Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back story: was sitting in park SSR cuts off. Cranks back up. After 5 min it cuts off again. Key locked won’t come out and won’t crank. No lights no clicks nothing.

I checked the fuse box. Pushed on the fuses to make sure nothing was loose 20 seconds later I hear a click from the fuse box and the lights come back on and it will crank.

I drive it home and when I turn the SSR off. Same problem, dead, no lights won’t crank nothing. Won’t even lock with the remote.

Ingntion switch was replaced 2 years ago but this sounds like an electrical issue with the fuse box. Any idea where I should start?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I had this exact problem. It was the connection to the battery in back. There is some rubber around the connectors and just a bit had wiggled itself loose and was in between the connector and battery knob. Trimmed it off with a pocket knife and all was well. I did not figure this out, my neighbor helped. Sherry

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Won't Start

It's well-documented that the fuse box issue is heat-related (truck won't start when warm) and also that the truck will crank but not start if the fuse box is as fault. I agree that checking for loose connections at the battery, frame and body grounds, red junction box and at the fuse box itself would be the first steps based on your described symptoms. Next would be to test the battery. Low voltage will cause the key to lock in the ignition.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,656 Posts
Replace "Y" Negative Battery cable, it won't charge if you have bad connection and/or your Alternator is bad.

Look at BATTERY CABLE FIX on SSR How to Library also check STARTER PROBLEM 05/06.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Part# on "How to".

Dicktator

1. Bad Ground!
2. Bad Ground at Battery!
3. Bad Ground on Body, GLOWS in dark!
4. Frame Ground
5. New Negative Cable from NAPA. (GM doesn't make them)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is that possible the voltage drop but you haven't notice?
I think there is probably a wire that is rubbed bare to only a few strands making a high resistance and lowering the voltage.
The starter I bought on Hex auto parts don't work and the battery is fully charged.
After much time and diagnosis, found that the voltage getting to the solenoid was down to 9V.
With this poor fix,it works well.
Good luck,man.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,656 Posts
05/06 SSR had problem at solenoid/starter, not "tight" from Factory.

Go to STARTER PROBLEM 05/06 on How to Library.

Dicktator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts