Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
LKMURKY
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All
Need to have my new R transported about a thousand miles from its current garage to my own.
Put out a bid to commercial transport companies, I got a hundred replies in a couple hours. Price ranges from about $540 to 1500 for the same trip. Avg price about $750. All in all it is cheaper to transport the vehicle than drive it, no mileage increase, no rocks, mud risk of collision paint chips etc.

Almost every vendor tells me all the rest of them are crooks and scam artists, especially ANYONE form Florida. Many comments on how their competitors might damage my vehicle or steal my money. Only their 5 star service can provide reliable service. Anyone have a company they could recommend, and any advice about what to look for and what to avoid? Also need guidance on how to do long distance title/$$$ exchange.
Anything you can help with is appreciated , it is awfully unsettling to do this remotely. Have no issues with the seller or the vehicle, he is one of us, just need help with the details.
Thanks,
Cary
LKMURKY

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
991 Posts
I understand your predicament.

Bought a vehicle in San Diego, CA that I hadn’t seen in years and transported it to Houston.

FedEx check to seller and title and paperwork was FedEx’d back to me. Stress...stress...stress.

I did all the calling around you’ve likely done and was inundated with calls and emails that left me feeling very uneasy and stressed about what I got into. It seemed several companies worked with independent contractors and tried to coordinate the various truckers and their routes. I needed a covered carrier and I ended up going with Reliable, which was a bit more $$, but I could not be happier. Reliable is the one with the big orange trucks at the auctions. Driver was professional and truck & trailer were clean/first rate. Pickup was on schedule and driver called as they got close to Houston. They even transported the spare engine, where others wouldn’t.

When he lit off the 454 (with side pipes, just below face level in the trailer), tears welled up... and then the fumes hit and I was transported to another time. My wife told me the kids ran away and their moms weren’t happy. I never knew and never thought a second about the extra $$ I spent for my piece of mind.

The SSR is worth it. It has a nice quick rap and sound. When it arrives, you’ll forget this hassle.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2005 aqua blurr
1,344 Posts
I used passport Transportation they also transport a lot of the auction cars. I was very happy with the service we had some issues getting it here on a timely manner but they did make it right by giving me a big discount but their service was great & car arrived in excellent condition.
They are on the more expensive side but they use enclosed trailers.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,871 Posts
Hi, All
Need to have my new R transported about a thousand miles from its current garage to my own.
Put out a bid to commercial transport companies, I got a hundred replies in a couple hours. Price ranges from about $540 to 1500 for the same trip. Avg price about $750. All in all it is cheaper to transport the vehicle than drive it, no mileage increase, no rocks, mud risk of collision paint chips etc.

Almost every vendor tells me all the rest of them are crooks and scam artists, especially ANYONE form Florida. Many comments on how their competitors might damage my vehicle or steal my money. Only their 5 star service can provide reliable service. Anyone have a company they could recommend, and any advice about what to look for and what to avoid? Also need guidance on how to do long distance title/$$$ exchange.
Anything you can help with is appreciated , it is awfully unsettling to do this remotely. Have no issues with the seller or the vehicle, he is one of us, just need help with the details.
Thanks,
Cary
LKMURKY

A suggestion if you have a few spare days buy a one way bus ticket and drive it home. That is what I did. Got a senior citizen and ex military discount. Smiling all the way and a lot cheaper. Got mine from an out of state dealer and they FedEx the paperwork and Signed title to me overnight. Worked perfectly.

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
I have used Pilot Transport for about 4 years. They are a major closed transport company that uses their own Kenworth and Peterbuilt tractors and trailers.They are headquartered in Wixom, Michigan in the heart of GM country. I am very satisfied.:jester

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
I used Passport for four vehicles - very professional, and a reasonable rate.

Reliable and Horseless Carriage are also good transporters.

I used a Uship trucker once, and that worked out OK, because he was hauling two SSRs to the same location. We paid on arrival.

When I needed to transport another vehicle from the Boston area, I called the same Uhaul shipper (Terry Delfrate Hauling). He gave me a good price on the trip if I prepaid it, but he burned me and never got the vehicle. All kinds of excuses, and after 6 months I had to get Passport to take care of it for me.

No recourse, because I didn't go through Uship.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I recently had the same experience trying to find a reliable transport and after dealing with so many I can't remember, decided to fly and drive 1200 mies from PA to south Fl this week. Most, if not all put requirement on web bulletin board by Broker and truckers bid so you don't know the cost until you accept bid. Broker is paid one fee and trucker gets another. Don't care for the process.
Florida John

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Hi, All

Thanks,
Cary
LKMURKY
Fly and drive

·
LKMURKY
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought about the bus, I have the time but it is in the middle of nowhere that we stop according to the bus company. Planefare is about 300, shuttle from the airport to the town is $90, about 200 in gas back to home, Motel for 2 nights and expenses are gonna be another $200 and it's never been in the rain don't want to spoil that first day with a 1000 mile kick on the odometer to boot. No real point buying a low mileage vehicle and adding 100 to the meter first day on an avoidable trip. Drive might be real nice, & I might get a chance to seen Greg & Jo on the return trip.
When it all adds up, it costs more to drive it than have it transported, & I avoid a 20 hour bus ride that does exist, the frustration of traveling alone to an unknown place via a series of connections I won't like. I'll get to see Gregg & Jo in April & May anyway. Transport just makes more sense I just need some experience from real people I can trust, and that is all of you.
HELP!!
Cary & Jeri Palmer
LKMURKY

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,586 Posts
I am transferring paper work via FedEx signature required. I am fortunate enough to have access to my own equipment to haul Sinister back home later this week. Cost wise with fuel and motel it will not save a lot of money but will give me peace of mind that it is being done my way. Only possible hassle will be the DOT at the weigh stations

·
2,416 Posts
I used intercity a few times. Used them in the last year. They go the extra mile and the truck is enclosed. My 02

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I don't remember who I used, BUT I STRONGLY suggest enclosed transport - I shipped mine with open transport - was very dirty - it is worth the extra $300 or so

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is your investment and hiring someone cheap is to much worry waiting and not knowing.
You get what you pay for in life.. Sometimes you can get away with cheap but more times it bites you in ass.
Fly out and drive it or pay for good carrier....good Luck with your SSR

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Car dealers do a boat load of transporting. If you've got a friend in that biz, ask them. They know who's good and who to trust.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They are a few independents I have used on East coast with enclosed trailers and have had good success.

I had a Model A truck shipped from Texas to NJ in a Carrier and buyer recommended.. I payed the truck and carrier to buyer.

Well he did not send money to carrier and when they arrived they wanted payment from me and of course I was upset.
So I called and he was honest and said to pay them and he would transfer into my account..
But you wonder but he did do transfer..
So funny the things that happen during purchasing long distance.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,586 Posts
It takes a lot of TRUST and a lot of WORRY to make a long distant purchase

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,871 Posts
Hi, All

Thanks,
Cary
LKMURKY

If you use a transporter company:
1. Make sure they have insurance.
2. Get your own insurance on the SSR before you move it just in case.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I used passport Transportation they also transport a lot of the auction cars. I was very happy with the service we had some issues getting it here on a timely manner but they did make it right by giving me a big discount but their service was great & car arrived in excellent condition.
They are on the more expensive side but they use enclosed trailers.
Last spring we had a new corvette shipped from Ohio to Florida. The dealer suggested Passport and we could not have been more disappointed!! Our car was the last one loaded and was supposed to be the first one delivered. However the driver had other ideas. Instead of coming down the west coast of Florida first he chose the east coast. Plus he stopped for an entire day at Road Atlanta (Passport provides GPS tracking so you can track your car's location) later told us he was there for a photo shoot of another car. When the car finally arrived over a week late the driver was filthy, he looked like Pigpen in the comic strip. Also the car had grease & dirt on the ragtop & drivers' seat. Passport offered no compensatio. Being the last car loaded it was taken off several times along the way to load or unload other cars. We would not use them again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts