Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 SSR with 4 speed auto tran....The first time I took it out of town I broke the cable in the transmission and it was stuck in gear and would not start. It is being fixed but I was wondering if I did damage by going thru the gears when I was driving. I assumed that the car had a 4 speed tran so you could shift as you were driving. How are other people driving their automatic SSR and have they had trouble with the cable and the transmission Scott

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
What you need "scott" is a Transmission Cable Fix Kit !!! PM Mike in AZ pronto. If you're in the Nashville, Tennessee, area I have an extra one I keep in my SSR in the event a Brother SSR needs one. Just let me know !!! Bob Alexander tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cable is being fixed. What I want to know is if other SSR owners with auto tran are shifting thru the gears when they drive or is this real hard on the transmission. I am assuming that I caused the cable to brake by doing something wrong when I was using the 4 speed auto tran like a manual transmission. How to other owners dirve their SSR's with auto tran.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
you don't Have to row the gears, as a general rule. Good rule of thumb if you're going to do this is replace both ends of the shifter cable. For "spirited driving" you could add an additional quart of oil, it will hold it. Good info in the "How To" Library.... Welcome and let us know your location....

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,630 Posts
Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out. I don't think you are doing anything bad to the trans. I occasionally go thru the gears manually but not at every stop/start. The problem is the Nylon bushing on the cable ends. The one at the trans lever is 3" from the converter and gets brittle and the cable comes off. If the shop fixes it with another nylon bushing you will have the same problem in the future. Go to the Library and read about it and get the UPGRADED repair kit, CHEAP. The cable end in the console has been failing lately and a repair for it also in the library.

Nick

·
Registered
333 Posts
I doubt that shifting through the gears is what caused the cable to come off. It happens to those who don't. It is just one of those parts that over time wear out and eventually break at the most inopportune times. I was fortunate that I was still in my garage when my went out.

Hopefully Greg Ducato (Transmission expert) will provide information. I do recall reading on a post that it is not a good practice to downshift on the Auto. I don't recall seeing anything on shifting on acceleration.

Greg

:yellow:

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
The cable is being fixed. What I want to know is if other SSR owners with auto tran are shifting thru the gears when they drive or is this real hard on the transmission. I am assuming that I caused the cable to brake by doing something wrong when I was using the 4 speed auto tran like a manual transmission. How to other owners dirve their SSR's with auto tran.
In town I put that "mother" in 3 and leave it there till I get on the highway!!! That's why I have a "Power Glide" (Automatic). 10 uh C cozydog :ssr

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
New Owner to do list.

Welcome, Your fortunate to have found this Club on the front end of your ownership. The cable issue is one of MANY issues you should address / get upgraded parts for before you find your self stranded again. Sure someone out there has a updated copy of the recommended upgrades you should do to assure your new owner experience is a good one. Many of the recommended upgrades / replacement parts can be found right here.

Take time to read the Tech Section on the forum that will help you better understand the SSR you just purchased.

"Long may you run"

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Welcome from northwest N.J.
Manually up shifting the 4L65E is not an issue. I do not recommend a daily routine of manually down shifting. The cable was going to break regardless of how you shifted. There will be no damage to the trans from this.
An aftermarket add on trans cooler is a good idea, as is the Corvette servo upgrade, and some use the AMSOIL Trans fluid for an upgrade over DEXTRON III.
Being a new owner of the truck, you have no idea how it was treated buy previous owners.
To be on the safe side, do a trans flush and DROP THE PAN, change the filter. Add either DEXTRON VI or AMSOIL Synthetic.
Greg Ducato of Phoenix Transmissions in Texas is the go to guy for transmission rebuilds/upgrades if you ever need one.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
For "spirited driving" you could add an additional quart of oil, it will hold it.
In the engine, not the trans. :lol

An aftermarket add on trans cooler is a good idea, as is the Corvette servo upgrade, and some use the AMSOIL Trans fluid for an upgrade over DEXTRON III.
Can't use DEXTRON III, must be DEXTRON VI.
Being a new owner of the truck, you have no idea how it was treated buy previous owners.
To be on the safe side, do a trans flush and DROP THE PAN, change the filter. Add either DEXTRON VI or AMSOIL Synthetic.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
It is OK to manual shift if you like, the computer controls shift points at the extremes so you aren't overriding its strategy. The manual shift will deliver a firmer shift which will decrease trans durability over time.

·
My First Permagrin !
570 Posts
Hi All ,
I agree with all of the comments above . It's cheap insurance to change out filter and fluid .
If your thinking about upgrading your transmission Greg Ducato is the Man !
I waited and did the Torque converter ,corvette servo, deep pan with Amzoil fluid .
I also added Mikes trans cooler .
I'm very happy with all of this work and haven't found the need to shift manually .
Good luck . Dave

·
Registered
503 Posts
The individual that owned my SSR before used the Automatic as a Manual.
When I brought it in for scheduled Transmission Service and to change the
upper Shift Bushings, the Technician showed how the Shift Assembly had been worn down.
Way too much play from years of rough Manual Shifting. I replaced it as recommended.
As I understand it, there are 3 computer settings for the Transmission: Mild, Aggressive and Very Aggressive. I had the Aggressive. Too much kick on Shifting for me, so I changed to Mild which was quiet and smooth for me. So, you can achieve the type of shifting that you would like
without slamming the shift assembly back and forth. Thus saving future repair costs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts