Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After more than 14 years and 220,550 miles . . . my 2003 Redline Red SSR was totaled by a young woman who was texting while driving. I'm inconsolable. My permagrin has turned upside down.

I'd love to buy another SSR, but you guys don't seem to want to let go of yours for a reasonable price, especially considering the fact that the availability of parts (or lack thereof) was a major factor that caused the insurance company to declare mine a total loss.

It's been a joy keeping up with all of you on this site. I'll miss the camaraderie and great information you've shared.

Before I go, I still have an original cover that has never been removed from its canvas bag container. So, I don't have a clue about what it looks like except that its black. It may or may not have a logo on it, and it probably has numerous creases after so many years.

I also kept the trailer hitch that's been used about 8 or 10 times over the years, and an after-market front-end & hood bra combo that was used for long trips until I noticed some paint damage on the fenders caused by the bra fluttering in the wind.

Keep Grinnin' Out There,
"Ceedy" Morgan

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
43,596 Posts
After more than 14 years and 220,550 miles . . . my 2003 Redline Red SSR was totaled by a young woman who was texting while driving. I'm inconsolable. My permagrin has turned upside down.

I'd love to buy another SSR, but you guys don't seem to want to let go of yours for a reasonable price, especially considering the fact that the availability of parts (or lack thereof) was a major factor that caused the insurance company to declare mine a total loss.

It's been a joy keeping up with all of you on this site. I'll miss the camaraderie and great information you've shared.

Before I go, I still have an original cover that has never been removed from its canvas bag container. So, I don't have a clue about what it looks like except that its black. It may or may not have a logo on it, and it probably has numerous creases after so many years.

I also kept the trailer hitch that's been used about 8 or 10 times over the years, and an after-market front-end & hood bra combo that was used for long trips until I noticed some paint damage on the fenders caused by the bra fluttering in the wind.

Keep Grinnin' Out There,
"Ceedy" Morgan
That’s terrible news that they wrote it off!! Glad you’re ok tho!! I’m sure one will turn up, sometimes you have to be really patient!!! You never know!!! Keep the faith brother!!

·
My First Permagrin !
572 Posts
There's a ton of nice trucks for sale just keep looking one is out their for you .
Prices are always negotiable if your budget is low you can always buy higher mileage truck .
Good luck on your quest for a new love ! Dave

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,755 Posts
Sad to see your post. Your truck already showed in the Vins of deceased thread. A couple of us had talked about why they totaled it rather then fix it. It didn't look like it had that bad of a hit in the pictured from the salvage pool pictures. It looked like maybe the front suspension took the worst of it. Did the insurance company off the option to buy it back?

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
"cw" :frown2: this is one thing I think about every time I take mine out for a cruise. 3 people killed last week, just 8 miles North of the house, just because one car crossed over the center line and hit an oncoming car head on. None were waring their seat belts either. No SSR's involved, however.

Don't give up, there seems to be a lot of excellent SSR's for sale out there, particularly in the 15 to 20 thousand dollar range. "cw" don't go away , summer time fun is just around the corner !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,229 Posts
I think if God forbid my R was totaled I'd take the engine cover insert off the R (if it had one) and have it framed. Something to remind me of my dearly departed. Or, I'd put it on my new R to remind me of my first.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I agree with Call201, it’s wise to do a stated value for the SSR. These insurance companies don’t seem to be doing their due diligence before totaling the vehicle. Paying marginal money after they total it, looking at the totaled R’s on the COPART website they all could be repaired. The bad, now you have a salvage/rebuildable title. My stated value is $35k and they wanted to have those receipts available which is not an issue, I keep a three ring binder with all my receipts. I think a lot of owners are getting burned by the insurance companies.

OLDxR

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,639 Posts

Keep Grinnin' Out There,
"Ceedy" Morgan

Glad no one was hurt. You have all those years and all those miles involved so don't give up now. Buy another one and get that Perma-Grin going again. Good luck and God bless.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
49,483 Posts
Man that sucks, with that many miles you really must of enjoyed it !!!!!!!!! :crying:

·
Ret. Air Force
3,726 Posts
...a young woman texting while driving...happened to me too, luckily not bad enough to salvage.

Sorry to state the obvious...but this is the newest epidemic of vehicle accidents, and sadly there is not a darn thing any one of us can do to avoid getting hit by a young person texting and driving.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
That happened to my Ford Expedition - girl was texting - totaled my expedition while it was parked, she got out of her car and said where did that car come from - she didn't even realize she hit a parked vehicle - AND she had TWO cell phones, but only had the minimum insurance coverage so her insurance only covered $10,000, my insurance had to cover the other $10,000 and my insurance company dropped me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When I got my R I checked with my State Farm agent as that is where all my vehicles are insured. They advised it it was totaled they have to go by "book value" so I went to Haggerty who, in the past, had my classic cars.

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts

Keep Grinnin' Out There,
"Ceedy" Morgan
Hey Ceedy - so sorry
I already saw your SSR on IAA and recorded it

If you want another SSR, call or email me - not sure if I can help but I would try
I keep records of all I can find for sale - but it is a struggle to weed through all the data I have accumulated
I will PM my contact info

Cash

1 - 20 of 36 Posts