Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with a gentleman tody who indicated GM is doing testing on a SSR with a 502 installed.

He did not know if it would be a production combination, but stated that the Ford Lightning and the new viper motor Dodge have some folkes at GM in a tither and they want their little SSR up to the task of dealing with those.

Very interesting.

F

·
0 Posts
Right on it TRUE!

GM has got to get with the program! The Dodge SRT with the viper engine is awesome as a buddy of mine took me for a ride in his! I'm no stranger to performance as my company car before this SSR was a 03 Z06. I'll be selling my 04 SSr as soon as I can get a local dealer to take my order for a 05 6.0! Fred :reddevil :cool :flag

·
Registered
180 Posts
The big boy

geunther said:
I talked with a gentleman tody who indicated GM is doing testing on a SSR with a 502 installed.

He did not know if it would be a production combination, but stated that the Ford Lightning and the new viper motor Dodge have some folks at GM in a tither and they want their little SSR up to the task of dealing with those.

Very interesting.
Let's not stop there, let's go with GM's new crate engine. I'm not sure but I think it is a 568 putting out about 640 HP. This big boy should push this heavy truck with the other competition. :flag

·
Registered
222 Posts
Please stop!!!!!

Please stop all this talk bout 502's-568's n crate motors..... :nono

I'm shaking all over...i'm drooling down on my keyboard n shortin everything out. :nopity :cry

Please I can't stand any more. :nopity Hav u no pity on the elderly who actually remember those days. :nopity

C'mon General...GIVE US SUMTHIN 2 PLAY WITH... :confused a GIANT RAT MOTOR!!! :thumbs

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Though the 502 would be something to behold, I too am going to trade for the 6.0/6 speed when they are available. That should be a good balance between performace and driveability for the road trips I bought this baby for.

Not that the 502 would not be incredible around town.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Making it seriously hot...

Ok, if we're going to talk serious performance, we have to address two factors: one, the weight problem, and, two, the cooling problem.

On the weight issue, aren't we really adding significantly MORE weight to our 4700 pound beauty, and thus to our performance problem, by putting in a 502, or a 568? I mean, the gain in horsepower is going to be offset by the increase in iron...

And on the cooling front, these things ALREADY have a problem. It gets over a hundred here in Fresno quite often, and if you have to sit, engine idling, on the black asphalt parking lot, waiting in line at the In 'n Out Burger drive up window (best double cheeseburgers on the frickin' planet!), you can actually SEE the needle creeping up... So, adding a huge iron-block will present some probs.

I have a solution! How about a factory installed supercharger - stacked onto the 6.0 liter, small block, 6-speed, stickshift aluminum V-8 chevy is already offering for 2005? If Chevy eliminates the "detuning" nonsense, this engine starts out at 400 hp. The supercharger should boost things up to around 515 to 520 horses! AND, without a significant increase... AND, if it's done right, without cooling problems!!!

Now that's what I'm talking about! 520 hp, realistically, in this vehicle? There would be several hundred thousand of us prospective buyers (with the money to do something about it) drooling and wetting the seat covers, simultaneously!

Think about it, Chevy Masters!

Cheers,

Randy :flag

·
Registered
349 Posts
Big Motors and In 'n' Out

Great observations on the future prospects of the bigger engine sizes. But more importantly, about the only drawback to moving to Flagstaff is that there is no In 'n' Out Burger!! :mad The closest one is Prescott, a couple of hours away! Aha! Sounds like another SSR road trip! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
patriotic eats....

There's nothing more American, Peaches, than sitting in a red Chevy convertible, top down, at In 'n Out, eating a fresh, hot, double-double cheeseburger (they grill the buns in butter, and the onions are grilled in butter, too!), with sizzling 'fries and a chocolate shake! Yeah, baby! Screw the calories, all the cholesterol, fat AND vegetarian political correctness! (Just work it off, later, at the gym, or somewhere...)

"Baseball, hotdogs, apple-pie and Chevrolet... and now, SSR's!!!!"

Cheers,

·
Registered
222 Posts
In n Out Burger

redroadster said:
There's nothing more American, Peaches, than sitting in a red Chevy convertible, top down, at In 'n Out, eating a fresh, hot, double-double cheeseburger (they grill the buns in butter, and the onions are grilled in butter, too!), with sizzling 'fries and a chocolate shake! Yeah, baby! Screw the calories, all the cholesterol, fat AND vegetarian political correctness! (Just work it off, later, at the gym, or somewhere...)

"Baseball, hotdogs, apple-pie and Chevrolet... and now, SSR's!!!!"

Cheers,

U mean u actually let'm hang a car window tray on ur door???? :nono :eek U shud b ashamed
of urself. ;)

:cool

·
Registered
31 Posts
trays? we don' need no stinkin' trays...

No trays at In 'n Out, my friend. They give you an oblong, open-top cardboard box, from the window, with your burgers, fries and whatever, lined up inside. They also give you a cool paper mat (to catch the drips and errant fries), with a so-cal scene (like a hot rod pulling up to the window) embossed, for the "eat- the burgers-in-your-car" crowd (like me).

Gotta try it if you're ever out this way!

Cheers,

·
Registered
349 Posts
In 'n' Out

That did it!!! In 'n' Out-bound this weekend! My kid always orders a 4 by 5. (That's 4 burger patties and 5 cheese slices.) The shakes aren't any good, but the burgers are the best. (I've got to quit this drooling. . . . ) :seeya

·
Registered
181 Posts
ssr170f25.

I too remember those days when you could drop into a GM dealership and order all sorts of "monsters". I just dug out an old 1967 GM order pamphlet (I'm a pack rat and save everything) and here are some of the order options and prices: 1967 Corvette Sting Ray, coupe $4,353, convertible $4,141. Base 327, 300hp was the factory motor. For $437.10 extra you could get the 427 cu.in., 435hp, tri-power motor. Close-ratio 4-spd. was an extra $184.35. Cast aluminum wheels were $263.30. For $5,000 you could have built a 435hp Sting Ray convertible that would probably be worth in the $75,000 to $100,000 today. Yeah, those were the days. Just wish I would have had the $5,000 back then and the hindsight to have bought and KEPT one of these cars!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Real POWER

The 502 would make the SSr very front heavy.... how about the new handbuilt Z06 (or whatever it will be) intended for the C6..... with a really good 6 or 7 speed automatic....... in place of the crummy M32....... :party :party

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
SSRGUY said:
The 502 would make the SSr very front heavy.... how about the new handbuilt Z06 (or whatever it will be) intended for the C6..... with a really good 6 or 7 speed automatic....... in place of the crummy M32....... :party :party
Yes D!

I think you got the right combo... even though I love the big block which is now called the "L-18". I work at the plant that has built the BIG BLOCK "Mark" Engine... for many years. It was slated to die many times in the early 70's especially when the gas crunch was on in (1973) That’s when I bought my first "454" 73 Corvette! Again, I loved that big block! I am sad to hear that the V-10 will be replacing our famous big boy in a couple of years...

I remember driving a proto-type 90 ZR-2 "454" convertible from Detroit to Tonawanda for our annual GM Powertrain Car Show. It had a racing 6-speed tranny in it. WOW loved driving that car! It was one of a kind for sure.

PS OH well :( I think a strong 6.0 L and less weight might be the only way GM will ever build them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Snark???

OK, here's 1 4 ya...does any1 remember the "Snark" or "Shark" Prototype back in the mid 2 late 60's? ;)

:cool

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
427 Smallblock

:cool :cool :cool

The engine that would work in the SSR would be the 427 SMALLBLOCK.

***This is a modified 6.0 liter (if I remember right)
***All aluminum engine
***427 cu. in.
****750 hp @ 6500 rpm
****800+ hp @ 8000 rpm

This engine was used to power the C-5 based "TIGER SHARK" prototype. In fact this is where some of the C-6 styling comes from.

*Same size should not add much weight.
*Overheating should be no worse than the 6.0 liter.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course GM would have to detune it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts