but what is a ssr why you ask?
mine will be going overseas
how many think its
a] car
b] roadster
c] truck
d] all above
this is for customs use for import:smile2:

Canada here - when buying mine I had it re-registered from TRUCK to a CAR so I could transfer my vanity plates. Appears, north of the border it can be either. I suspect you need to know what it is registered as for the country it is being imported to, not where it is being imported from. But I'd suspect truck would be accepted almost everywhere, where Car would possibly be less common

·
BlueStreak
26,922 Posts

Canada here - when buying mine I had it re-registered from TRUCK to a CAR so I could transfer my vanity plates. Appears, north of the border it can be either. I suspect you need to know what it is registered as for the country it is being imported to, not where it is being imported from. But I'd suspect truck would be accepted almost everywhere, where Car would possibly be less common
There was a lot of discussion about this in the early years. A search might turn up some of the threads. Some discussion about a car being less expensive to license or a truck needing commercial plates. Be careful if you decide to go the car route because if you take the bed cover off it might suddenly become a truck and be in violation. Just one of the arguments.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,480 Posts
In Connecticut an SSR can be registered as either a pasenger car or a Combination vehicle. The latter applies to trucks such as pickups that are not used exclusively for commercial use and typically exceed the gross weight rating of a passenger car. A full size pickup under a certain weight limit, privately owned and not used commercially, can be registered as a passenger car. Take your pick for an SSR.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,806 Posts
GM classified it as a Truck. That said, some States, Counties, Clerks (less vanity plates) chose to agree to register as Other than a Truck. Then, here comes the Berries & Cherries (Law) and pulls you over for having the Wrong Plates on said vehicle. Who pays and Who wins.... may be, the Same person.... Afterall, it's only money.... have some Fun with it....

·
SSR Driver
1,441 Posts
GM classified it as a Truck. That said, some States, Counties, Clerks (less vanity plates) chose to agree to register as Other than a Truck. Then, here comes the Berries & Cherries (Law) and pulls you over for having the Wrong Plates on said vehicle. Who pays and Who wins.... may be, the Same person.... Afterall, it's only money.... have some Fun with it....
I'd believe if the Government (Ministry of Transportation in Canada) formally registers it as a car or truck the police would have difficulty penalizing the owner for their mistake (should they deem it a mistake)

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,806 Posts
I'd believe if the Government (Ministry of Transportation in Canada) formally registers it as a car or truck the police would have difficulty penalizing the owner for their mistake (should they deem it a mistake)
Would they Let it Be, or make the owner change it.....

·
SSR Driver
1,441 Posts
Would they Let it Be, or make the owner change it.....
If they cared and assuming they were right (and even we have multiple opinions) they would certainly have you change it. But again the Police would be making a decision contrary to the Government organization chartered with making that decision. It would be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
13,610 Posts
The SSR is a truck, built on a Trail Blazer frame, not a car but do it the cheapest way as someone mentioned it is questionable by some - it is a roadster which I think was one of your options, but it is a TRUCK
I am rather opinionated mind you - HaHa!
My 89 AMG 560 SEC Benz is a car and being single I am not a 2 car family

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the help
i think it will be the only over hear [ there is a tale that one is hear but no one has seen it ]
so am sure customs will be going what the hell is that
but trucks pay less then cars so that's a good thing
don't plan on telling them its a roadster .
thinking nightmare customs playing / showing everyone
look it goes up and down:surprise:
thanks again
john

·
SSR Driver
1,441 Posts
thanks for all the help
i think it will be the only over hear [ there is a tale that one is hear but no one has seen it ]
so am sure customs will be going what the hell is that
but trucks pay less then cars so that's a good thing
don't plan on telling them its a roadster .
thinking nightmare customs playing / showing everyone
look it goes up and down:surprise:
thanks again
john
Best of luck, hopefully, it will be an easy process for you. Think you're making the right decision.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In British Columbia, Canada we have a classification called DUAL PURPOSE. Not a car, not a truck, cheaper than a truck to insure and a lower annual registration fee. Other vehicles in the same class are Blazers, Jimmy's, Bronco's, the Trailblazer is in the same class and can be registered as either. My "R" is currently registered as a truck but I am in the process of making my pitch to the motor vehicle branch to reregister as a dual purpose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts