Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm totally new to the SSR. Just bought my very 1st one today. I live just north of KC,Mo. and I will be taking the SSR to my
Arizona home in a few weeks. It's new home will be Green Valley, Az. (Just a few miles south of Tucson). It's a silver/black 2006 and as you all know.......life is an adventure, so we'll be driving it to Az.
Is there anything I should be aware of or are there any problems most of you incur on long road trips? We plan to break the trip up into 3 6-7
hour drive sessions but wanted to know what to expect from the folks that really know.
Thanks up front for the help............Rick714gv

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Hey Rick

Welcome to one of the best sites around. You live in St Joe, Mo?? I'm from west of St Joe 40 miles. It would be good to know who owned your 06 R. Check out the vehicle just like you would for any other trip. Would especially look at the tires. I'm sure at lot of other folks much more qualified than I can be of help.

There is a great group of R lovers in the KC area. Am sure your name will be added to the list.

John
Hiawatha, Ks

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Welcome, Rick!

As long as everything is in good working order, fluids filled, good tires, etc, you should be good!

Now that is not to say that the unexpected gremlin can't pop up, but two of us drove from Portland, OR, to Ogden, UT, to Burlington, CO, to Arlington, TX, over 3 days at the beginning of October for the Texas Rally without issue.

I would check out the weather forecast to determine your route. Stay in clean weather and you should be fine!

I would start a thread on here documenting your route as there will be Fanatics along the way to help you out should you encounter any problems!

Take care,
David :blur:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,195 Posts
@Rick714gv---Like the others say, just check it like any other vehicle you would buy, read the post on here and ENJOY!! AND--Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Hey Rick

Welcome to one of the best sites around. You live in St Joe, Mo?? I'm from west of St Joe 40 miles. It would be good to know who owned your 06 R. Check out the vehicle just like you would for any other trip. Would especially look at the tires. I'm sure at lot of other folks much more qualified than I can be of help.

There is a great group of R lovers in the KC area. Am sure your name will be added to the list.

John
Hiawatha, Ks
John - Rick bought John Garner's (JCSSR) SSR from Linda.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,187 Posts
Rick, if you just bought your black and silver 06 from the KC area it may have been John Garner's truck, If so it was well taken care of.

Anyhow, just enjoy the ride. My wife drives mine all the time in the KC area. I rarely get to see it or drive it. Hopefully soon I will though.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
you have a good truck with no problems. Will give you no problems on your trip. Message me sometime, I too live in St Joe. We have 2 ssrs and get together with the ssr group in KC

Reactions: CruDawg

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Welcome to the best forum, people and trucks.

Picked my SSR up in Kentucky and proceeded to drive it home to Southern California about 2300 miles, the truck ran like a top no issues what so ever other than it ran 210+ degrees through the desert.

Along the way we stopped at the Corvette museum, had lunch with several groups of SSR Fanatics along the way, made a stopped in AZ to meet up with Mike of Simple-Engineering and he installed my new fan , which dropped the SSR's temp to about 190 degrees the rest of the way back to So Cal.

As others have mentioned, post your route and dates and you will most likely meet some friends along the way.

Enjoy your Permagrin.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
That should be a nice truck.

Check the fluids and tires and take off. I drove mine back to Nebraska from Mass. It is a great way to get to know your vehicles.

Just be careful with the other drivers.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,869 Posts
A big hearty welcome from Sunny Sturgis South Dakota,. Picked ours up from Spring Texas and drove it back to South Dakota. 1350 miles and the last 250 was in white out conditions. Spent three days cleaning it when i got home. Performed flawlessly. Have a great trip.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,997 Posts
Welcome to the family. John was well liked and he was a great steward of that truck. I'm sure he would be happy to see it getting a new, loving home.

Check the fluids, air the tires and put a full tank of gas in it....... And go.

Get off the interstate when you can and take the roads less traveled. You'll love it.

Live is an adventure...... Take this as a new chapter in the book....

We are all here covering you. If you have any problems on the road or any questions, you can call me on my cell. 480-225-2123

Mike

·
Premium Member
19,614 Posts
I knew it Mike you really wanted a yellow like the avatar picture you have now:grin2:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd say get the truck manual out and read it cover to cover to familiarize yourself with all the trucks goodies

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the best forum, people and trucks.

Picked my SSR up in Kentucky and proceeded to drive it home to Southern California about 2300 miles, the truck ran like a top no issues what so ever other than it ran 210+ degrees through the desert.

Along the way we stopped at the Corvette museum, had lunch with several groups of SSR Fanatics along the way, made a stopped in AZ to meet up with Mike of Simple-Engineering and he installed my new fan , which dropped the SSR's temp to about 190 degrees the rest of the way back to So Cal.

As others have mentioned, post your route and dates and you will most likely meet some friends along the way.

Enjoy your Permagrin.
:smile2:
Same here. Wife and I flew to Las Vegas about 3 weeks ago, picked up our (new) 2005 and headed back 2430 miles to east coast of No. Carolina. No problems with temp along the whole trip as we already had the new fan setup mentioned.

P.S. If you start out in the morning on your trip before daylight, that little "defog" light on the heater controls will be lit up. I thought that was a (problem), but apparently it is always on and not noticeable during daylight.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I just had a 3k trip texas to east coast great time just check any other trip enjoy the do some road racing along the keep it fun lol let us know how it goes and welcome from northeast texas

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,238 Posts
A HUGE Congrats and Welcome, Rick . . . from Southern Arizona.

My advice . . . LEISURELY head South until you reach I-10 then West. Once you reach Tucson, head South on I-19, then VOILA . . . Green Valley.

Many years ago when I "adopted" The Doophus, the trip home from Southern Illinois (1600 miles and 4 plus days) was an "experience to remember" as well as a great way to "get acquainted."

Good Luck and ENJOY.

! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers !

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
There are SSR Fanatics all over the country that will drop everything and lend a hand to help/rescue another fanatic if needed. I think I've got you covered through southern New Mexico.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts