Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a problem with their auto volume control?

I took mine back to the dealer and they replaced a noise compensation unit but it did not correct the problem.

I have to turn the volume down at every stop street.

Also the rear speakers seem quite weak, all treble no bass.

Not sure if that is the Bose intent or not.

If it is, I'm not impressed.

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks.

Al

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bose Radio

Hi Al, my auto volume has not worked since I got my truck. Have not had it in to the dealer yet so can't help there. My radio seems to have to much base as I have to turn the Base all the way down so I don't get vibrated out or the door panels rattle off. Not sure if that is normal or what.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Bass normal?

I have the same experience with the excessive bass on my Bose system. I run the base just left of center to keep from booming me out. I'll bet we are "normal" there.

The auto volume feature has been talked about in earlier threads. The normal function of the radio is to take an "auto volume" step function when the top is put down, but not be speed sensitive like my Tahoe. They must have used up all the range in the auto volume function with the single step change for the top down.

I would welcome some GM programming input here..... GM / LCC Are you listening????

Mike

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Base Down

cliff said:
Hi Al, my auto volume has not worked since I got my truck. Have not had it in to the dealer yet so can't help there. My radio seems to have to much base as I have to turn the Base all the way down so I don't get vibrated out or the door panels rattle off. Not sure if that is normal or what.

Same here-as long as the base is turned down the stero sounds better. To much virbration in the door panels if it's up to high.

At the LCC -I was told that the stero systems in the 03 and 04 were a huge problem with virbations, base and etc. After speaking to one of the LLC Reps. He told me that they have taken our complaints and information to improve the 05's and up. There is no fix for the 03 and 04's he had complained about the stero systems himself after driving both years (03 and 04 ) for 1 year each. I complained about the stero system to him all we can do is sit back and see if GM will offer a fix for it.
He said "For a Bose Systems is should be and sound a lot better".

I had already had one of my speakers replaced as I thought it was blown. He said it wasn't blown thats just how this systems sounds and no fix for it. Well he was right-even having the speaker replaced it still sounds the same.

F

·
0 Posts
Similar Problem

I have had my 2005 in to the dealer three times in the last 2.5 months...no success with their repairs. :mad I will be returning my SSR to them in the next week or two. Regardless, the event is always an overnighter, so I'm in no hurry to be without my truck. :boxing

Will let all know the resuts of my next dealer adventure :confused

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dynomatted

Hey all. The Bose "bad vibrations" were bugging the hell out of me too. Bought a 2 door only kit of Dynomat ($96.00) at Best Buy and had the Chevy dealer install it. The service manager talked GM into doing the labor under warranty, but GM balked at paying for the kit, since it was "not a GM authorized product". After installation I'd say the system sounds 200% better! An excellant investment imo, but something GM should have included from the factory :nono . R

·
Registered
166 Posts
Top down

Hell.........................drove it thru 5 states brand new and the stereo kicked @## if its tooooo loud your tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo damn old and auto volume does not work compensate by triple digit speed ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh aint life great complain to the undertaker LMAO

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
My exp

So you only have 2 small mid speakers behind the seats. I replaced mine with 2 10" subs (because I like bass and the door rattlers were just killing me). And since the other speakers are by and pointing to your feet (if you only had ears on your feet :lol ) you have to crank the volume up just to begin hearing anything.

The auto volume....from what I can gather is that there is actually a microphone under the dash on the drivers side which will increase the volume when cabin noise increases. I have been told my my dealer that my auto volume is working correctly BUT I cannot detect a change in volume with speed or noise level changes. The radio does get louder when you put your top down, but this is not related to the auto volume button on the radio.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
looking4_an_ssr said:
So you only have 2 small mid speakers behind the seats. I replaced mine with 2 10" subs (because I like bass and the door rattlers were just killing me). And since the other speakers are by and pointing to your feet (if you only had ears on your feet :lol ) you have to crank the volume up just to begin hearing anything.

The auto volume....from what I can gather is that there is actually a microphone under the dash on the drivers side which will increase the volume when cabin noise increases. I have been told my my dealer that my auto volume is working correctly BUT I cannot detect a change in volume with speed or noise level changes. The radio does get louder when you put your top down, but this is not related to the auto volume button on the radio.
When you installed the 2 subs, did you add an amp? If not, how much of a difference did it make?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Headrest Speakers

Has anyone found a way to incorporate the small headrest mounted speakers that are now showing up on some production vehicles (not Chevrolet)???? I have not looked for them, but there must be an application from somewhere that could be fitted and look good.

I think this might be a good add on for each headrest to have the "rear" speakers plumbed to, instead of the ones buried behind the seats.

Top down coming to work today. Really starts off the week nicely.

Mike

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
big-daddy said:
When you installed the 2 subs, did you add an amp? If not, how much of a difference did it make?

I did add an amp and I'm VERY happy with the bass now :lol . There are lots of threads here which other people also discuss how they solved the "stereo problem". Do a search and filter through the various ideas....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Subwoofers

Any idea on how to fit 1 or 2 10's behind the seats? what did you do for a box etc? The Bose system is disapointing at best....recommendations please! It should sound as good as it LOOKS! :) :flag

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jetcop20 said:
Hell.........................drove it thru 5 states brand new and the stereo kicked @## if its tooooo loud your tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo damn old and auto volume does not work compensate by triple digit speed ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh aint life great complain to the undertaker LMAO
:agree :agree :agree

I

·
0 Posts
i dont like my noise either. i thought about replacing the door speakers with something that handles more power so that might take out some of the crap i hear in it everyday lol!

how do u fit 10's behind the seats! show pics!

·
Registered
96 Posts
There's no problem with your stereo system. Just remove it and toss it in the trash. No problem.

Then install a real stereo system with component speakers, amp, and subwoofer.

The GM stuff is a piece of crap (like most factory systems) I love the plastic tweeters and the speakers behind the seats, what a joke.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The first time I had problems with the radio volume control was about two months ago. Then a few other problems started showing up one at a time ( door locks, dash lights, etc.). Dealer found out it was the BCM (Body Control Module). Repalacement of the BCM fixed all.

Then, I was in a rush the other day and just jumped in and started it up to go. I noticed the volume was all out of wack again and thought it is BCM time again.

I did think about not letting the system go though its "start-up" and wondered if I needed to reboot the radio, maybe it had been dropped from the loop. I pulled the fuse for the radio (#41 I think). When I put in back in the radio went through more clicks, whizs and oh boys, surprised me! Everything is back to working again.

It might work for you, give it a try. :thumbs

Skip

B

·
0 Posts
IronMedic said:
i dont like my noise either. i thought about replacing the door speakers with something that handles more power so that might take out some of the crap i hear in it everyday lol!

how do u fit 10's behind the seats! show pics!
Check some of my earlier posts with pictures 10" sub behind seat in sealed box with 250watt zapp amp. each door 9" midrange and 4" tweeter in sealed boxes. each door with its own 250w zapp amp kenwood touch screen..... awesume. It will deffinently wake you up. cranked it about 1/2 volume at SSR homecoming in Lansing. I think a few would agree. It can make your eye balls bounce...... but thats a little too loud...... and it is clear, not all distorted out. Everything is dynomatted including the floreboard. It all looks stock except for the head unit. :cool :thumbs :seeya

I

·
0 Posts
yeah i had the kenwood DDX 7017 touchscreen in my WRX but i sold it when i got rid of the car. i thought about putting it in my SSR but i dont want to make my truck a target for thieves.

i saw your photo gallery but couldnt figure out completely how u installed the woofer. i take it u have a thread that is more detailed than the pics u have in your gallery?

B

·
0 Posts
IronMedic said:
yeah i had the kenwood DDX 7017 touchscreen in my WRX but i sold it when i got rid of the car. i thought about putting it in my SSR but i dont want to make my truck a target for thieves.

i saw your photo gallery but couldnt figure out completely how u installed the woofer. i take it u have a thread that is more detailed than the pics u have in your gallery?
Yes. They took out the box that was there. relocated things. built the the box you see in the pictures in 2 pieces so it would fit in the hole where the factory box was. used the holes already there in the back wall for the sub to release tention into the cab of :ssr put the 2 pieces together and dynomatted and sealed box. then they carpeted the outside of box. most don't notice it's not the factory box. It does great. It does real well, Sound is very clear at 130 mph with top down. the box is secured in the same places as the factory box. :thumbs :seeya

in 1 picture you can see the bose amp secured to the florr on the left side that was in the factoy box :cool

1 - 20 of 29 Posts