Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
05Rhodster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon SSR nation. I live in central NH. I will soon need to be winterizing my SSR for the first time and wonder if anyone has advice for what to do and not to do. It will be stored in a non heated garage until its time for the 2018 Daytona Rally. I would appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks.
Rhodster05

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I don't live in New Hampshire, but make sure you start it up once a week or say every Saturday. Let it run 10 or 15 minutes (of course with the garage door UP !!!) Surely you have at least one day a month it is fairly nice and you could at least drive it "around the block" once or twice. Just my opinion. Here in Tennessee we have several nice days in December, January & February so that's no problem with me. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
05Rhodster
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, where I live in NH, I am lucky to get off my class 6 road with my 4 wheel drive in December...I may have to trailer the SSR to the end of the road so I can make it to Daytona for the spring rally...

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
You aren't getting much advice here so I will add a couple thoughts/opinions
I park mine December through February, March some years
I have a heated garage so not the same thing exactly
Rather than py insurance year round I often place a storage policy covering fire/theft so driving around the block is not an option.
Some say occasional startups causes condensation in the block by heating it up then leaving it sit in cold conditions.
I just leave mine on the battery tender while in storage

- Add some fuel stabilizer, then top up the tank
- Battery tender of course
- I leave my windows down or at least open slightly
- still have not made up my mind on this -change the oil before you put it away/wait until spring and change early
- if you have any rodent issues take some preventative measures

·
Premium Member
9,319 Posts
Of all the suggestions to date, most critical is to keep the driver's window down 1/2". If the battery is not on a tender and goes dead, you can damage the upper window seal because the window won't index when you open the door.

·
Premium Member
9,319 Posts
Damn, Cash, New Hampshire is not exactly in the Arctic Circle where you live !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr
You need a refresher course in geography and climatology. Cash is a few miles south of the arctic circle in a desert climate. Not exactly Arizona, but not Tuktoyaktuk either.

A couple of tidbits about climate, documenting Kamloops is warmer in winter than Concord, NH. I didn't post summer stats for Kamloops, but mean July daytime temp is about 85 F.

New Hampshire has a changeable climate, with wide variations in daily and seasonal temperatures. Summers are short and cool, winters long and cold. Concord has a normal daily mean temperature of 46°F (8°C), ranging from 21°F (–6°C) in January to 70°F (21°C) in July. The record low temperature, –46°F (–43°C), was set at Pittsburg on 28 January 1925; the all-time high, 106°F (41°C) at Nashua, 4 July 1911

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/states/New-Hampshire-Climate.html#ixzz4vE8oLC53

The climate of Kamloops is semi-arid (Köppen climate classification BSk) due to its rain shadow location. Because of milder winters and aridity, the area west of Kamloops in the lower Thompson River valley falls within Köppen climate classification BWk climate. Kamloops gets short cold snaps where temperatures can drop to around −20 °C (−4 °F) when Arctic air manages to cross the Rockies and Columbia Mountains into the Interior.

The January mean temperature is −2.8 °C (27 °F). That average sharply increases with an average maximum temperature of 4.3 °C (40 °F) in February. The average number of days where temperatures drop below −10 °C (14 °F) per year is 19.9 as recorded by Environment Canada.

The highest temperature ever recorded in Kamloops was 41.7 °C (107 °F) on 27 July 1939 and 16 July 1941. The coldest temperature ever recorded was −38.3 °C (−37 °F) on 16 & 18 January 1950.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Thanks Flassh, good info ... never too old to learn. At my age I hope I can remember the above. With those figures it would appear you could get the SSR out for a few hours on a nice day, No chance ??? Again thank you. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
9,319 Posts
Thanks Flassh, good info ... never too old to learn. At my age I hope I can remember the above. With those figures it would appear you could get the SSR out for a few hours on a nice day, No chance ??? Again thank you. tennesseecozydog :ssr
Generally, quite possible to be out into December, but I purchase 6 months of road insurance ahead of time, so generally parked around Nov 1. If we have a bit of a snowfall early to mid November, it generally melts pretty quickly but the sand stays.:crying:

