Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dixon's Monster SSR

Let me say 2 all u doubters out there in regards 2 Ron's SSR. IT IS A REAL BEAR!!!! :thumbs :thumbs

I drove that monster n I can attest that EVERYTHING he says that he has done 2 that SSR, is the TRUTH. C pics below.

It runs like a scalded rabbit....definitely 0-60 in 5 secs n pulls all thru the power range. Really impressive!!!! :thumbs NO OVER HEATING PROBLEM.

He has done his homework n has the results 2 prove it. :thumbs

:cool

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
04Z16 said:
On the contrary to electric water pumps, corvette owners have run them for a long time. They do increase horsepower and the amount of wiring needed is minimum. The great thing is you can run the pump after shutdown plus you can keep a more constant flow of water through the engine unlike a mechanical pump which varies output with engine speed.

The Meziere water pump isn't all that. Some of the guys on the ls1 forums have lost stroker engines with the Meziere. The Meziere just doesn't flow that well, the one of the rear cylinders can overheat big time, eventually resulting in engine failure. On stock engines it may be enough, but I wouldn't mess with it. I'll stick with mechanical pumps for now. The LS2 pumps is supposed to be better, and the Evans ported LS1 pump is supposed to be better too. For the ultimate coolant setup, use one of these pumps along with the Evans coolant. The Evans coolant spreads over surfaces better, and doesn't boil, so it doesn't get the type of hot spots that cause detonation.

These engines just run hot, and there's not much you can do to force it under 200F in city traffic. In my '98 C5 I have a big Dewitt's radiator with integral oil cooler and I also modded the thermostat to open at lower, much lower, temps. Without reprogramming the fans, city traffic temps were the same as they were before. On highway drives the temps could get down as low as 135F. Anyway, I reprogrammed the 1st fan to kick in at 185F and the 2nd fan at 200F. Now that it's getting cooler around here the fans won't have to work very hard, but before next summer I'll get a vented hood and reprogram the fans to kick in later. I'll also be installing the Katech ported oil pump and probably the LS2 water pump and Evans coolant, but even with all that, I really don't ever expect to see city temps below 200F without the fans working overtime.

Good luck if y'all want to try this, but here's what the bill will look like:
Dewitt's radiator w/oil cooler: $1300
Lower temp thermostat: $80
HPTuners: $500
LS2 water pump: ~$200
Evans coolant: $100
ACP C5R hood: $1300
Ported oil pumps: $200

That's $3680 for everything without labor. I'm $1900 into it so far. How far do you want to go?

Eugene

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
Over Heating cont.

HI Group,

I received a Lotus Notes from someone within GM last week. I was asked to share with you these helpful points regarding overheating issues that some on here seem to be experiencing with their SSRs..

Marc,

Been reading the SSR web notes and I have a couple of thoughts to share.

1.) They do run hot and don't worry if its in the RED unless its there for a long time.
2.) Yes they do cool faster when it's hotter if you go faster.
3.) The extra foam for the 05 - 6.0 liter around the radiator/ inlet has nothing to do with cooling but is for engine performance. As we don't want outside air contamination (hotter) from the engine compartment.

Regards,

I wanted to post this information here for everyone that is using this thread to see.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
3.) The extra foam for the 05 - 6.0 liter around the radiator/ inlet has nothing to do with cooling but is for engine performance. As we don't want outside air contamination (hotter) from the engine compartment.
Hi Mark, Sorry to be a bit dense but I had trouble reading the above.

Is it saying that the foam is to keep the engine intake from sucking hot air from the engine compartment?

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
beer100 said:
Hi Mark, Sorry to be a bit dense but I had trouble reading the above.

Is it saying that the foam is to keep the engine intake from sucking hot air from the engine compartment?
HI beer,

Sorry for the delay to your question, I was out of town for the weekend and I just saw this thread now. :nodno

As you know I was relaying this information to everyone on the SSR forum. However, I do think you are correct in your comments above... I believe that is the purpose/ function of the foam to be able to only allow air from outside the engine compartment to be channeled through and not be contaminated by the hotter air inside the engine compartment.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
One last (and hopefully simple) question on this thread....

Has ANYONE found a way to have the fans turn on earlier?

Although I know that the GM engineers have told us to "ignore" the heat as the newer motors are designed to run hotter, but I have to agree with BlastfromPast,
Make no mistake about it - heat is the enemy of engine/transmission durability.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Suggestion

Buffy said:
Any suggestions?
Here's 1 ......Move on!!!! :) It's been beat 2 death here. Unless ur drivin'r in the desert daily :confused ...there shud b no problems unless u blow a fuse. :mad

Also, I'm assuming that u purchased it new from a reputable :rolleyes: dealer who has the info n TSB's. If it's under warranty they'll cvr it. :thumbs

Relax n enjoy....... :cool

·
Registered
133 Posts
Replaced radiator overfill tank

My 2004 was running from 210 to 235 to 265 back to 225 etc. I brought it to the dealer and they found that the radiator overfill tank was not holding pressure as the cap was stripped. The whole tank was replaced and now the car runs much cooler and never over 210 as of yet.

Perhaps this is a cause in other peoples ssr's running hot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't think so, during hot weather idle conditions for some length of time the low speed fan first kicks in at 226 then the high speed portion kicks in at 235 at which time it should start cooling off (with the A/C off). 210 is normal MOST of the time.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
ssr17of25 said:
Here's 1 ......Move on!!!! :) It's been beat 2 death here. Unless ur drivin'r in the desert daily :confused ...there shud b no problems unless u blow a fuse. :mad

Also, I'm assuming that u purchased it new from a reputable :rolleyes: dealer who has the info n TSB's. If it's under warranty they'll cvr it. :thumbs

Relax n enjoy....... :cool

SSR17OF25,

I have waited a few days before replying to your posting to make sure I didn't say anything rash, or inappropriate.

Below is the definition of a forum.

fo·rum [fáwr?m] (plural fo·rums or fora [fáwr?]) noun
1. A place to express yourself: a medium, for example, a magazine or newspaper, in which the public may debate an issue or express opinions
2. Meeting for discussion: a meeting to discuss matters of general interest
3. HISTORY public square in Roman cities: a public square or marketplace in ancient Roman cities where business was conducted and the law courts were situated
4. LAW law court: a law court or tribunal
5. COMPUTING Internet discussion group: an Internet discussion group for participants with common interests

I also belong to a Harley-Davidson forum and I am very active on it too. One of the biggest advantages of a forum is the ability to exchange ideas, tips or tricks, or technical issues that the dealer (or independent service person) cannot put their finger on. It works with "Harley stuff" and I was hoping it would work for SSR's too.

When I have a technical question about my Harley, such as controlling heat of the engine (yes, it gets hot in traffic too), I received suggestions such as oil coolers, synthetic oil, etc. I have never received a message like "MOVE ON, it gets hot, don't worry about it!" from these crusty old Harley riders. Why? Because we are all interested in improving our scooters and there is nothing like a public brainstorming vehicle to gather ideas and make an intellegent decision on what or what not to do.

As you can see, I just asked one simple question, "Has ANYONE found a way to have the fans turn on earlier?"

I didn't want to further "beat 2 death" this topic, I just wanted a simple answer as to the fan control. - Is it mechanical or can it be modified via the OBDII port? Then, I can make the decision as to my course of action.

I was on a thread on this forum on CUP HOLDERS that lasted for weeks and it was quiet helpful in making my decision to order an additional cup holder for my SSR. If someone would have said, "Move on! Get used to one cup holder!" or something like that, how do you think that would have made me, or the other people on that thread feel? Immediately, I would have felt that if my questions didn't match the climate of the forum, then I'd better just sit here are read the threads and not post anything. Too bad, because there are a lot of new and exciting ideas that would be stifled.

Now, I don't want to start a feud with a fellow SSR lover, because maybe you were just having a bad day when you read my post, or maybe you didn't like it. If you were having a bad day, then let's just forget it and let bygones be bygones. If you didn't like it, then I would like to respectfully suggest that you just hit the "Back" key and move onto the next topic.

Thanks to the rest of the forum members for allowing me to use the thread to vent a little.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice job Buffy... this is a place to learn and enjoy!!!!

So what was the general consensus on the second cup holder (since I missed that thread)?

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Bill Bogert said:
Nice job Buffy... this is a place to learn and enjoy!!!!

So what was the general consensus on the second cup holder (since I missed that thread)?
If you were serious about the cup holder thread.............. CLICK HERE

·
Registered
180 Posts
Reprogramming the fans.

Buffy, well put! Now to your question about reprogramming the fans, take a look at ron dickson on post #36 and my question on post # 39. You can see he has never answered my question. And Yes, it can be modified via the OBD II port. You might try the private message route. :flag

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
WOW, Look at This!

Look like 2,500 + people have viewed this thread. I guess we are all are concerned about temps, huh?

Attachments

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Maybe we all won't have any temp issues but we will probably run into someone who will and I read every post The Good, The Bad and The Ugly so I can be as informed as possible.
I think each of us will have a problem unique to us only. I wouldn' t know if my overfill cap is stripped or not but at least I can check that out first before driving into the dealer with us all scratching our heads. I love this site and my SSR I am thankful for each of your opinions and knowledge. Thanks :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dear Buffy(???)

Dear Buffy, :eek

Sorry 4 the delay in answering ur retort 2 my post but duty called. I’m sorry if I hurt ur delicate feelin’s. :nopity Pls accept my apology BUT there r a few things u shud know if what u say is true n u belong 2 the Harley form n r very active on same. :rolleyes:

1. The administrator of this wonderful n informative form, Troy Roberts, has put a lot of work n thought in2 the features of same.

2. As a welcome new member :) wanting 2 find out bout a problem u shud’ve known 2 use the “SEARCH” function on this form that Troy has included as a useful tool. :yesnod Jus by typing in the keyword “OVERHEATING” u’da a seen at least 9 threads that referred 2 that issue. I can assure u that whatever ur ? was it was addressed there. Also, u cudda typed “COOLING FAN” u’da seen at least 10 threads pertaining 2 that keyword. It goes on n on from there. :yawn

3. Last but most certainly NOT least....LIGHTEN UP!!!! :lol My reply 2 ur thread was meant 2 b lighthearted n informative, as r a lot of my posts.

In closing I'd like 2 personally welcome u our Form, whatever meaning u choose 2 apply. And I hope that u find everything informative, pleasurable n most importantly, humorous till ur heart's content. :cheers

If u ever get down here 2 Ft Lauderdale....give me a heads up n we'll hav sum laffs. :lol
:cool

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
SSR17of25

First, OK, let's just start this relationship over again...... I will do those searches that you mentioned and see if it tells me how to turn my fans on sooner..... More on that later if I can find the answer.

Secondly, I may just take you up if I'm ever in Ft Lauderdale...........

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ssr Temp

Is Anyone Having Any Issues With Over-heating In The Ssr.....???

Ok....just Kidding.....glad Everyone Kissed And Made Up. Happy Turkey Day. Carnut

41 - 60 of 64 Posts