Chevy SSR Forum banner

SSR Wont Start

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  richsadams 
#1 ·
my 2006 slingshot won't start - ran good up until yesterday while turning the key in the ignition it was slow to turn over but started - thinking maybe the battery I drove it for over an hour - got home and backed it into the garage and shut it off - 1/2 hour later tried to start it and all dash lights and warning lights come on gauges move back and forth right to left - radio comes on lights come on windows and door locks work - just an hour ago tried to jump it with no luck ? - I do hear something under the hood humming when I try to start it but Im not sure what?

#3 ·
just bought the SSR Saturday- previous owner told me the battery is 3-4 years old and that he kept the battery tender on because he only drove it about 400 miles a month on average - going to install new battery and go from there - any recommendations on which brand of battery ? thx

#4 · (Edited)
Lots of threads about batteries. Interstate (Group 78) continues to come out on top these days.

Read @Dicktator's "Battery Change" DIY here:

Or here:

Also read "Battery Cable Fix" for the ground cable. Loose and/or corroded negative battery cable contacts at frame and body can prevent starting.

Simple Engineering sells a replacement ground cable.

The ignition requires a minimum 9 volts to start the engine. Anything less may illuminate the dash lights, etc. but will not start the engine.

Hope that helps!

#5 ·

Just an FYI, @mikes mid-life . . .

Many years ago, while wandering around the Barrett-Jackson's Vender Area, I learned the value of Battery Tenders. The Doophus's first battery lasted about 2.5 years. After investing in and using a DelTran Battery Tender Plus on a regular basis, the second and third batteries each made it to 7 plus years.

Needless to say, I am totally convinced that a Battery Tender Plus is an investment . . . NOT an expense.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

#16 ·
Just an FYI, @mikes mid-life . . .

Many years ago, while wandering around the Barrett-Jackson's Vender Area, I learned the value of Battery Tenders. The Doophus's first battery lasted about 2.5 years. After investing in and using a DelTran Battery Tender Plus on a regular basis, the second and third batteries each made it to 7 plus years.

Needless to say, I am totally convinced that a Battery Tender Plus is an investment . . . NOT an expense.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !
Thanks Doophus !

#7 ·
Battery! SSR needs 9 Volts to start, battery has 12, (hopefully), that only leaves 3 volts!

3 years!! To old!!

Check Alternator for output.

How to Library: New folder - OneDrive (live.com)

Dicktator
Hello Dicktator, I just checked voltage at the post and GND near alternator reads 12.18 V and when turning key in ignition 11.18 V ?

Ps - Thanks for the help !

#12 ·
Agree with @USSR. But I would check voltage at battery directly, while cranking. If it drops below 9 volts. Battery is weak, maybe it can be recharged and your jump connections weren't good.

If voltage at battery stays close to 10 volts. Repeat while cranking underhood, if that's below 9 you have a connection problem somewhere.

Alternator has nothing to do with Engine cranking and the computer monitored charging systems are pretty reliable about about turning on battery light or displaying message in driver information center.

Might be harder to remove battery than alternator, but easier to do a few tests before removing anything.

Just my thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.