Off the road a bit earlier this year. Supercharger is back at Magnuson after eating something it shouldn't have, and suffering from severe indigestion.:frown2:

·
Premium Member
31,286 Posts
Obviously, we don't get as much snow down here near DC as you do up there. But, I usually "park" the 'R in December and hook up the ctek. The one thing I did last year was to pump the tires up to about 40 PSI to help prevent any flat spotting. Given the way they salt the roads here, it's usually around March when I can get it out again. I don't bother to start it unless it's to move it out of the garage.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Every day, every way.
Gee Mom, I can't come to MA for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter because there's salt on the road. Yeah right.
And I'm not stepping down to a Caddy, BMW, or Merc, I deserve better. :harhar:

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
42,700 Posts
Obviously, we don't get as much snow down here near DC as you do up there. But, I usually "park" the 'R in December and hook up the ctek. The one thing I did last year was to pump the tires up to about 40 PSI to help prevent any flat spotting. Given the way they salt the roads here, it's usually around March when I can get it out again. I don't bother to start it unless it's to move it out of the garage.
As someone who “parks” the toys from October to May, I tend to overfill the tires, fuel stabilizer, battery tenders, and rodent control of Irish Spring and dryer sheets, I also do not start them as you can’t build up enough heat in the drivetrain just idling them. In the spring they get a full check over and an oil change.
They have already put salt down here so nothing moves till the streets are swept in April/May they do love their gravel and salt here!!!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
:frown2: :frown2: :frown2: :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,060 Posts
I agree with what is said so far. A Battery Tender is a must. It is not a battery charger. Chargers tend to over charge and cook the battery. A tender keeps the charge fully up and then the green light comes on and it goes into float mode. If the battery goes down it comes back on automatically and recycles. The other thing to remember is if it is in storage the building insurance will not cover damage or fire loss of any kind. It needs auto insurance. Many companies won't let you drop it for the winter because of this. Discuss it fully with you insurance agent. Like they said just starting it and just letting it run for a few minutes is not good for it. Make sure the coolant is correct for the temps in your area. Check around and put some feelers out and you might find a heated garage to store it in. Check the phone book, internet, elderly or disabled folks that don't have a vehicle anymore but have a heated garage and could use some extra money from the storage you would pay them. Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very good advice from everyone. Personal experience with a muscle car has shown just starting a car occasionally for 15-30 minutes and letting it idle caused enough condensation to let water sit in the mufflers and start the rusting process. Maybe not an issue with newer stainless systems. Enough moisture got in the oil pan to turn the oil milky. Tranny fluid too. In the mid-west we get enough good days to drive our toys in the Winter. Then again, I'm that psycho people used to point and stare at riding his motorcycle on a below freezing day in January.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,071 Posts
I have been working with a company that makes a device to spread out the load of a parked tire and eliminate the generation of flat spots. They shipped me a set in June of this year. Simply put, it is a parking pad that matches the curve of the tire.

In past years, I have had my SSR parked for a couple months in one spot and it took me as much as a week to get the tires round again. Those days are gone.

I have not finished the details of the drop-ship connection or tested that connection yet, but I am confident that I'll have it done in the coming days. After that, I'll have them available in my web store. I am certain this is something that is needed across the northern tier SSR fleet...... and even in my garage.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
You aren't getting much advice here so I will add a couple thoughts/opinions
I park mine December through February, March some years
I have a heated garage so not the same thing exactly
Rather than py insurance year round I often place a storage policy covering fire/theft so driving around the block is not an option.
Some say occasional startups causes condensation in the block by heating it up then leaving it sit in cold conditions.
I just leave mine on the battery tender while in storage

- Add some fuel stabilizer, then top up the tank
- Battery tender of course
- I leave my windows down or at least open slightly
- still have not made up my mind on this -change the oil before you put it away/wait until spring and change early
- if you have any rodent issues take some preventative measures
Exactly what I did today and have been doing for years plus increase tire psi to 36 as the cold will likely bring it down some over the months. I'm in the camp of changing oil just prior to placing in storage.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts