Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SSR runs lots hotter than any other Chevy I have owned. I am in the SF Bay area and it was in the 90s yesterday, it was to the 3 mark. I took it to the dealer and they said it is OK for it to be that hot.

At idle or in traffic jams, it always pegs past the 0 of 210, the fan does not kick on.

Anyone else with this experience?

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
It's fine to run at that temp. Thae fans probably come on the same as many of the other GM vehicles and does.nt come on till 230 degress. I also live in the SF bayarea and was wondering what dealer you took yours to.

·
Registered
277 Posts
onessr said:
My SSR runs lots hotter than any other Chevy I have owned. I am in the SF Bay area and it was in the 90s yesterday, it was to the 3 mark. I took it to the dealer and they said it is OK for it to be that hot.

At idle or in traffic jams, it always pegs past the 0 of 210, the fan does not kick on.

Anyone else with this experience?
I've been a little concerned with the temp gage also. I have an 1982 350 El Camino and it runs cold all the time. My SSR has hit the 230 mark while idling along, but seems to drop back to 220 fast. Book says don't panic until 260, but I won't let it get that far and will discuss the temperature when I take it in for service.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Engine running hot

I thought mine was running hot also, so I called my dealer and they checked with Chevrolet and they said that the low speed fan kicks on at 220 and the hi speed fan kicks on at 235. Those might not be the exact numbers but they're real close. It seems hot to me but if might have something to do with emissions. Running hotter to run cleaner.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Yesterday, while in bumper to bumper traffic for 10 minutes, "engine overheated" code came on, pull over let it cool off for 20 minutes. Seems like a fan failure, not coming on at all. Dropping it off to Dealer Tuesday.

Stay tuned.....RickSSR

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,333 Posts
I still have less than 100 miles on my SSR, but so far the temp gauge has been a source of concern for me also. I live where it can get 115 in the summer and you simply can't afford to have a vehicle that "runs on the edge" temp wise. I will most likely switch to a 180 degree failsafe thermistat before it gets too warm here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Water Wetter

I have the same problem, especially when I am towing my Baby Grand... I added some Water Wetter by Redline and that has helped quite a bit. Still gets a little above 210 but not above 240.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
running hot

i was reading online about the running hot problem, & was referred to a product called water wetter by redline. said to be good stuff. have not tried it yet, but will soon.

let me know how it works.

thanks.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Sounds good, saw it for sale at Jeg's and Summit's website.
Will try it out, picked up my SSR from the Dealer today, blown fan fuse.
The circuit and the fan tested ok. Drove 20 miles in city this afternoon, temperature gauge never when over "210". It was 86 degrees this afterrnoon.

Stay Tuned........:cool

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Running Hot

I had the same problem when in stop and go traffic. Took to dealer, he said was normal. Not sure I like it getting that hot in the Tx heat!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what do you think about setting up a SSR Club out here in Southern Ca?
I am here in Yorba Linda.
Let me know.
purplessr

·
Registered
181 Posts
Water Wetter Problems.

Before you decide to put the Water Wetter in your cooling systems you might want to read some of the comments from people who have used it in their autos and then had major "sludging" problems in their cooling systems. I was reading these comments at the www.bobistheoilguy.com site under the forums section in the cooling system and additives category. There's about 14 letters from people who have tried the Water Wetter and some have had problems especially with motors, heads, and radiators that are aluminum and that's what the SSR has. I have no first hand experience with this product so I'm not saying it is good or bad. Just thought these threads from actual users of this product might be beneficial to you before you decide to put it your SSR.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,333 Posts
I hesitated to bring this up in this forum because this info is about 3 years dated, BUT, Water Wetter was originally designed to be added to pure water used in the cooling systems of race cars. Nothing has more cooling capacity per ounce than pure water, but issues like corrosion/oxidation of dissimilar metals, water pump lubrication, etc., were always problems. Water Wetter was (and still is) the answer. However, 3 years ago, there were some very serious questions regarding the compatibility of Water Wetter with the extended life type coolants (i.e. "Dexcool" and others). I don't know if this issue was ever put to rest, because the chemical interactions of the fluids along with gasket materials, different metals, etc. is actually quite complex.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wetter the Better?

www.bobistheoilguy.com site made good reading! Since I have already added RLWW to my system (1 bottle), I'll keep an eye on it and we'll see what happens. Judging from what I read, it won't take long if something is going to go south...

I, for one, appreciate the insight. The more of us that are out there looking for solutions and the problems that some of these solutions cause the better.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A buddy of mine put water wetter in his system and it caused problems with the level sensor in the overflow tank of his corvette. I am still not sold on this stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Water Wetter

I put water wetter in a C5 for the Florida weather and it "sludged" up the radiator. Had to flush and replace Dexcool. I'm staying clear of it. Remember, some engines are made to operate at top efficiency with higher temperatures. Although this is now an aluminum block engine that typically runs hotter, the engine and coolant design has been around for many years and properly tested. I wouldn't get overly concerned if your needle runs a bit hot.......(not in the red, just hot). Just my experience with Water Wetter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
NHTSA Item Number: 10006189

I could not find any additional info on this :mad

Make : CHEVROLET Model : SSR Year : 2004
Service Bulletin Num : 01755 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10006189
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Summary:
5.3LM4 ENGINE - OVERHEATING.*MR

·
Registered
222 Posts
Kool down..

Guys....remember u hav a totally ALUMINUM engine. They hav a tendency 2 run 20-30 degress hotter.

Also.....u r ALL under warranty. :rolleyes: Mayb if it takes a dump we
get 6.0 motors!! :lol

:cool

1 - 20 of 30 Posts