "lucky"! :nono

I currently have a 1st-to-2nd gear shifting problem (slipping a bit). Yet to be determined what they'll do to fix this. Drive shaft noises are present. Waiting on release of "fixed drive shaft" to resolve "tink" noise issues.

Works ok, not great, but ok. Blower motor for HVAC in the 03/04 SSR has a known problem regarding making noises on setting 2 (and on setting 1 while you rev up the engine RPMs).

I may be trading in my 03 on an 05 just to get rid of some of these problems. I would suggest buying an 05.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,334 Posts
I lusted after an SSR for years before I finally was able to buy the one I wanted. I bought it strictly as a weekend toy and fully expected a few "quirks"! This truck has exceeded my expectations in many areas - especially the "smiles per mile" factor! I would buy another one in an instant if funds were not a factor.

In all honesty, I have mixed emotions about the SSR "not selling well", being "overpriced", "sitting on lots", etc, etc, etc. I am concerned that GM having taken the bold step to build the SSR will again be timid about fringe products if the SSR is not a sales success, but on the other hand, I really don't want everyone and their step sister owning one either!

I guess I'm just never completely happy (lol) . . .

Blast

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would love to buy the 05 Aqua Blurrrrr......mmmmm. My biggest and still continuing problem is with the top getting out of adjustment but so what! I love this truck more than any vehicle I have ever had! I would do it again, and again, and again......Ed

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have had the truck since March. With over 12,000 miles it has never gone back to see the dealer. I do get some roof rattles now and then but living in New England with a pothole every five feet :mad you get rattles in every vehicle. I have not had any problems with the roof timing out. I also have not had any problems with the tranny. If I had it to do over again would I buy another? I reserve judgement on that until after the New England winter. I am curious to see how it will handle ibn the snow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had mine at the dealer the other day for the roof rattle. They said it was the piece that the roof latch goes into which is mounted on the top of the windshield. That piece is loose and you can move it back and forth in its place. The piece on the passenger side is a tight fit. They said that side needs to be replaced and it is backordered from GM. Probably a common problem and many need to be replaced. :nono

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
My top hasn,t worked properly for about six months but have been affraid to take to the dealer. Non of the dealers around me have any idea about anything on the SSR . I finally took it to a local dealer that we by or GM parts from because one of the parts salesman told me that they had sent a person to school to repair SSR and CAD tops. Thats when the problems begain.

After sitting at the dealer for two days they told me that somehow i had warped the roof cover and that it would not be under warranty. I explained to him that it was bent from getting caught trying to open but he refused to beleive that . After about an hour of arguing with the service manger and having my wife bring her SSR down to show them how there are suppose to work i finally got him to contact the GM rep for California.

They were told that there was a problem with the tops and to repair whatever was needed to solve the problem. What really bothers now is that i had to go threw all that when the employee was had gone to GM for training and had no clue about the problems with the top.

:rant :banghead

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reply's

Thanks a lot for all your input. :thumbs You've helped alot. I've always loved the SSR, but some of the posted problems had me worried. But after reading your posts I think I'll enjoy owning an SSR more than owning the SLK320. Scott 0168 to answer your question an SLK320 is a retractable hardtop convertable built by Mercedes-Benz, and it's very small. I enjoy the hard top convertable on my SLK320, however; when you have a trunk full of stuff you can't put the top down :mad . With the SSR that is not a problem ;) . With the SLK320 I can't even put a towing hitch on it :cuss. And even though the SSR can only tow 2500 lbs. at least it can tow that much :cool . And ya'll are right about a first run vehicle. There are bound to be problems at first, but as they continue production they should continually work out all the bugs and issue TSB's to repair them. I'm glad ya'll are enjoying your SSR's and I too will soon be a fellow SSR owner. Again, you've been a great help :lurk :seeya :flag

P.S. Love this Webb Site, thanks Troy. Great Job everyone! :) Without all the member participation this site would be dead like the other SSR Webb sites. That's not meant to slam the other sites, but to praise all of you for your willingness to share your experiences, trials and tribulations. Godspeed :angel

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Slk

I had th opportunity to meet David Carr - the Houston Texans quarterback - about two months ago - he drives a black SLK320 - after talking to him for a bit - he drove out of the parking lot and put the top down at the gate. Wish I'd had the SSR with me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts